Salisbury To Westbury - Wiltshire

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by underwaterdick, Sep 8, 2021.

1. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

I propose the route from Salisbury to Westbury, with the branch to Exeter included to some extent.

This would be a great place to have lots of rolling stock variety in.

It could include the stone quarries near Westbury and Salisbury Train Care Depot.

The route also has scope to be set in the BR days, or in modern times.
    Due to how busy it is along the route, it would fit in well with Rush hour. Salisbury Station has near continuous train movements on a week day.
    Depot moves, container freight to Southampton Docks, Stone Freight to Acton (and other stone yards), passenger traffic to Portsmouth, Passenger traffic to London Waterloo, Passenger traffic to Cardiff, passenger traffic to Exeter and frequent rail tours pass through.

In the BR era, Class 50s, 33s, 31s and 47s were very common on the route, as were old DMUs. The new Traincare Depot was built by BR to house the brand new NSE Class 159 DMU. The route also saw the introduction of the first ever non BR locomotives, the class 59.

In the modern days, the depot houses the SWT/SWR Class 159 and their additional class 158s.
    The station sees class 166 and 165s from GWR, along with GWR 158s.
    Class 66s and 59s regularly pass through with freight.
    Heritage rail tours seem to pass through weekly in some form too.

I don't know the distances of route between various stations or overall, or how long DTG would want to make the route, but Salisbury would make a great location for a busy route.

Plenty of train formations change in the station, with the depot being adjacent.
    9 car units running to Waterloo, but split at Salisbufy to form smaller ones running west to Exeter.
    This would make for interesting services, and a scenario where one unit in multiple has a technical issue and needs to be removed and sent to the depot.

I know that the 158 DMU is a heavily requested unit by players and I feel this would be a fantastic route to include.

Heading from Salisbury to Gilingham are many disused stations, platforms and sidings which make interesting features along the way.

• Like Like x 2
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Would love to see this.

• Like Like x 1