Save Game Has Errors

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by clydedsouza, Apr 3, 2022.

1. clydedsouza

clydedsouza New Member

I played this route Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen on DB BR 442 ‘Talent 2’ but whenever I save the game, especially when the passenger doors open. Then I reload the last save and close the passenger doors, I get stuck on the platform with brakes fully engaged as a safety measure. Even though the doors are closed.

Plus whenever I save a game before opening passenger doors and after closing passenger doors, I cannot close it with the arrow buttons on the train which forces me to use the center button to close doors which is still working normally.

Also, whenever I reload a save no safety brakes are applied when passenger doors are open.

I urge dovetail to fix this issue as soon as possible.

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

While I understand your frustration, being a long time TS player I don't think this will be fixed. Most of us have learnt to live with the fact that savegames can lead to weird behaviour. In some cases it helps saving when your loco is in a neutral state and stopped. Some developers like Searchlight Simulations do not recommend saving at all using their locos.

The reason for that is that the savegame routine dates back to Kuju's Rail Simulator, from days where the locos were not heavily scripted as nowadays. This means that local script variables are not saved, but global ControlValues are.

To help you understand, the core game lets you modify a ControlValue by moving a handle or pressing a key directly. This is what the base game provides. To allow more complex simulation, lua scripting is supported. Most modern TS locos use a script to modify a ControlValue. To give you an example, this means instead of directly changing the "Regulator" ControlValue by moving the throttle handle to the max - which would give a Regulator ControlValue of 1, you are moving a "VirtualThrottle" which gives the handle's position to a lua script which then does its calculations and applies the ouput to the core Regulator ControlValue. This opens up the possibility to simulate complex systems (take the Class 86 or 73) - but can break savegame compatibility because the local variables the script uses are reset to defaults upon reloading, while the ControlValues are in a different state now. If a savegames works or not depends on the script complexity and structure.

Though it would really be a huge step forward if DTG would overhaul the save system - but this is surely not a trivial thing to do - it might even be required to change the format of the rolling stock .bins. On the other hand if I'm about to play an hour long scenario I just take the time for it.

Hope I didn't annoy you with my tech babble.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2022
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As this is a TSW2 Route you are having a problem with I suggest you post on that Forum
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/forums/technical-reports.80/

This forum is for Train Simulator 2022 - you can tell by the logo at the top of the page and the background pictures