Route Proposal: The Auto Train

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, one of the more unique passenger trains on the east coast is the Auto Train, running from Lorton, Virginia to Sanford, Florida, with a short lived service between Louisville Kentucky and Sanford. However the Auto-Train Corporation went bankrupt and the service was cut in April 1981.

[​IMG]

However, Amtrak has since restored the service in October 1983, and is still in service to this day.
    [​IMG]

The route for this unique train could be situated around either station, and could involved scenarios arriving/departing either station, as well as assembling the train for departure. The Sanford Station would be a little different than the Lorton Station, as its platforms are too short to fit the full Amtrak consist, and the passenger cars are split to 2 platforms. A railroad crossing also complicates Sanford's operations.

Google Satellite image of Lorton Station
    [​IMG]

Sanford Station
    [​IMG]

Rolling Stock

Auto Train rolling stock
    GE U36B
    [​IMG]
    Baldwin's S-12, VO-1000 or ALCO's S-2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Autorack
    [​IMG]
    Steam Generator cars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Various Passenger Equipment (Baggage,Food Service,Sleeper,Dome)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amtrak Rolling Stock
    GE P40s or P42s & Superliner's
    [​IMG]
    Auto rack
    [​IMG]
    GE B32-8WH, or SW1000R
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

This would be a nice addition to Train Sim! Would give us a route to run the various Northeast Regionals that run in Virginia if the route were to be set around Lorton.

• Like Like x 4
  3. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

Yeah. After Watching Coasterfan2105's Video of The Auto Train, This will be prefect addon for Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

This would be excellent to see. I'd much rather have the route based out of Lorton instead of Sanford since Florida is very flat and boring, and I wouldn't want this to be boring like Miami-WPB.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I think that there was a repaint of Amtrak Autoracks at Facebook but now can't find and am sure there was one there before. Found one at Railworks America to download. I do have mine through RWA.

John

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd definitely like either the original Auto Train or the Amtrak version.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

I would love this, Amtrak or original AutoTrain Corp. I think AutoTrain Corp would be cooler though, as we would get a use out of the SCL U36B in the game, as ATC owned some (as you stated). Also a new Florida or Virginia route would be nice.

8. TommyPicklesfan1992

TommyPicklesfan1992 Member

Why Not Both?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blacknred81

I say both could work if one was included in the route, and the other was added as a loco pack, or make 2 routes around each station with one dedicated to the Auto Train and one to Amtrak.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blacknred81

So did a little more research and figured out potential extensions for the route.

The Lorton Part of the route could extend north to Washington DC, and include the southern end of the NEC. South of Lorton, the route could run at least as far as Richmond, Va, which is just under 100 miles. And would include the city of Ashland, where the mainline runs right down the middle of town splitting Center Street, and the CSX yards of Richmond.
    cq5dam.web.900.600.jpeg

Sanford Station on the southern end of the route would most likely be the southern end of the route, with the northern part of the route extending to at least Jacksonville, FL. Which is Appx 125 track miles. And can include the CSX yards located there as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blacknred81

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  12. Therchias

Therchias New Member

I say do the whole entire thing. I know it would be a huge undertaking, probably impossible for the whole 18 hour trek. But I would pay over a 100 for that kinda ultimate route for TSW.