PC Sand Patch Grade - Powering America [part 2] Savegame Bug

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by shackcat, Aug 29, 2020.

1. shackcat

shackcat New Member

So whilst doing this scenario I blew through the red light and failed the scenario.

Blew the red light ahead.jpg

Reloaded from the both the automated savegame and my own save game. In both instances my Lead Locomotive had no power and the train started going backwards. On further investigation I discovered that when the player laods the 'a save game', the game modifies the saved game and switches the 'Generator Switch' to the off position.

Generator switch to off.jpg

I was able to complete the scenario after reloading and turning on Generator Field as soon as game loaded.

• Like Like x 1
  2. vongprimo

vongprimo Member

Shackcat, thank you so much for these, i had the same issue and thanks to you this was solved fast and easy, so thank you again

3. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Loading a saved game in TSW (any version really) has always been somewhat of a hit or miss. The Generator Field switch is one that always happen. Also, DPU settings can change, signals can be messed up etc., Best is to try and not rely on saves at all, and if using them, do so knowing you might have to reply the scenario all over even though you saved.

This is something that, at least me personally, feel that DTG should be a little, well ashamed over. Its unreliability of saves has been there since day 1 of the original TSW release. I was there, I experienced it. I raged! ;) Ok, it was a bug, surely this will get fixed, but alas, now over 3 years later...still only one save for the whole game (should be one for each scenario, or at the VERY least, one per route), and it can't be trusted. This is border case (trying to be polite here) "redonculous". Come on DTG, really? Adam, please fix this, once and for all...mmm, K? <3

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I’ve been running into issues with various settings on locos no longer working after restoring Oakville Sub saved games under TSW 2020 for literally months now. So far, this has affected the Cut-out valve, the DISP button on the banking radio (when running a DPU train), and the ditch lights switch. The fixes were easy enough for me to figure out, but now I hear that this bug has been around long enough to affect multiple revs of TSW- and it’s still not fixed. Really?

What am I or any other TSW player to assume at this point... even if DTG cares about non-fatal issues like this, they likely don’t have the resources to address any of them. If they did, this issue would’ve beed resolved years ago. And sadly, with all of the other glaring issues going on in their code these days, they might not even care about less critical issues like this. It is what it is at this point... this is how DTG rolls from one version of the game to the next. And it’s not likely to change based on what I’ve been seeing.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  5. pdxpony

pdxpony New Member

I came across this because just starting, I had to figure this out on my own and then went to see if anyone else experienced it. Then I read this:

"Loading a saved game in TSW (any version really) has always been somewhat of a hit or miss"

This is sad. A saved anything that doesn't save "some" things isn't really saved. Imagine an article that you saved which no longer included the letter "a". A saved image that no longer included the R of RGB.

I know, everyone wants to be a pilot so Flight Sim gets all the money. But there are a bunch of us who want rails, and clearly we paid for it, both before and after the wallet.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I believe it's on the RoadMap to look into this. So hopefully in a not too distant future, this nonsense of not being able to trust that one lonely single save they have given us to cover the whole game and all of it's DLC, will end.

• Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

What's so hard about having one save file per route, as opposed to one for the whole game?

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

One of the known bugs with saves is that loco setups default back to the start configuration. This can really bite when you're climbing that dang mountain, and your banking locos half a mile downhill have gone offline!

• Like Like x 2
  9. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Let's hope so. It's well overdue. I'm fortunate not to have had too many issues with reloading a save game but there have been times and I agree this should be sorted sooner rather than later and why not a save for each scenario ... SPG, Bakerloo etc and DLCs. I don't know of any other game which doesn't have reliable save/load games and often waypoints/checkpoints along the way as well. Vital for the longer scenarios/missions you'd have thought.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mancunian#7861

That's one for DTG to answer but what indeed?!

11. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, why not try the SaveGame Manager Tool ? In my experience, this works well and get around the current one-save limitation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mancunian#7861

Thank you raretrack. Incidentally, just as an aside, how does one get into the 'select a route' from the main menu without having to first go into then press escape, go back to the main menu and select continue saved game? There has to be a quicker, simpler method than that surely?

13. raretrack

The main menu is the only place I've found that has the 'Resume a saved game' feature. You don't have to be in the same route as the saved game, though. For example, if you're in the Clinchfield Railroad main menu but your saved game happens to be from Arosalinie, clicking 'Resume a saved game' will load your Arosalinie save.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  14. mancunian#7861

Yes I understand what you're saying but I don't know how to get to that screen from the main menu, that's the problem. :( I've also been watching some YouTube videos and one even had a screen showing Service Collection - choose from available services and I don't know how to get to that screen either - showing the various destinations, how many medals you have etc. Of course the game *may* have been updated since then, I don't know?

15. raretrack

May I recommend the excellent TSW Starters Guide by Rudolf. Chapter 7 explains the various content types (different ways to run trains).

• Like Like x 1
  16. mancunian#7861

Thank you raretrack. Yes I was perusing it an hour or so ago but couldn't find this particular topic but chapter 7, ok I'll go look again. Cheers.

17. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Go to settings and turn off “auto load journeys”.

I think this will deliver what you are asking about.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mancunian#7861

Thank you. I'll check it out in a bit.

19. stevegad

stevegad Member

Thanks a lot. This drove me CRAZY and a long scenario like this certainly needs fixing, and SOON please.