1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seaboard Air Line Baldwin To Tampa Route - The Florida S-line

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by 777Gaming, Sep 14, 2018.

1. 777Gaming

777Gaming Member

Hi, I have a new idea that I think would be really cool for Train Simulator. My proposal is to have a Seaboard Air Line route from Baldwin Florida south to Wildwood Florida, and then west over to Tampa Florida, as the base route as it was in the early 1960's. Also because of this time period, all the locomotives, rolling stock, etc. would be labeled "RAILROAD" because of the re-brand just after WWII. There were three yards on the route: Baldwin, Wildwood, and Yeoman (Tampa). The biggest yard on the route was Wildwood. Wildwood had a station/platform, a turntable and roundhouse, engine shops (for fixing locos), and servicing shops (for cleaning/refueling locos). The route would have the Baldwin and Tampa, subdivisions as the main line, but also would include the Brooksville Subdivision, which is branch-line between Waldo and Tampa seen on map, and the Clearwater subdivision between Tampa and St. Petersburg. There would also be depots along the way. The locomotives included would be the EMD E7 (Numbered 3017 - 3048) with standard E8 engine sounds, bell, and horn, as these sounds are prototypically accurate (kind of. SAL E Units had M3 and M5 horns), as well as a Mars Light (Top headlight), and I know this is possible, as I’ve seen Mars Lights on other DTG locos. The loco would have two paint schemes; "Citrus" and "Mint Green and Orange". The loco would also have some coaches included such as lightweight "Silver Service" (Meteor and Star) Budd coaches for mainline passenger service (You could probably re skin the coaches from the FP7 "California Zephyr" pack), and heavyweight Pullman coaches for local service/secondary mainline passenger service (Sunland/Palmland). For freight, the EMD GP40 (Numbered 600 - 650) in the "Jolly Green Giant" scheme with SD40 engine sounds, a Leslie RS5T horn and an "Early Cast" EMD bronze bell. The GP40 is a diesel road switcher made by EMD in the '60s. They had an EMD 625E3 16 Cylinder engine that can produce 3,000 HP, had minimum of 300 RPM and a maximum of 900 RPM. The GP40 would work great because it's versatile and would overall perform well. The other freight locomotive included would be the ALCO RS-3 (Numbered 1629 - 1691) with RS-11 engine sounds, a Leslie A200 horn, and a standard ALCO bronze bell. This locomotive is also good because of the diversity of tasks it can preform, from pulling mainline freights, to being a yard switcher. Finally for freight, a standard SAL freight wagon pack (boxcars, gondolas, covered hoppers, cabooses, etc.) would be included, for example a “B-10” (PS-1) boxcar numbered 24000 - 25899. I also recommend looking at the MSTS route (Wildwood to Tampa) by Carey Stevens, and use historicaerials.com (Pictures from the 1960's) for further reference. I feel like this would be a great route for TS because one, This railroad hasn't been done yet, and two, it has a diverse range of services you could do from freight hauls to high speed passenger services. If it was built, there would most likely be 3-4 scenarios for each loco. Anyway, if any devs are out there reading this, and I’m talking not just DTG, but also private devs like Smokebox or DTM, you could take my proposal into consideration, as I believe the concept is neat and lots of people will enjoy it. And if someone does, I hope it isn't too difficult to build and model.

Kind regards, 777Gaming

BTW Here are some reference images/videos. Also scroll down for separate posts on the coaches.
    [​IMG]
    S.A.L. System Map
    [​IMG]
    EMD E7 Citrus Scheme (3017- 3048)
    [​IMG]
    EMD E7 Mint Green and Orange Scheme (3017 - 3048)
    [​IMG]
    ALCO RS-3 (1629 - 1691)
    [​IMG]
    EMD GP40 in "Jolly Green Giant" Scheme. (600 - 650)
    [​IMG]
    Caboose (note the slogan on the bottom right) Also here is a list of caboose slogans: http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/cabooseslogans.htm
    [​IMG]
    Waldo Depot
    [​IMG]
    Archer Depot modern day (Note the Semaphore Signal on the opposite end.)
    [​IMG]
    Archer Seaboard Depot Track View Early 1900s (Same track layout all the way until merger)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Williston Seaboard Depot (Platform & Street view)
    [​IMG]
    Hawthorne Seaboard Depot
    Capture.PNG
    Tampa Area Map (Tampa Northern track belongs to Seaboard in the routes time period. Both Hookers Point and Seddon Island shipping terminals were used after they bought up TN)
    [​IMG]
    Clearwater Seaboard Depot
    [​IMG]
    St. Petersburg Seaboard Depot

Sample for GP40 horn (0:39)

Sample for GP40 Bell

Sample for RS-3 Horn

Sample for RS-3 Bell (1:03)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    • Upvote Upvote x 6
  2. LivingLive

LivingLive New Member

I second that. I live near the S-line by Vitis Junction. I would love to see this route, and include an extension to Bradenton with the Tropicana train. I feel that the Florida west coast is getting overlooked. The S-line is one of Florida's busiest routes still today.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  3. 777Gaming

777Gaming Member

Thanks! I'm glad you share the same view as me!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    • Upvote Upvote x 1
  4. 777Gaming

777Gaming Member

This post is going to consist of Lightweight coaches. All lightweight cars are 85 feet, 0 inches long. Most of this information is coming from a book called "Seaboard Air Line Passenger Service The Streamlined Era".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pullman "Hollywood Beach" 5 double bedroom-bar-lounge "Sun lounge" and interior. The other two coaches in the series were the "Miami Beach" and "Palm Beach". The coaches all looked like this in Seaboard days and were numbered 20, 18, and 19 respectively.
    [​IMG]
    Seaboard 6600 - 6605 series Budd lounge/tavern observation car. The coaches had 34 seats in the tavern section and 24 in the main observation section. 6600 - 6602 would have the Silver Meteor tail sign on the rear door, and 6603 - 6605 new would have the Silver Star tail sign on the rear door in game.
    [​IMG]
    Seaboard 6200 - 6274 series 52 seat Budd coach.
    [​IMG]
    Seaboard 6100 - 6120 48 seat Budd diner.
    [​IMG]
    Seaboard 6050 - 6058 Budd baggage/dormitory. The coaches had 24 crew bunks in dormitory section.
    [​IMG]
    Pullman 10 roomette-6 double bedroom (10-6) sleeper "Richmond". The cars Seaboard owned in this class were as follows; Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, Columbia, Jacksonville, Lake Wales, Miami, Norfolk, Orlando, Petersburg, Portsmouth, Raleigh, Richmond, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Savannah, Tampa, West Palm Beach, and finally Winter Haven. The cars were numbered 36, 37, 35, 30, 32, 41, 43, 27, 33, 26, 28, 29, 25, 38, 29 (Both Raleigh and Sarasota were numbered 29), 31, 34, 42, and 40 respectively.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. 777Gaming

777Gaming Member

This post is going to consist of Heavyweight coaches. The coaches in game would be painted in Seaboard’s "Pullman Green" scheme. Again, most of this information is coming from "Seaboard Air Line Passenger Service The Streamlined Era".
    [​IMG]
    Pullman Heavyweight Railway Post Office (RPO) Numbered 150 - 157 (64 ft. 0 in.)
    [​IMG]
    Pullman 36 seat baggage/coach Numbered 254 - 288 (79 ft. 8 in.)
    [​IMG]
    Pullman 68 seat coach numbered 571 - 599 and 801 - 859 (81 ft. 0 in.)
    [​IMG]
    Pullman 36 seat diner numbered 225 - 243 (82 ft. 1 in.)

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    • Upvote Upvote x 1