Route Suggestion: Ft. Hood Military Base

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Daniel Gibbs, Sep 23, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

Located in Ft. Hood, Texas, the Ft. Hood Military Base is the largest and busiest military base in the United States. It has served the U.S. Army since 1942. Every week, it sees military trains going to and from the base. They carry anything from bomb containers to Humvees to the big and intimidating M1 Abrams tanks! Many of the military trains, which are hauled by BNSF, go to Temple, Texas, and continue towards Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and many other places. Some may even go to New Orleans, LA into the Southeast. Additionally, one of the lines through Temple sees Amtrak's Texas Eagle, which runs daily from Chicago to San Antonio, but tri-weekly from Chicago to Los Angeles.

Here is some history of the Ft. Hood Military Base:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Hood

The military base has four locomotives for switching operations: EMD GP40's USAX #4652 & #4655, EMD GP9 USAX #1400, and EMD GP10 USAX #4614.

If any devs such as DTG, G-Trax, Milepost Simulations, or any other devs are interested, I think the route could continue from the military base as far as Ft. Worth or Dallas. Because this is a BNSF route, the BNSF logos would have to be excluded for non-US customers because of licensing issues. Besides the USAX locos, I think it should include any kind of big power that BNSF uses, such as a Dash 9, a GEVO, or any SD70 Variant. The route shall include a variety of appropriate freight equipment, including the DODX flatcars: A 68' 6-axle flatcar to carry the M1 Abrams tanks and M88A2 Hercules Recovery Vehicles, a 60' flatcar to carry the M2 Bradley tanks, and 89' flatcars to carry a variety of other military vehicles!

Feel free to cast your vote!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This would be awesome. I have the military flat cars with the Sherman Hill route. I would like this. Plus it's BNSF! The GEVO ES44AC, ES44DC, ES44C4, or ET44C4 would be great, plus the switchers. Maybe we could get an SD70ACe (P4-T4), SD70MAC, SD60MAC, SD75M/I, or C44-9W as well.

3. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I would really love to see some more accurate looking flat cars. The ones from TS Rewards don't look too accurate.