Route: The " Eifelstrecke " Trier - Gerolstein

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Spygot, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Spygot

Spygot Member

Route Suggestion: The Eifelstrecke:
    The german Route "Eifelstrecke" is a 160km long regional Railroad in southern germany that connect Cologne with Trier. The part I would like to suggest is the section between Trier and Gerolstein. The part has a length of around 65km long (Gerolstein to Trier HBF).

The Route:
    The Route follows the river Kyll with the help of many tunnels and bridges. Almost every part of the route is only equipped with one rail. Almost every station the train stopps at has a second rail to allow trains to meet. That would make it the first one-rail route in TSW. The overall speed on the Eifelstrecke is very slow because the route has many curves and restricted structures (tunnels and bridges). The stations still look like a local railroad in the 1970s where you have to cross the track and the buildings are beautiful. Plus, the route has the possibility to run tilting trains, although the german railroad stopped them in 2011. Here are some impressions of the stations of Phillipsheim and Gerolstein:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (These are my own pictures published on the site bilder.m3rk.eu)
    The Station of Phillipsheim is a really good example of a typical station on the Eifelstrecke.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (The are again my own pictures)
    This is the station of Gerolstein, my suggested end of the route. It has 5 platforms and some more tracks where other trains could wait for service.

Trains:

The Trains you could use on the Eifelstrecke really depend on the year you want to picture. For the modern time, the DB Class 644 (Talent 1) and 648 (LiNT) run the local services here. The depot in Gerolstein (next Picture) often contains some of them.
    [​IMG]
    These are the 644s waiting for service in Gerolstein.
    You could also decide to picture and older state of the railway. That would give you the possibility to introduce tilting trains (DB Class 611) to TSW. These have run express services from Saarbruecken to Cologne from 1997 to 2000. In that same time, the iconic german Class 218 has run many passenger services with some n-wagen (Silberlinge). The very popular german Class 628 was also used.

Important Points on the Eifelstrecke:
    Gerolstein Station: Gerolstein is only one of two stations on the route that could be considered big. The original building is still there and next to the station is the depot. The station is currently getting retrofitted, with the platforms beeing elevated and a new passenger bridge beeing build.

Trier Central Station: Trier markes the end of all services running on the Eifelstrecke. The station has 5 platforms and allows the passengers to change to services to Saarbrücken or Luxemburg.

Trier-Pfalzel Railway Bridge: The Bridge across the river Mosel in Trier is right after the station of Trier-Pfalzel. You can see many parts of Trier from it.

Kyllburg station and it's tunnel: After departing from the station of Kylburg, the train goes through a 218m long tunnel under the city of Kyllburg. The tunnel portal give a really unique look to the station.

The Wilsecker Tunnel: A over 1km long tunnel between Bitburg-Erdorf and Kyllburg.

The Inside of many Tunnels: The local gouvernment of Rheinland-Pfalz decided to run a bicycle path next to the railway. Because of that, some of the tunnels are wider that normally and contain the bicycle path seperated with a wodden wall. These tunnels are always lighted.

Security Systems:
    The Eifelstrecke is equipped with PZB 90 for all trains. ETCS is not installed. For tilting trains, the route also uses GNT, so that the tilting trains can go faster that the PZB would allow them.

I think that this route has a lot to offer for TSW Fans with it's beautiful landscape, many bridges across the river Kyll, many tunnels, the possibility of adding tilting trains to TSW and the track layout, which would be the first one-rail route in TSW. This is my first route suggestion, so if you have any ideas or suggestions, leave a reply.
    Greetings,
    Spygot

• Like Like x 30
  2. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

And all I can think about now is mineral water...
    (Context)

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and if you owne this one you should be able to bring in 644 & 648 DMUs to the other German routes like Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden Ruhr Sieg Nord Ruhr Sieg Osten SKA & HRR.

4. Spygot

Spygot Member

Jo_Kim That would actually fit very good because the company is right next to the station. You can see tons of water bottles which are stored outside from the train.

driverwoods#1787
    I also think that they would make a nice addition to the other german routes as they operate on almost any railway line without catenary.

5. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion, but I would like to have the section Köln-Gerolstein, I don't know if both parts would be a problem to combine wile creating it

6. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

The BR648 is the wrong train the right ones are BR620 and BR622

• Like Like x 1
  7. kjeld.dejager

kjeld.dejager Active Member

like the idea maybe a ICE TD (605) could drive there too. or not?

8. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

No it cant. It is not realistic

• Like Like x 1
  9. drnicktgm#1259

If it could manage the 30% than it could perfectly run on it

• Like Like x 1
  10. drnicktgm#1259

It has never been tested out

• Like Like x 1
  11. eggbird#1326

eggbird#1326 New Member

Eifelstrecke der Bahn in diesem Jahr wohl nicht mehr befahrbar ( Foto: Beim Hochwasser in Kordel ) .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. eggbird#1326

eggbird#1326 New Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. drnicktgm#1259

Hope this is the upcoming route in TSW 2

• Like Like x 1
  14. cadeshr6s