Sd40-2: Selector Lever

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Yerolo, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Can please someone explain the 1,2,3 and 4 setttings on the Clinchfield SD40-2 selector lever ? I know the B setting switches it over to dynamic brakes which I have been using just fine. When throttling there does not seem to be much difference in having it in the 1 or 4 setting.

Is this lever the equivalent of the Unit Selector lever in the F7 which has been noted is not simulated (which is odd in itself seeing as though the tutorials instruct you to set it when setting up)

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Type 'selector' in the search field :) (LINK BELOW)

link << SD 40 MANUAL

or...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
  3. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Thanks....so it is the equiv of the F7's Unit Selector switch then meaning it isn't simulated either ?

• Like Like x 2
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I don't know, is it simulated or not, but probably... not (neither F7 nor SD 40)
    It is an equivalent in my opinion.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In any case (how it works) means the same thing in both cases - the number of connected locomotives.
    Not to be confused with the F7 transition lever. There (F7) that selector is a switch, not a lever :)

PS even before you asked, I didn't know it either, but you inspired me to search - this is a nice manual!

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Firstly it’s an SD40 in Clinchfield, not an SD40-2.

The selector lever positions 1-4 are for power transitions of any connected locos that do not have automatic transitions for the power. Position 1 is all you need because all the locos in CRR have automatic transitions.

It is not the same as the unit selector in the F7.

• Like Like x 4
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

check linked quoted IRL manual :)

transition is linked with transition lever

F7 has both transition lever and selector switch
    SD 40 has a selector lever

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You are talking about a different control to the one the OP wants to know about.

From the same manual...

• Selector Lever
      The controller is equipped with a selector lever, Fig. 2-5, in instances where the locomotive unit is equipped with dynamic brakes or when it is necessary to manually control transition on trailing units not equipped for automatic transition. On units so equipped, this lever serves to establish proper circuits for either of these functions. The position of the lever is indicated in the lower of the two illuminated windows located at the upper left corner of the controller front panel. The lever is spring loaded so that movement all the way in one direction will index the selector cam one notch only in that direction. It must be allowed to return to center position before indexing again in either direction. When the selector lever is indexed to the B or braking position, the dynamic braking electro-magnetic contactors are energized. In this position the throttle lever moves freely (without notching) to control a braking rheostat and dynamic braking strength.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

nope - check the thread title - check carefully :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Check the words he uses in the post about how he knows what B is on the ‘selector lever’ but not what 1-4 are.

11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Oh, man. He asks about SD. SD doesn't have transition control. Are you kidding now? This mentioned lever works as a selector (manual...)

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A ‘Unit selector SWITCH’ is not the same as a ‘selector LEVER’

EDIT - misunderstanding all sorted now

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

check both manuals
    I did it
    No comment

In F7 this is a switch - in SD - lever

14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

for you - F7 manual

15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

looks similar? number of units - both SD and F7 greetings

16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t want to fall out but The SD40 has a transition lever. I quoted from the same manual you did. You need to read the quote I posted. It has nothing to do with the F7. Read the bit from the SD40 manual I posted. The transition lever is to control transitions in other locomotives attached to the SD40 that don’t have automatic transitions. I know what I’m talking about.

Read the bit I quoted. It is about the selector lever in the SD40. We are not talking about the Unit Selector Switch in the SD40 (a different control on the back panel, not in the control stand) or anything in the F7.

• Like Like x 1
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

:) no need to argue - we probably didn't understand each other - forgive me!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back to the topic - maybe someone will need it:

F7 manual
    SD 40 manual

source

18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m not wanting to argue. I just think you have the wrong end of the stick about what control the OP is talking about and have given the wrong explanation to someone wanting to know what this specific lever is for. What you have quoted in your own post above still isn’t correct. The selector lever in the SD40 is the same as the transition lever in the F7 and has nothing to do with the number of locomotives. That’s why it is next to the driver, in the same vicinity as the transition lever in the F7. It too has the dynamic brake position, something the OP mentions in his post. The control you are thinking about (that the OP does not want to know about) is the same as the selector in the F7 and is positioned on the back wall of the SD40 and isn’t simulated in the game.

19. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The lever I am referring to in the SD-40 is the one in the control stand...it has 6 positions (B-off-1-2-3-4). I know what the B and off positions were for; this thread was to gain an understanding of the other 4 positions.

Sorry if I created an argument here....that wasn't my intent.

• Like Like x 1
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

F7 MANUAL

Unit Selector Switch
    The unit selector switch is used only on locomotives equipped with dynamic brakes and a field loop circuit. Its purpose is to adjust circuit resistance for uniform dynamic brake operation.

This switch should be set to the No. 1, 2, 3, or 4 position, depending on the number of locomotive units physically and electrically connected together.

SD 40 MANUAL

113 Unit Selector Switch (if Used) The unit selector switch is supplied on locomotives equipped with dynamic braking and is located adjacent to the engineer's instrument panel. It has four positions (1, 2, 3 and 4) and should be set to correspond with the number of units in the locomotive.

MY ANSWER

LOOSING my religion :)

21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

No worry. Probably I am the one who is not right. 3:27 AM in Poland... BR & gn \o/

22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

True answer...

So - stujoy is right! mea culpa BR o7
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MERGE Back to the topic - maybe someone will need it:

F7 manual
    SD 40 manual

source

• Like Like x 2
  23. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Screenshot (35).png

As a practical matter, in-game it has no function since all locos are auto-transition.

It might just possibly become a thing if DTG give us a GP7 DLC (hint, hint)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

yes - from the beginning I mistook the switch and the lever - on purpose! << yeah sure
    going to bed, GN gentlemen, sorry for the trouble!
    and you mistook the thread again - I saw :D

• Like Like x 1
  25. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Sorry....for some reason I had it on my notepad that it was a SD40-2. It originally was planned to be a SD40-2 as seen here on the Sept 15 2020 roadmap:
    upload_2021-4-12_12-14-56.png

It was then changed to be a SD40 on the next one....I just forgot to update my notes :)

upload_2021-4-12_12-16-0.png

• Like Like x 2
  26. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I understand then it does the same as the service selector switch available at Caltrain´s shunter, so enable series--> parallel transition for generator on engines not fitted with auto transition feature. The difference is that here you can control this transition on up to 4 trail units while in Caltrain´s it´s normally working for just one trail unit, and here it also works to enable the dynamic brake. Is that correct? Sorry, I just played some minutes on those engines so far :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It's short and to the point. Just don't confuse selector lever with selector switch! I did so... :D

• Like Like x 1
  28. stevegad

stevegad Member

Thank you very much. I've been using it like a gearing system - which is probably why I'm in Clinchfield with a mixed consist at a standstill on a 1.6% in a blizzard. Silly, silly boy. lol.

29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

On the SD40, think of it as being more like the L1 and L2 positions on an automatic transmission- ordinarily you never use them (and in fact in-game they are nonfunctional)

• Like Like x 1
  30. stevegad

stevegad Member

Also September 2023 and there is still no banking com/DPU - even though Matt said it's "At the top of the fix list" A hill start, at night in snow with the SD-40, is lots of fun dragging several hundred tons of dead weight behind you, before we even get to the consist. Not good enough DTG. I've spent a LOT of money on DLC and we deserve better. To hell with the excuses.

31. stevegad

stevegad Member

Thanks Bill

32. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

While I agree that it should have never happened in the first place and certainly should have been fixed by now, I also think we shouldn’t put words into anyone’s mouths. Do correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sure what Matt actually said on the matter was this:
    He didn’t say it would ever be fixed.