Route Suggestion: Birmingham New Street To Shrewsbury

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by yagna2308, May 17, 2022.

1. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

Connecting the WCML South DLC from Birmingham New Street to Welsh Marches DLC at Shrewsbury with a distance of around 40 miles.
    upload_2022-5-17_10-38-9.png

Rolling stock (all copy over from existing DLCs):
    Transport for Wales BR Class 158 “Sprinter” (from North Wales Coast Line DLC)
    Transport for Wales BR Class 175 “Coradia” (from North Wales Coast Line DLC)
    Avanti West Coast Class 221 “Super Voyager" (from North Wales Coast Line or WCML South DLC)
    Avanti West Coast Class 390 “Pendolino" (from WCML South DLC)
    BR Class 350 Desiro EMU (from WCML South DLC)
    BR Class 170 ‘Turbostar’ DMU (already existing as a separate DLC)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Cracking suggestion.
    Would love to see that route as an addition, although being born & bred in Wolverhampton I admit I am a tad biased.
    I have invested in the ATS missing link route which covers the B'ham to Wolverhampton stretch but then diverts off to stafford & crewe.
    To have the extension to Shrewsbury would be great, just thinking about how you could model the Cosford Air Museum / RAF base etc.
    To then have the possible option of a merge with the Welsh Marches is just mouth wateringly gorgeous.............
    ............. Sorry is my West Midlands bias rearing it's ugly head again?
    If so then tough, WM born & bred and proud of it. LOL
    Not sure whether ATS have any plans to expand their WCML version in this direction in the future.
    The fact they already have the B'ham - Wolverhampton bit covered may afford them the option to add the extra 20 mile or so addition if they wish.
    Who knows they may be already considering this extension but have not divulged to the wider audience.
    To whoever decides to accept this challenge, my wallet is open. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I too would love to see an extention of the WCML to Shrewsbury.

Shrewsbury is an interesting rail centre in itself and a route with it at the heart would be very welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

It would make business sense for DTG to make it as an extension to WCML South so that the rolling stock from WCML South DLC can be used like they did for Bahnstrecke Leipzig - Riesa Route Extension. They can call it Train Simulator: Birmingham New Street - Shrewsbury Route Extension Add-On. A full run of the 06:39 Avanti West Coast service from Shrewsbury to London Euston on a Class 221 will be possible. Just a scenario suggestion in case DTG decide to go ahead with it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. theorganist

It would make an interesting journey, from the modernity of the WCML to the traditional railway infrastructure around Shrewsbury.

Personally I would use it to turn the clock back and take a class 117 on a Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury local and go to the days when class 47's would take over from an electric to take the train on the final leg to Shrewsbury.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

True, to see the change in railway infrastructure as we drive through would be interesting.
    To see how it looks like, I've created a steam workshop scenario at Shrewsbury.

Steam Workshop::Preparing the Avanti Class 221 Super Voyager for a run to London (steamcommunity.com)

• Like Like x 1
  7. middleslack

middleslack New Member

Hi Pleased I'm not the only from Wolverhampton my garden backs on the Wolverhampton / Shrewsbury line.
    It's a great idea connecting Shrewsbury to B-Ham it opens up a wide range of connections. I wonder if Dovetail will take it up I would like to see how they handle Cosford Museum.

8. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

This Londoner would love a connection from WCML to Welsh Marches though I think an extension to Chester or Crewe is more likely from the good people at Bossman, if they're doing any more with the route, that is.

9. theorganist

I wonder what has happened to the Bossman games Cotswold Line which was in development?

10. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

upload_2022-6-7_7-29-2.png
    Just like how Birmingham New Street was the interchange station for the Birmingham Cross City Line, Shrewsbury can act as the interchange station for Birmingham to either Chester or Crewe with a journey distance of around 80 miles. The class 150/2 or 153 in TfW livery could also be considered if possible as an addition for the line.

11. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

Could not find any information on their website regarding the progress on this route though.

12. theorganist

No it disappeared some time ago. I presume development on it has stopped or it is on hold indefinately.

13. theorganist

It would be excellent if a super route could be made, WCMLS, a link to Shrewsbury built with the lines to Crewe and Chester and then the North Wales Coast added. It would give a lot of scenario potential.

14. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

Even if we include the three parts i.e., Shrewsbury - B'ham New Street, Shrewsbury - Chester and Shrewsbury - Crewe the journey distance would be around 40 miles each, totaling to 120 Miles, which is still less than ECML North or south western expressways reading which is 225 miles.

For scenario opportunity, that will definitely be a plenty with freight, stopping and express services from WCML, North Wales and Heart of Wales.

Question is, would Bossman games or DTG take it up as they already have the rolling stock and the starting and ending stations. It would be a profitable DLC for the developers / publishers too. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Would also love to see this as im local to the area