Route Proposal: Settle And Carlisle Remastered And Extended

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Bradders, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Bradders

Bradders New Member

Following the success of the Portsmouth Direct Line: London Waterloo - Portsmouth, another route I believe that will benefit is the Settle and Carlisle, but extend to both Leeds and Crewe. Via Long Preston, Hellifield, Skipton, Keighley, Shipley, Armley Jn, Whitehall Jn and Leeds West Jn for Leeds. And via Hellifield, Clitheroe, Langho, Daisyfield Jn, Blackburn, Cherry Tree, Lostock Hall Jn, Farington Curve Jn, Wigan NW, Warrington BQ and Winsford for Crewe.

Why: Because the Settle and Carlisle could do with a upgrade because it's seen better days and it's only between Settle and Carlisle. If it was extended to both places mention above, it would not only give longer routes, but also give plenty of opportunity for things like diverts and railtours, seeing that none stop at Settle which is the beginning of the climb and you need to be at top speed for the climb.

• Like Like x 4
  2. treid09

treid09 Guest

Sounds like a great idea!

• Like Like x 1
  3. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

The great eastern mainline also needs upgrading

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I'd rather see two separate routes that can be merged, say Carlisle to Skipton then Skipton to Leeds. Skipton being the driver changeover stop for Leeds to Carlisle services and where the electric services terminate from Leeds and Bradford, providing a sensible halfway point. As for Crewe that's probably too far, and as far as I'm aware only used by freight so would limit scenario potential.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

An extension and an upgrade is currently in progress, it will also be extended to Lancaster/Morecambe along the Bentham line.

7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

By whom please. :))

8. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

It is being done by myself, currently the track is laid between Gargrave and Bentham along with the S&C track already laid

• Like Like x 4
  9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Is a page up for it currently, or are you waiting until it's completely done to release it?

10. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

No page for it at the moment, I likely wait until its completely done