Roadmap

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Peter Smith, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

I understood the purpose of a Roadmap to be to indicate what it is intended to be done; to what, (by whom) and by what date/time.

Changing a roadmap every few days/weeks to fit in with what you are actually doing, defeats the purpose entirely. It's indicative of poor and arbitrary planning. (It also fools readers into falsely believing the roadmap is always on schedule!!)

Let's see a Roadmap that is carefully planned; and then let's see a parallel progress report that indicates to what extent the roadmap is being followed; and where progress is ahead of expectations; or where there have been delays (with reasons and corrective steps that have been taken to get back on track).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

However the roadmap is useful to know what is being worked on , for reasons such as money , discussion and speculation

• Like Like x 3
  3. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

I agree: But that does not mean the Roadmap cannot be reported on via progress reports. Updating it to reflect what is being done (instead of what should be being done in accordance with a carefully designed plan (Roadmap), is a pointless exercise). It is a WASTE of money to keep rewriting the roadmap because it indicates poor planning and also rudderless management. In other words: "We can do what we want, we can always change the Roadmap to fit in with it."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  4. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

The roadmap is to tell us what's being worked on, not when it will be released or with any time frame, we never know when something is being released until we're given a release date.
    Nothing is delayed unless the date gets moved after we have been given a release date. I don't understand what you're problem is, the roadmap works exactly as planned.

• Like Like x 5
  5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The roadmap's intention is to tell us what's coming.

That's it.

It's the definition of a roadmap - a forward plan, if you will.

• Like Like x 4
  6. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm fine with the roadmap as is. It's just a clear list of what is being worked on, with a rough indication of where it is (in planning, in production, upcoming, etc.).

Knowing what is being done (and by whom) is up to seperate articles, like the ones we have already gotten (on the Rush Hour routes for example), and dates will only be released when DTG is absolutely certain that release date can actually be achieved, which is how I like it. I don't think it's worth it to have a release date months in advance, just to get frustrated by delays.

All in all, the roadmap isn't a schedule or progress report, those are for DTG internally. The roadmap only serves to tell us what is being worked on or going to be worked on, and is performing that task well.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree that the Roadmap is a useful idea and works as intended in a general way. But I can understand why some people would find it vague and a bit maddening, as I have sometimes. I agree with the OP that some broad timescale would be a useful enhancement, especially for dlc releases, even if it was something like "Fall 2021" or "Spring 2022" as has been done with Rush Hour. When Cane Creek first appeared on the Roadmap ( the first one I think), it would have helped to have had the append "Summer 2021*. I'm sure, as with any company, DTG has its own internal target dates, that might be shared with the community in a very general way.

*I know it was a third party project, but there would certainly have been a rough target date.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021