Route Proposal: Bnsf's Bakersfield Subdivision ( Bakersfield - Madera )

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, this proposal is stepping on Run8's toes a bit, but one route that would be plausible in Train Simulator would be BNSF's Bakersfield subdivision, running from BNSF's Bakersfield Yard to Calwa Yard in Fresno, with the route partially extending north on the Stockton Subdivision to Kismet Siding, north of Madera. This route would also be a good candidate for a workshop route merge with Tehachapi Pass.
    aa.png

BNSF would be the primary freight operator on this line, while Amtrak California's San Joaquin Trains would also be included as commuter traffic for the line. The route itself is mostly flat and fast, with Amtrak San Joaquin trains allowed a max speed of 79mph on the route. The route's proposed length would be about 137 miles.
    24775412110_b17b76f586_b.jpg

Amtrak California
    The San Joaquin train that is operated on this line has a total of 7 round trip trains that operate on this line, trains 711, 701, 713, 715, 717, 719 and 703 operate northbound from Bakersfield, while trains 702, 710, 712, 714, 716, 704, and 718 operate southbound.

A total of 6 station stops and 1 flag stop would be included in the proposed line.

-Bakersfield (Southern Terminus)
    -Wasco
    -Allensworth (Flagstop)
    -Corcoran
    -Hanford
    -Fresno
    -Madera

(A northbound San Joaquin departs Madera)
    [​IMG]

Allensworth is only a stop if a group of 20 or more book reservations in advance, or for special occasion (On Feb 12th 2022, San Joaquins ran 5 trains to the State Park as part of Black History Month)

The Primary Equipment that Amtrak Uses for the San Joaquins are EMD F59PHI's with California Bi-Level Cars.

The railroad also runs newer Siemens Charger's, and have a roster of a few Horizons, 2 sets of rebuilt Comet IB's, 2 Dash 8's (Though they rarely see mainline use anymore) and some F40PH Cabbages.

BNSF
    BNSF has a total of 2 major yards on the proposed line, the large Bakersfield yard (As seen in Tehachapi Pass). And Calwa Yard, in Fresno. BNSF also maintains a smaller yard just south of Handford, as well as a good chunk of local industries along the line. One interesting thing to note about the mainline is that a total of 3 diamonds exist on the route. The 1st is in Hanford, just south of the station, crossing over SJVR's branchline that heads west. The 2nd is Calwa Crossing, just south of BNSF's yard. BNSF crosses over Union Pacific's Fresno Subdivision here. The 3rd is Sunmaid crossing, just north of Calwa Yard, this is another crossing with the SJVR.

(Older photo from Hanford, showing an SJVR train waiting for a Santa Fe train to clear)
    [​IMG]

(A northbound Amtrak San Joaquin train passing thru Sunmaid Crossing)
    [​IMG]

BNSF also serves an Ethanol plant between Fresno and Madera.
    [​IMG]

Locomotives
    With DTG's recent track record of not making much outside of Reppo contracted equipment, at most I expect 1 new loco with the route, with the rest being edited from existing models.

BNSF

ET44C4
    [​IMG]
    For a new locomotive, I believe BNSF's fleet of ET44C4's should be added. They are one of BNSF's newer
    locomotives and are seen across their system. Their main use would be for mainline freight, though a few are used in both Fresno and Hanford as heavy yard switchers.

ES44DC
    Nothing new here, should be included for variety from the ET44.

B40-8W
    [​IMG]
    What used to be used on Santa Fe's hot intermodals in the 90's, have since been rebuilt for yard work.

GP60
    [​IMG]
    An alternative for the Dash-8, a handful of GP60's still exist on BNSF roster, with a few still rocking Santa Fe paint. I believe a few still work in Bakersfield.

Union Pacific

Any Mainline loco
    These will only be used for AI at Calwa Crossing, nothing else....

Amtrak California

F59PHI
    [​IMG]

Despite both the Cascades and Surfliner replacing their F59PHI fleets, these are still a very common sight on San Joaquin Trains. Caltrans has a total of 15 on their roster, 2001-2015, pre 2021. They would be paired with the Bi-Level California Cars and Cab Cars, as these are the most common equipment on the trains.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer the Siemens Charger over the F59PHIs. The ET44C4, B40-8W, and GP60 are great freight loco ideas for this route. Possible DLCs include an SD40-2, GP50, AC44C4M or C44-9W, and SD70ACe/SD70ACeP4.

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I recently added this to my Run 8 collection and, frankly, it's an utterly boring stretch of railway. I know Run 8 scenery can be a bit spartan but as a route it is largely straight, few gradients and the only thing which makes it remotely interesting in Run 8 (serving industries) is not really supported in TS.

4. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

For sure it would be nice and interesting have this route and the new GE ET44C4.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022