[route Request]: Mbta Green Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lobstah_roll, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. lobstah_roll

lobstah_roll New Member

Hi everyone!

I figured with the introduction of the Bakerloo line and the ability for Train Sim World 2 to support subway style systems, that would open the door to a lot of unique lines that would present some interesting technical challenges.
    [​IMG]
    The Route:

The MBTA Green Line is a light rail line featuring overhead electrification and is the oldest subway line in North America. Opening in 1897 as the Tremont Street Subway, the Green Line has been a critical part of the transit-scape of Boston, MA. The four active branches (B, C, D, and E) represent approximately 23 miles of track, and travel past many of Boston's most recognizable landmarks. The Green line also helped build some of the earliest streetcar suburbs in the United States.
    [​IMG]
    The B, C, and most of the E branches run at street level in the middle of boulevard style avenues. When the B branch departs outbound from Kenmore, it passes Boston University, Packards Corner, along Commonwealth Avenue, past Chestnut Hill Resevoir and terminates at Boston College. The C branch passes through Brookline along Beacon Street (well known for the Boston Marathon), through Coolidge Corner, and terminates in Cleveland Circle at Chestnut Hill Resevoir. These three lines, while passing many scenic landmarks, have to pay close attention to the light cycles as they pass through major intersections at grade along their routes.
    [​IMG]
    Green line train headed outbound through Coolidge Corner.

The D branch is unique because it travels the furthest of the Green line branchs, and does not travel along a boulevard. It has it's own right of way which passes the Riverway just outside of Fenway, Brookline Village, Chestnut Hill reservoir, through the Webster Conservation Area, and terminates at Riverside. In the fall the D line provides wonderful views of the foliage as the leaves change.

When traveling inbound on the B and C branches, the operator is treated to a lovely view of the Boston skyline and the lit up Citgo sign before traveling underground.
    [​IMG]
    A B line train headed inbound towards Kenmore, the Citgo sign and Back Bay visible in the background.
    When underground, the B, C, and D lines merge at Kenmore, and travel along one of the oldest subway tunnel in the United States. Stations of note include Kenmore (famous for Fenway Park), Boylston (which displays two MBTA PCC cars and features the Boylston Curve), and Park Street (the oldest and busiest station on the MBTA system, with a Green Line train departing two minutes).
    [​IMG]
    Inbound side of Park Street.

Rolling Stock
    The Green Line (along with the rest of the T) is undergoing significant renovations, which includes the purchase of 24 new Type 9 LRVs, built by CAF USA.
    [​IMG]

More commonly seen on the route though, are the Type 7 and Type 8 LRVs.
    [​IMG]
    Type 7 LRV, manufactured by Kinki Sharyo
    [​IMG]
    Type 8 LRV, manufactured by AnsaldoBreda

I think that in addition to the rest of the MBTA system, the Green Line would present a unique playstyle opportunity that is not currently available in the Train Sim library. It would also present complex technical challenges for regular interactions with other traffic, but provides stunning backdrops of the City of Boston and holds the distinct honor of being the oldest running subway system in the United States.

I think it would also play in well with a Boston to Providence NEC route, but I'll save that for another day ;)

• Like Like x 3
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Isn't this more of a glorified tram? at least it looks like it.

Sorry if I sound disrespectful

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

This would be a great route! I quite like the idea of a tram/metro route running on streets and then into tunnels, though I do wonder if those street running scenes could be done justice and whether the devs could handle the intermingling of pedstrian/road/tram traffic in an elegant way. Perhaps on Gen5 consoles and PC there would be a good way to resolve that.

• Like Like x 5
  4. pcj91

pcj91 New Member

Green line would be sweet! Would love to see some street running trains. I suggested the commuter lines myself but I honestly just wanna see the T in this game in any capacity lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I don't really like route's like this but Im sold I would really like something MBTA related in TSW2

• Like Like x 2
  6. lobstah_roll

lobstah_roll New Member

No offense taken! :) I think based on the pictures I shared, that could be a reasonable conclusion. While the B, C and E lines function like a tram on their surface level stops, once they transition underground at Kenmore they function more like a light rail/rapid transit. The D line also functions like a light rail/rapid transit for the full length of it's route. I also think the historic significance of the line and transitions set it apart from other North American light rail and tram services.

I agree, I'd imagine it would represent quite the technical challenge. If this or something like it gains traction, I'm excited to see how it plays out!

Yeah, I recognize it wouldn't quite be for everyone. I figured it might represent a unique opportunity that isn't captured elsewhere in Train Sim. If I could have any other MBTA service, I think the CR service between Boston and Providence would be the best fit since it carries such a wide array of traffic.

Thanks for all your thoughtful comments!

• Like Like x 1
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Right that makes sense, I hope they consider it sounds interesting

8. no123

no123 Member

I wish that A branch would exist. (I know, it existed but still)

9. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I highly doubt they’d make a light rail route. I think the Blue and Orange lines would be nice to see in the game though.

10. mbtafan24

mbtafan24 New Member

Well I suppose it's possible considering the arosa line is kinda like light rail.

11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

An excellent suggestion for a playable tramway in game. The Type 8s made by AnsaldoBreda no called Hitachi rail taly have the same propulsion as MTA state of New York R143 R142A & R188 family trains 7211-7936.