Safety Of Level Crossings Near Stations In Sehs In Real Life

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Djb1990, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

I understand how the level crossings at gillingham and rainham work and how the signals only clear when the barriers are down. I was just wondering how safe this set up is in real life (assuming this is how the crossings work in real life of course).

I don't claim to know much about level crossings, but as far as I know in my area (surrey), crossings near stations automatically go down as a train approaches, even if it is stopping at the station, in case the train overshoots. Barriers are down so no one gets run over...

So with the set up at rainham for example, what happens in real life if a train overshoots and SPADs? Not a huge problem at gillingham as the crossing is a fair distance from the station, but at rainham it's pretty close. If a train SPADs at speed (unlikely to happen I know, but bear with me), emergency brakes aren't going to stop the train before the crossing, and it will plough through anyone crossing the tracks. Seems kind of unsafe to me. Are there other safety systems at play to stop this from happening?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Same i observed at mot park, barriers were down a good 3 mins before train pulled in to platform, boarded then crossed level crossing, but it was an icy day

3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I believe those gates are controlled by a signaller, too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

Even when controlled by a signaller I'd have thought that they would bring the barriers down before the train arrives. Just seems really unsafe to me to have the barriers up with a train approaching, even if it is meant to stop