"route Default" Setting For Units

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pschlik, Dec 15, 2017.

?
  1. Using the units I like on all routes

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Using the units that belong on each route

20 vote(s)
    87.0%
  1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I like that we can now choose to continue using units we like even in routes where those units are not used, so someone who only wants to use MPH and ratio gradients can do that.
    But personally, I understand what is going on better when I use the correct units for each route. However, TSW does not cater to the person who wants to do things the TS2018 way...which I think is pretty dumb. I don't see any reason why to be forcing everyone to use the same units on every single route, forcing them to change the unit settings when changing routes in order to keep things realistic-we really need an extra setting in each unit type to automatically change them to match the route we drive.

"Route Default" on Measurement Units would put mph and yards in CSX and GWE, then kph and meters in RT

"Route Default" on Temperature Units would put Fahrenheit in CSX, and Celsius in GWE and RT.

"Route Default" on Gradient Units would use % in CSX, ratio in GWE, and meters per kilometer in RT (meters per kilometer does not exist as an option! It really should, as it is just % x 10, a super simple calculation)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

I asked that same thing on train simulator website and this is the answer from Trainsim-Steve:
    "You need to accept that there are many players that don't play the same way you do".
    Well yeah...

• [​IMG]
      • nickhawk
      • 11th December 2017 at 8:36 pm
      Will there be a new game option added to have miles for US/UK routes and kilometers for german DLC? Like it was in the old TS?
      • [​IMG]
        • TrainSim-Steve
        • 12th December 2017 at 8:08 am
        That feature was added with Great Western Express Daniel, you can set your own unit of measure. Train Sim World will give you greater control over these things and does not force you to use units you may not be familiar with
        • [​IMG]
          • nickhawk
          • 12th December 2017 at 9:10 am
          Really? I though it was only possible to switch all routes to mph OR kmh, not a mix of both where every DLC uses the measure that is in the country used.
          I have to check the options again later.
          • [​IMG]
            • nickhawk
            • 12th December 2017 at 8:32 pm
            I checked the options again, and i only can select imperial or metric… but if want miles on US-routes and kilometers on German routes? I dont see an option for this.
            • [​IMG]
              • TrainSim-Steve
              • 13th December 2017 at 8:14 am
              You would select the option that best suits the experience you’re intending to play, Daniel. Some players only like to drive with mph across every route and some only km/h, so the option allows everyone to select what they feel is most appropriate without being forced into one particular option or another
            • [​IMG]
              • nickhawk
              • 13th December 2017 at 9:29 am
              I don’t think you understand what I mean, I don’t want to choose between kmh or mph. I don’t want to switch between kmh for German routes and mph for us or UK routes all the time.
              If I start a UK route I want units in mph, If I start a German route in kmh, without allways changing the units in the options.
              • [​IMG]
                • TrainSim-Steve
                • 13th December 2017 at 9:51 am
                I understand exactly what you mean Daniel but you need to accept that there are many players that don’t play the same way you do

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Interesting way for a company representative to act on their official account.

It seemed pretty clear what you were asking after you clarified yourself in your response. Instead of answering the question he kind of just blew it off in an insulting tone.

To bring it back to the topic at hand, I agree that this could be a good option. I personally may not use it but then again .. many players don't play the same way I do; so options are nice.

• Like Like x 5
  4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Yeah that is a surprisingly jerky move on Steve's part. "Not everyone plays like you" is about the most BS card any game company can play. To that I say "Right back at you-not everyone plays like YOU either!" It is so stupidly hypocritical to slap down someone's request because "not 100% of people play that way" as if 100% of people play any way at all. Yes, not everyone wants to use the units that fit with each route, but not everyone wants to use only the units they know.

Excuses excuses ex-freaking-cuses! That's all this is. The'll probably brush off ignoring everything that we all want because there's one person out there who doesn't want that, letting them say "Not everyone wants that" as if a unanimous decision even exists in this darn world.

• Like Like x 6
  5. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I would like to see the game stick to the units that are used on the route, so that I don't have to switch myself. I look a lot at the signs that I pass outside, I don't want to have to do conversions between the units that I see outside versus the units that I see on the HUD.

Take GWE for example: I'm a Dutch guy, so I would prefer to have speeds displayed in KPH and distances in metres. However, since GWE is located in the UK every single sign will be in MPH* so I'll have to remember to convert "80" to "about 130 km/h", or I'll go way too slow for the timetable.

The opposite is true as well - if you're from the UK and you've set the units to MPH while you're driving on Rapid Transit, you'll have to remember to convert "120" back to "75 mph" or you'll be going way too fast (well, as fast as the Talent2 lets you go!).

* With the exception of HS1 of course, but that's offtopic as HS1 is not in TSW.

6. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

To counter DTG Steve's reply, correct me if I am wrong, but was this not how TS20XX was (units determined by location of the route)? Like, how most users who have played in the Railworks/DTG series have been used to and how they used to play? So would that not be how most users play since that is what we are accustomed to, and that is how speed limits are imposed along that route?

7. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

I Rather have the correct units for the route to.. Otherwise you cant play right.. If you have signs that telle you the max speed you can drive in miles but you see km/u then you constantly driving at the wrong speed

8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Exactly; the first time I sat down to play Rapid Transit and shortly out of the station PZB locked up on me because I was traveling at 45mph, not 45kmh.

So, now I have to remember to switch the units for each route. That's not too difficult at the moment with just three routes but going forward? Imagine next year that DTG released a route in Japan, Canada and South Africa. I have no idea off the top of my head which units of measurement those countries use. I mean Canada and South Africa, both Commonwealth countries, with clear ties back to the UK might be using miles although I doubt it.

The point is I don't want to get to a point down the line where I'm maintaining a cheatsheet of routes and units so I know what I'm doing.

9. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Steve repllied to a comment i made after the comments i posted above. This sounds better, so its not the final decision to keep only the two options to chosse between mph or kmh. :) I hope we see soon a third option with "route default" setting.

• [​IMG]
      • TrainSim-Steve
      • 13th December 2017 at 9:51 am
      I understand exactly what you mean Daniel but you need to accept that there are many players that don’t play the same way you do
      • [​IMG]
        • nickhawk
        • 13th December 2017 at 10:11 am
        Yes but why dont give us more options so everybody can setup the game for its own style? I just want it like it was in the “old” Train Simulator.
        I play all DLC, german, UK and US but if i set the units to kmh it makes no sense for me to have kmh on a UK or US route as all the (US-) signals and speed signs are in mph but then the HUD is showing kmh.
        Well if this is your decision we have to decicde between kmh or mph for ALL routes from ALL countries then it is for me a huge step backwards. Then i have to change it allways in the settings if i drive a UK/US-route after a german route wich is just very inconvenient.
        • [​IMG]
          • TrainSim-Steve
          • 15th December 2017 at 9:33 am
          I’m not disagreeing with you Daniel, I think it’s a fair point and, at least for the moment, how it works means you have to set it manually. As with all of these suggestions, they do get recorded and put in front of the guys that are making the software so please don’t despair, I’m sure some proper thought will be put into it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I have no idea why anyone would want to drive a U.S. engine on a British route, but that doesn't keep me from wondering how to do so. Of course, the German units are electric and therefore not interchangeable with diesel stock -- right? Anyway, "how ya do dat?"
    As for changing the measurement units, ---- oh, never mind.

11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Daniel, I sympathize completely with your attempts to carry on a reasonable discussion with anyone on the TSW cheer-leading team. "One and done" is obviously their motto. I'm amazed you held Steve's attention for that many exchanges. In some cases, no one responds at all. They apparently believe that "customer relations" refers to our relatives.

• Like Like x 1