Route Proposal: Carrizo Gorge ( Campo - El Centro )

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So one oddball of a line that could be an interesting route to come to TS2021 would be the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railways line thru the Carrizo Gorge between Campo and El Centro California, for a route that spans about 80-90 miles.
    aaaa.png
    [​IMG]

Once considered the Impossible Railroad, this line connected San Diego to the east with Southern Pacific's line in El Centro, with partial runs into Mexico as well. The Southern Pacific owned the line from 1933 till 1975, until they sold it (Except from Plaster City to El Centro) to MTDB, who then had Kyle Railways run the line, which lasted until 1983.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the most impressive structures on the line is the Goat Canyon Trestle, located in the heart of the gorge. It was built after the original line and tunnel was destroyed in a landslide. Some good shots of the abandoned tunnel portal can be seen here: http://www.largescalecentral.com/fo...iego-amp-arizona-rr-carrizo-gorge/view/page/2
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Unfortunately, today the line hasn't seen much action, with vandalism and repair work among other things holding the line down in modern times. I believe the last train to run thru the Gorge was in 2008, the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum does run on part of the line, near their location in Campo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as equipment goes, a majority of SD&AE's locos were from the Southern Pacific, so SP power can be used to get around the licensing for the SD&AE power. It also wasn't uncommon to see SP's power on the line pre 1975.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Really interesting little line, although it's unlikely that they would represent the entire route. (80-90 is a lot).

3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Now THIS is definitely a route I can get behind! I've been to the PSRM a number of times over the years. It's a really nice museum, and a very scenic route. I'd absolutely love to see this route come to TS in some capacity!

Here's a video I made on the museum from January, 2019:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Oh, hmm. I still want to see a revamped Cajon Pass connected to San Diego or Los Angeles, but this is also a good idea. I could get behind this idea. After all, if the same origin points are used, you can go from Los Angeles to El Centro on a merged map. Same idea behind my request for a Cajon revamp, except that drive would be San Diego to Barstow.

I like.