Route Proposal: Stockton/ Fresno Subdivision ( Atsf & Sp/ Bnsf & Up)

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, requesting this mainly cause it would be the closest route to my hometown, but I think the Former ATSF, now BNSF southern Stockton Subdivison and former SP, now UP's Fresno Subdivision could be a good route for Train Simulator, as due to the closeness of the 2 lines, crossing over twice in Stockton and Fresno (At most, the lines are about 8 miles apart), it could give an opportunity to have 2 different Class 1 railroads mainlines on one map.

The route itself could start in Stockton, which is home to yards for the ATSF/BNSF, SP (Closed in 1999 after the merger), and WP/UP.

This led to the need of the Stockton tower, which controlled the crossing of trains of the Santa Fe, SP and WP trains, unfortunately, the tower no longer exists.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently Stockton has 2 stations still in service, the San Joaquin Street Station (Former ATSF), which is the main Amtrak California station, and the Robert J. Cabral Station (Former SP), which is the eastern terminus for ACE trains, and a Amtrak California Stop for Sacramento bound San Joaquin's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stockton could also feature the Central California Traction Company tracks (Which has streetrunning in Stockton) as well as the Port of Stockton (Served by the Stockton Terminal & Eastern)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Union Pacific Mainline
    - Going south from Stockton, the UP has 2 mainlines out town on the former SP and WP lines. The SP line runs south to Lathrop and thru the Lathrop Wye, where the Fresno line branches off to the east to continue south, the Southern line goes to Tracy, which used to be used by SP's San Joaquin Daylight, Sacramento Daylight, & Owl. The WP line runs south, where the UP has since built a large intermodal facility, the line then crosses over the former SP line just east of the Wye, this line continues down towards Altamont Pass and the Bay Area.
    [​IMG]

The line then travels south, passing thru the following cities
    Manteca,Ripon,Salida,Modesto,Ceres,Keyes,Turlock,Delhi,Livingston,Atwater,Merced,Chowchilla &Madera before finally crossing the San Joaquin River and the former SP yard located in North Fresno.

Local freight can still be found along this line, but one of the most interesting one would be the former 9th Street line, which the SP and later UP exchanged cars with the Modesto & Empire Traction company, This line was unfortunately closed in 2000.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The line continues south thru downtown, two former branch lines (now SJVR) connect here, Past downtown in southern Fresno, the line crosses back over the BNSF mainline at Calwa Crossing, just south of BNSF's yard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UP also serves a handful of customers just past the crossing. Amtrak's Coast Starlight will also detour down this route if the Coast Line is unavailable due to maintenance.

BNSF Mainline
    -The BNSF mainline goes east out of Stockton, before heading South past BNSF's Stockton Intermodal facility. The line then runs south to Fresno passing by the following towns, Escalon, Riverbank (Where the current Sierra Norther connects as stated in the Sierra Railroad thread), Empire, Hughson, Denair, Atwater, Merced, then heads east towards Planada, then back south to Madera, before heading back to Fresno.

This route is also used by Amtrak, now Amtrak California's "San Joaquin" train, and has station stops in the following citys
    -Stockton
    -Riverbank (Closed 1999)
    -Modesto (Home for former ATSF 4-8-4 #2921)
    -Denair-Turlock
    -Merced
    -Madera (Replaced Storey)
    -Storey (Closed 2010)
    Before stopping at the former Santa Fe Station in Downtown Fresno (Though the actual depot wasn't used after Amtrak took over until 2005)
    [​IMG]

The BNSF line then continues south of downtown, crossing over SJVR tracks at Sunmaid crossing, before heading to its Fresno yard. This yard also used to be home to an intermodal facility, but was closed in 2014. At the end of the yard, the BNSF line crosses back over Calwa crossing before heading South to Hanford. BNSF also serves their own customers near the yard too.

Alternately both lines could also be extended a little further south. The UP line could extend as far as Goshen junction, which would add a few more local industries (as well as my hometown) to the route extending the route from about 126 miles to 158 miles, while the BNSF line could extend to Hanford, adding an Amtrak stop, and extending the mainline from about 126 miles to 155 miles.

As with my Watsonville Junction suggestion, this route could also be set back to the transition era as well, and put Southern Pacific's San Joaquin Daylight, Owl, and Santa Fe's Golden Gate, Valley Flyer, and the San Francisco Chief onto the route. As well as including Steam locomotives from ATSF's & SP's roster

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Blacknred81

Rolling Stock
    The rolling stock can vary depending on what era the route gets set in

Santa Fe

CF7
    GP35/GP40
    SD40-2/SD45-2
    C44-9W/C40-8W/B40-8W
    GP60/GP60M/B
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Southern Pacific/Cotton Belt

-C44-9W/AC4400/SD70M
    -SD40/SD45/SDP45/SD40M-2's
    -SD40T-2/SD45T-2
    -GP20/GP30/GP40-2/GP60
    -GP9/SD9's
    -SW1200/SW1500
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BNSF

-GE Evo Series (ES44/ET44)
    -EMD SD70ACe/ACE T-4
    -GE C44-9W
    -GE B40-8W
    -GP60M/GP60
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Union Pacific
    -Evo Series (ES44/ET44)
    -SD70ACe/AH/ACE T-4
    -SD70M
    -SD59MX
    -GP15/GP38-2/GP40-2/GP60
    [​IMG]

Amtrak
    -F40
    -Amfleets/Horizon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amtrak California
    -F59PHI
    -Siemens Charger
    -F40 Cabbage
    -California Car
    -Comet/Horizon cars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  3. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

The introduction of the rest of Amtrak California equipment to the game would be a welcome one!

• Like Like x 1
  4. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

This would be a great pair with my route suggestion of the Capitol Corridor. You could also have BNSF trackage from Stockton (San Joaquin Street Station) west to Antioch and Martinez, and then Stockton (Robert J. Cabral Station) north to Sacramento through Lodi.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I definitely want the BNSF engines. I'd also like to suggest a Genset Switcher in both BNSF and UP liveries. The ATSF and SP Steam would be great, too. Could we finally get ATSF 4-8-4s (especially #3751)?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. treid09

treid09 Guest

Nice proposal. What's up with that CF7 by the way? I've only seen two types of them, but never with a cab flush with the long hood. Would love to see this route and equipment.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

This route would make an amazing addition to TS20!

• Like Like x 1
  8. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

If Milepost Simulations could do this route, They Can.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blacknred81

Since I'm getting sent up north for the week for work, decided to get a few pics of the line.

1st here is from the UP line, With UP 5252 rolling south, with the snow capped Sierra Nevada Mountains in the background.[​IMG]

Now on the BNSF line, in Atwater is the Castle Air Museum, and would make a unique scenery in game as the BNSF line runs just across the street from the outdoor aircraft displays. I was able to get a few shots of 2 Amtrak San Joaquin trains, from the museum, running by, a BNSF train also stopped at the siding too, but I didn't get a good shot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last is ATSF 2921, which is currently at the Modesto Amtrak station, painted black, but missing ATSF markings and the loco number.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. ATSF 801

ATSF 801 New Member

this is needed for sure!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I totally agree- I would *love* to see a Stockton route added to TSW 2020 (incl the PS4). I used to spend a fair amount of time in that area back in the late ‘90s (railfanning and filming), when the tower was still there and after it was torn down. Would love to see some representative rail traffic in the route of course- including intermodal, mixed freights and Amtraks passing through, etc. If this becomes available at *any* point, I’m definitely buying it!

Thanks to the original poster for putting everything together and starting this thread... awesome idea.

• Like Like x 2