Routes Which Include Leeds, Wakefield, Doncaster, York Etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick Y, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Are there any routes available for TS (3rd party) that include that part of the ECML as well as other routes such as the Calder Valley line, Northern Transpennine etc?
    I really want lines that are close to me in Yorkshire but struggling to find any.

2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

There is the freeware Harrogate Loop on the On Track Simulation site, which is very good and being extended too, I think there might be a route on Alan Thomson's site too.

The Creative Rail York to Peterborough, available as a pre and post electrification version covers Doncaster to York, sadly it didn't include the line to Leeds. It is a nice route especially being a bespoke BR period route but it is a shame the opportunity wasn't taken to add some of the branches off the ECML, Cleethorpes, Hull, Leeds, Nottingham etc.

3. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Leeds Lines on ATS includes all four of stations you said.

As theorganist said there is Harrogate Loop which has Leeds-York. This is also being updated to include the direct line from Leeds to York instead of via Harrogate. It will also include the line to Milford Junction.

As far as I'm aware Calder Valley is not in progress.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would love to see Calder Valley with a BRCW class 110

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

And the list of requirements keeps growing for routes and most of them expensive payware stuff.
    I give up even trying to get my head around all this. My autistic brain is overloaded.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Which is why most people wait for a Sale before purchasing the expensive stuff - you just missed the March Madness Sale
    But there will be another sometime in the Summer
    Plus you can buy Steam Keys from various sellers like Gamersgate and CD Keys where you get a good discount
    Like this which gives you London to Peterborough https://www.cdkeys.com/train-simulator-2015-pc-cd-key

8. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Right, so I should be ok with DPS East Coast but I'll have to wait until there's a sale on to get Leeds lines and Harrogate Loop for the required DLC (South London, ECML Modern for Leeds Lines and WCML Trent Valley, Wherry Lines and Fort William to Mallaig for Harrogate Loop).

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can buy York to Peterborough Modern which does include Doncaster and York but does not need any other routes

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Hence why I said I was going to wait until there's a sale on as each of those routes is £25 and I don't have that kind of money to spend on routes right now.
    Idk where Ft William to Mallaig is available though as I can't seem to find any references for it or where to get it from.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

12. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Yes, that can be a confusing one in requirements if you don't know the areas covered. I at one point misread it as the Fort Kent to Eagle Lake and thought why would that be needed for a UK route? Then I looked again and it clicked. Though I have since bought the route, I still get confused periodically.

Harrogate Loop looks usable for me. I've seen it required for something at ATS. Trying to figure out if Northern Lines requires the full route to Holyhead of NWC, or just the first half of it which I have. I'm hopeful it's not for track, but scenery, and also that a version changing out the assets could come for the unlucky ones coming late.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

No... just the original route that came with TS2018. I don't have the Hollyhead extension and Northern Lines works here. Both V2 and Electric.

20210402203259_1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  14. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Just seen that Fuller Sims is doing a Sheffield - Cleethorpes line.
    That would be good as I travelled that line to Scunthorpe many times in the early - mid 2000s.
    I also saw somewhere (might be on ATS) that someone has done part of the NTP line between Manchester and Huddersfield.

15. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Doncaster Works is good if you like shunting.

16. Pookeyhead

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pookeyhead

There's a reason I hate typing on phones.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

One more quick question for you all.
    How do I install Harrogate Loop?

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Is there an installer with it? If not, you are likely provided with a Content folder. Just drag that Content folder into place in the Railworks directory (Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks). It will merge with the existing Content folder and add the contents of the folder to your directory. This means a new folder for a route inside of "Routes" and the scenarios to go with it.

If there is an Assets folder, drag that into place before dragging in the Content folder. It may include bundled assets the route requires.

21. Pookeyhead

Extract the downloaded zip file to somewhere convenient like your desktop.
    Open the folder it unpacks called Harrogate Loop V1.0
    Copy all three folders (Assets, Content, Manuals) to your Railworks folder.

That's it.

22. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I couldn't get Harrogate Loop to work. Kept getting error messages about not loading so I've removed it for now.

23. Pookeyhead

Clear the cache? Did you have TS running while you installed it? Clearing the cache usually resolves stuff like this. There's certainly nothing inherently wrong with the route, as I've been using it for ages with no problems here.

24. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

No, TS and steam were not running. I copied all files over so I'm guessing it's due to not having certain assets.
    I got Wakefield lines working (albeit in a crude fashion) but am waiting for a sale to get the rest of the required routes and assets.

25. Pookeyhead

Did you not check the requirements?

26. majorminor

majorminor Member

So if I wanted to regress the line to 1950s era, which assets could I do without? :)

27. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you mean the Doncaster - Leeds route then the OHLE for a start but Leeds is totally different to when it was in 1950s/1960s
    There were two main stations in Leeds
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_Central_railway_station

28. majorminor

majorminor Member

Yup, used to use Leeds Central on a regular basis, going to school. Thinking more about Wakefield. Is the current "new" station used, or the previous one? :)

29. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

It's the new station at Wakefield with the ugly car park next door from what I saw.

Yes, I did but must have missed something so I'll have to recheck.

30. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The current station is in the same place as the old one -

Why not just download the route and go exploring - the route is free so the station buildings will be included
    If you don't think you can backdate it then just bin the route.

31. majorminor

majorminor Member

No, it isn't. They built it NEXT to the old station, so it is slightly further down the line towards Leeds

Might just do that - as you say, probably the easiest way - should have done that before asking for advice. Silly me! :)

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No. They extended both platforms at the Leeds end and moved the Main Entrance further down platform 1 but the platforms are still in the same place as before - just a coach or two longer.

33. majorminor

majorminor Member

I'm not gonna argue with you my friend. I use the station on a regular basis. Yes, you can trek down to the old platform if you wish, but the station is now further down the line. The footbridge is around 500 yards from where it used to be....... From the outside, what used to be a simple turn off the main street is now a trawl through multiple sets of traffic lights to access the new station - but yes, Railtrack (or whoever happens to be responsible this week) will say, with a shrug, "we didn't move it!" Oh - and they moved the car park TWICE as far! :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  34. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I also use the station and went over that horrible new footbridge just before the last lockdown.
    Network Rail might have rebuilt the station buildings nearer to Leeds and the access roads and the car park but the Actual Station Platforms were just extended at the Leeds end. That Multi-storey Car Park has been there for some time - I took a picture from it in 2011
    IMG_5306.JPG
    NR just extended the platforms towards the signals in the picture but the track work has not changed and the London end of the platform is still in the same spot. NR had to do the extension because some Azumas are two 5 Car sets, 10 coaches and would not have fit on the platform

35. majorminor

majorminor Member

This is just inane.
    My original query was whether the STATION BUILDING asset in TS was the current one, or the old one - not the length of the friggin platforms.
    If you think the station asset is still in the same place - cool.
    Here's a link you will find interesting: www.theflatearthsociety.com

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I was just pointing out the Station Building might have been rebuilt further towards Leeds because that is where the New Footbridge is situated but the London ends of the Platforms are still in the same place - they are longer at the Leeds end to accommodate the 10 car Azumaz.

Not sure why you think a website selling the domain name of the Flat Earth Society would be of interest to anyone?

37. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it didn't come out as piccalilly...!!!