Route Suggestion- Coast Daylight

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by icrr#3721, May 31, 2022.

1. icrr#3721

icrr#3721 New Member

Now that we have reason to select routes from the past, I think a great line to have would be the Southern Pacific Coast Daylight route. A scenic Ocean view, plenty of stops, and not to mention, the trains. Both steam locomotives I list would also have multiple ways for the creators club to shine. This would be the perfect route to implement what has been voted the most beautiful train in the world, the Southern Pacific GS-4/GS-5s. Quite unique with their signature headlights and Mars light built into their smoke box, and also their colorful streamlined skirting, they would surely be a welcome edition to teach and show American railroading from the ‘50s. For reference, Southern Pacific 4449. For freight operations, I think a valid candidate would be the SP P-8 pacifics, example: SP 2472. And maybe also implementing the CRR F7s, as they would fit into the timeline as well, but the steam engines are the main focus. It would be really fun to compare how American steam locomotives are different English steam locomotives in terms of being the engineer, as well as the experience of firing oil burning locomotives. Thank you for reading my suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
  2. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

I see SP 4449 often at Portland's rail museum - it is a true work of art and the route itself would be an awesome addition to the sim.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think you need to post a little more about the route itself. I’m assuming Los Angeles up towards Seattle but you’re going to have to nominate a 50 or 60 mile stretch of that which tends to be the upper limit for TSW routes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Southern Pacific's Coast Daylight ran from San Francisco to Los Angeles till 1971 (When Amtrak took over and eventually rebranded it to the modern day Coast Starlight to Seattle)

The problem with Coast Daylight however, is picking a part of the route that would be most applicable for TSW2.

The entire route is about 470miles with only 9 station stops. And the problem with that is if you set it next to either endpoint, you wont get the scenic views the route is known for....

The entire route and mileage looks like this....

0mi San Francisco
    30mi Palo Alto
    47mi San Jose
    114mi Salinas
    248mi San Luis Obispo
    367mi Santa Barbara
    404mi Oxnard
    464mi Glendale
    470mi Los Angeles

So you either end up with either a backdated Peninsula Corridor, Oxnard to LA (Which doesn't offer much ocean views, or Oxnard to Santa Barbara (Which isn't much of a route outside of A-B runs)

• Like Like x 1
  5. icrr#3721

icrr#3721 New Member

Thank you guys for your input. Apparently I need to learn more about the line myself. I live on the other side of the county, so I was only going on what I’d heard about it on social media and in videos. I thought the stations were closer together. The long distance between yards and stations is also the reason I didn’t suggest my favorite line, the City of New Orleans line, or CN and Amtrak. (Not to mention the Fulton Amtrak Station is literally just a trailer.) But if I do suggest something again in the future, I’ll make sure to have actually visited it so that I will know more about the line.