Scenario Creation Issues/out Of Memory

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by class455, Nov 8, 2020.

1. class455

class455 Member

Hi there,
    Over lockdown, I have got back into playing train sim and have been trying my hand at creating scenarios for different UK routes. So far they have worked well, however I have run into difficulty on the last three scenarios I have created. Support haven't been of much help so I thought it would be best to come to the community instead.
    Firstly, I have created a scenario for the ECML London to Peterborough route. There are no issues with the AI that flags up on the timetable view and everything runs well at the start of the scenario. However, 15 minutes into the scenario and all AI trains between Kings Cross and Potters Bar start running very slowly indeed (around 0.5mph) and there seems to be a signalling issue at Kings Cross. One train that I've set to depart, formed of a DTG Class 801 seems to run no further than the signal at the end of the platform and another incoming train - scheduled to arrive 3 minutes after the departing train leaves stops midway between Gasworks Tunnel and the platforms at King's Cross before moving again after 5 or so minutes - even though both trains (I believe) have the same signal priority.

Also when I tested the scenario, the player train made it as far as Biggleswade where I was greeted with a red signal, even though nothing was in front or approaching and the junction was set for me to move to the fast line. I proceeded past the signal only for the train to derail.
    I also created two scenarios on the South London to Thameslink route on Steam workshop. Again these were without any AI related issues, however as soon as I completed making the scenarios and cleared the game cache, I get out of memory issues and cannot play the scenarios unless I either play another scenario before or go into the editor first. It is rather annoying considering I spent a lot of time making these scenarios yet I'm unable to play them when I want to.

Has anyone else encountered such issues and if so, how have you managed to fix them? Any advice on what to do would be very much appreciated :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That happens when the points are not set for the train you are driving -
    Did you try to TAB past the Red Signal?
    Did you check in the 2D Map before going pass the Red Signal?

When you have created a Scenario you can push the Play button in the bottom right and watch it happen
    That will show any problems that might have been missed.

3. class455

class455 Member

Yes I did both, when I tabbed the signal I was denied and I checked the map to find that the signal was routed towards the fasts when nothing was coming and I had pathed my train to stop on the slow lines! There was meant to be a train passing by on the fast lines but this was one of the few trains that started crawling 15 minutes into the scenario.
    I must admit I've been short on time recently so haven't had a chance to try the play button but this is something I'll do.

4. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

There is an official scenario on New York - New Haven with the Acela that behaves similarly.
    It's all lined up until you cross the preceding signal (sometimes clear, sometimes danger, or I don't remember) and then it switches against you so you derail. Occasionally the switches are only set once in a while. I was doing a QD on NS Coal District, reversing to couple another train for fun, 3 cars passed the switch then I got undercut and derailed.
    Approach very slow, try to switch manually, it should say if it's locked and why (set for which train).

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I have this on several scenarios... If you go to that point and find that there's points or a crossover there, also see if there's a destination marker before and after, and if so set a go via with the linespeed in the mph box. This will force the consist to attempt to fly through if possible.
    Unfortunately the dispatcher in TSx is very glitchy but there are various "options" you can play with to force it's hand and pathing, especially in congested areas, is one of them

6. class455

class455 Member

Cheers, I seem to have figured it out. It seemed to be caused by congestion at Kings Cross and another train overtaking one awaiting a path on the wrong line in Gasworks Tunnel for some reason. It's little surprise that they're sorting that out in real life currently!

I have also figured out the signalling issue which caused my train to get stuck at a red signal and then derail at St Neots (not Biggleswade) - an AI train heading south had been incorrectly set to call at the northbound platform so had to cross all lines to reach it.
    I have yet to test my other scenarios on the South London and Thameslink route to see if they still crash upon loading but will feed that back

7. ARuscoe

Sounds like the dispatcher to me. It tries to route everything as it sees fit rather than doing what's expected... I suggest being unambiguous in your routing (ie put in go vias in the busy areas) so it knows where you want them to go rather than having to work it out for itself

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I remember a similar dispatcher problem on the Oxford - Paddington route where you had to depart Paddington at a fixed time and if you did not an inbound HST would collide with you

9. class455

class455 Member

Speaking of the "Go Via" function, is there any way to make it work without it appearing as it being completed unsuccessfully in the scenario?

10. ARuscoe

Usually this is because the speed you're applying to the via is higher than is achievable in game either due to linespeed, junction speed or traffic restrictions.

As an example if you said the player consist had to pass New Cross Gate P3 at 75mph, this is above linespeed so is unachievable
    If you said they had to pass a marker just before a switched junction they may not be able to achieve 75mph either
    If they're following a blocker AI, ditto

The best thing to do with player go vias is to always set the speed to 1mph, another option is to hide it from the requirements list, therefore it doesn't get marked as pass or fail no matter what

With AI the opposite is true. They will attempt to go via the marker at the speed you have set or whatever the line or junction speed is at that point so better to put a higher speed than a lower one