Route Previews As Pre-recorded Live Premieres

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TheShotte, Mar 20, 2021.

1. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

So I am absolutely tired with these route preview streams. People are trying to decide if the route is worth buying, and all they see is a lagging and unwatchable stream, worst even is the fact that a bunch of them think the route itself is lagging not the stream. I propose that DTG starts pre-recording their gameplay, then uploading the footage and setting the Preview as Premiere. This will eliminate poor network performance of streamer's PC and other factors which may have a negative effect on the end-users viewing experience while still giving us Live chat. Possibly, there could even be a few minutes of Live Q&A towards the end of the stream.
    DTG Natster make it happen.

• Like Like x 7
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I watched the broken Clinchfield preview stream and I guess the internet had other plans. Pre recording gameplay and doing a q&a at the end sounds like a good compromise

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I suggested doing this in the comments during the live stream.
    Yes, it takes away the chance to ask questions about the route, locos, timetables etc but at least it would stop all the when's this coming, when's that coming, I want this etc.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

It wasn't DTG's end that was laggy. Livestreams all over YouTube have had issues the last few days. But I agree, when the livestreams begin to buffer a lot, it is very off-putting.

5. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Twitch seemed under load as well last night - got chucked out of a few streams (including DTG) with various error messages so gave up and watched some Blu-ray's instead.

I do think DTG need to talk to Twitch about a partnership where they can stream across platforms and have the benefit of proper transcoding. While the terms officially say no - Sega and the UK Government have negotiated partnership and cross platform streaming. So I assume it's possible with negotiation for developers even if it isn't for us mere mortals.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer to have the live feedback from the community and questions being answered by people in the know so live would be the way for me - and preferably the host having actually read up on the route IRL, the route in game, cost, length etc which seems missing sometimes

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trainman525

Trainman525 Well-Known Member

Firstly, the Arosa live stream was done by a completely different PC system to Clinchfield and was laggy, so I doubt it was the streamer's PC that was at fault.

Secondly, I think one of the issues was streaming to 4 platforms due to the March Madness sale.

Thirdly, I prefer having the streams live so that people can ask questions as they crop up. Rather than asking questions and not getting a proper response as it would take too long to type.

8. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If you're looking to avoid technical hiccups a Premiere is NOT the answer, they have a few buffering issues to say the least. For example very recently Pokémon had this issue big time with their game announcements. Frankly if you want a live chat in any form there's always gonna be a decent chance for technical hiccups, that's just the nature of doing anything live, even something prerecorded like a premiere.

9. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

There will still be a live chat manned with DTG reps, which I think could be better, because said reps can focus on the chat solely instead of trying to play and keep up with chat, answering questions.

Sure, it's not a perfect solution, but does a perfect solution exist? When you Premier instead of Stream, the video file is on YT's servers already. In a streaming equation, you have this - Streamer's PC - Network - YouTube Servers. Through Premieres, you take out the first 2 variables. I think it's the best solution out of the bunch.

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

With two people on stream one can read, both can talk, it's hardly like Matt hasn't been streaming for several years (or Sam)

• Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Yep, means that lag won't affect it but they can Interact in chat at the same time