Seems Like Dtg Are Guessing About Physics

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cwf.green, May 14, 2021.

1. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

I bought and tested HHL yesterday, to see whether they had improved the physics (in terms of traction and braking).

The traction physics seem to have been improved. The BR112 will trip if you increase traction force above the maximum (250 kN), which is an improvement compared to the old BR143 that you can run at 300 kN no problem (LOL).

The braking physics has been changed but it does not seem to have been improved.
    In my previous thread about German freight train physics I pointed out that all the freight wagons (before RRO/HHL) have identical braking performance. I also pointed out that Laaers and Sggmrss doesn't need to be changed since these are the only wagons with correct physics in this regard.

The MRCE BR182 also brakes unrealistically in light configuration (about 1.6m/s^2 while real value is closer to 1.2m/s^2, i.e. 33% error). The error might even be larger if P-brake was intended.

I don't own RRO so I cannot say whether the Sggmrss has correct physics but it seems as if DTG changed the physics from the correct one, to an incorrect one. This is quite disappointing.

On the plus side the BR112 may be braking realistically. Using R+E brake mass with the loco in light engine configuration the stopping distance is within 5% of the calculated value. I say may only because I'm not sure if the value printed on the loco is accurate since I couldn't find all the bremsgewicht values for the BR112.

In my passenger brake physics thread I described that the Dosto wagons were braking around 20% too much. My hope was that this would have been fixed with HHL since it's just a parameter change, but instead the Dostos now brake about 15% too little. It seems as if DTG are changing physics in a heuristic and unsystematic way rather than working from physical principles/empirical data. Then you get this sort of "pendulum swinging back and forth" effect.

Conclusion/TLDR:
    1. BR112 brakes and accelerates realistically in light engine config, with Dostos it brakes unrealistically.

2. MRCE BR182 brakes very unrealistically in light config, especially if P-brake was intended, and Sggmrss wagons are about 15% off. If they were left at the same value as all other wagons they would've been realistic. You can say that real wagons will vary somewhat around an average and while this is true, I think in this context that would just be an excuse to not look up/implement the real values.

These inaccuracies together with the faulty PZB made me refund HHL. Driving trains that behave unrealistically just doesn't do anything for me.

• Like Like x 1