Sand Patch Grade Problem

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by neilhar#8925, Apr 22, 2021.

1. neilhar#8925

neilhar#8925 New Member

I am new to TSW and TS2021, and am enjoying most of what I have tried.

What I am definitely not enjoying are the Sand Patch service scenarios out on the road - I haven't managed to complete one yet! Switching in Cumberland Yard is fine.

For example, yesterday I had another go at Powering America Part 2 with the ACW. Again, all was well until I got past Sand Patch, when speed started to drop off going up the grade and wheel slip started. I reduced the throttle and applied sand, but in a short time I had slipped to a stand, and try as I might, I could not get the train started again. I followed Matt's instructions - train brakes off, loco brake on full service to hold the train on the grade, power up the amps while reducing the loco brake to release. No joy at all - extreme wheel slip with the train starting to roll back down the grade.

Am I missing something? Does anyone else have this problem? It's all very frustrating.

2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe you don't have your DPU setup correctly, so your helper units at the end of the train aren't supplying any power. If you do a search in these forums, there are several step-by-step guides floating around.

3. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Hi Neil. Yes, it's a problem a lot of people have with SPG - it's a case of setting up ALL the locos, front and back, to act in unison so the back ones help, too. It's not explained in the tutorials at all unfortunately but someone (sorry, can't remember who off-hand) produced a great, easy to understand in its simplicity etc which I've downloaded and printed out. I'll attach it here for you to do likewise if you wish although, as I say, I take no credit for it whatsoever. :) TSW2_SPG multiple loco config.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. neilhar#8925

neilhar#8925 New Member

Guys (I assume) - that's great many thanks with this help. Hopefully that solves the issue I have. Am having a break from Sand Patch at present, and am now trying to get into King's Cross with an HST in Great Railway Journeys without speeding through a TRS at Hitchin at top line speed that isn't mentioned in the introductory briefing (although the one between Brookmans Park and Potters Bar is) or running red lights on the drop down from Finsbury Park. It is marked as a very hard scenario, though. Just about to try attempt number 3.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Plus: for DPU settings to be correct - just turn ON Banking Comm (radio) in the locomotive in front.
    PS Of course, a walk is good for your health :D

6. mancunian#7861

Good luck with that then, Neil.

7. mancunian#7861

Yes I did that already. It must be something else in my case but I can't argue with your PS ... theoretically at least. :)

• Like Like x 1