Scotrail Class 68 Air Brake Operation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jadam12004, Sep 3, 2020.

1. jadam12004

jadam12004 New Member

I always have to learn the hard way, but I cannot figure out how to use the air brakes on the Class 68. I have consulted the manual and I still can't figure it out. How do you get the Loco moving without triggering the emergency brakes. The brakes seem to be stuck in the hold position and will only release as long as I hold down the colon key, and then this activates the emergency brake after a few seconds. I am sure it is an obvious fix, and the solution is probably right in front of me, but I can be a bit thick at times. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It mentions on Page 8 of the Manual that Numberpad Enter will Cancel the DSD which goes off every 60 seconds
    Failure to cancel it will cause the brake application
    Use Ctrl + D to switch it Off

Peter

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The 68 has been classed as "broken" for quite a while and it is very easy to trip into emergency braking when doing a normal application.
    Only fix I've seen is the AP enhancement patch which turns this method of emergency application OFF and leaves only the big red button as the emergency brake

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

People who feel like changing the loco bin file can stop it going in to Emergency
    The brake should be the same as the Class 66 and be sprung in Apply and Release