Train Sim World 3 Sehs-ecw-lbn Mega Merge

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pessitheghost, Mar 21, 2023.

1. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

This merge would include a huge merge from Victoria all the way to ashford (via the southeastern network) and (the southern network) this would be a huge network merger of the south london, and chatham mainline with a line running to and from ashford intl.
    What do you guys think of this

• Like Like x 4
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The missing piece here is the Marshlink line Eastbourne Hastings Ashford international. Bundle is called TSW 3 Southeast Region starter complete with Cajon Pass & SFS Hannover Würzburg Kassel Würzburg as the routes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pessitheghost

yep and the south london line as a london bridge/charing x/cannon st terminus

• Like Like x 2
  4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think this would be only for next gen consoles and pc. It's a lot of stuff to load in front of you and in the background waiting to be loaded with thousands of services running around with all the trains in game along with dlcs. Idk if it's optimized well enough to not cause problems lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Good idea on paper - horrible idea in actually. Considering how mostly built up this route is it'd be hell to ezpiernece with its frame rate - not to mention BML have issues to this day that would plague the route even further including SEHS issues. Its just not practical especially when they'd have to make the 377 from scratch with the lighting issues it already has.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pessitheghost

i don’t mind it being next gen/pc exclusive and to make sure optimisation is good it should be a phased merge starting with SEHS - ECW, then ECW/BML merge in at brighton before it now merges to form a full network

• Like Like x 1
  7. pessitheghost

would phased introduction help the route be better done, where each branch is slowly added

• Like Like x 1
  8. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

This will only happen when DTG and Co stop making stuff for the dying "old gen" consoles. Fingers crossed that will be soon

• Like Like x 2
  9. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

There is still a lot of people on old gen. It is not going to be soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. smugstarlord#4202

Then game won't become what its potential truly will be when you have to provide for dinosaur technology

• Like Like x 1
  11. pessitheghost

that’s what i’m saying, we will never get longer routes and merges because of gen 8 consoles, because gen 9 can run MSFS which simulates the whole world very very well

12. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

ahem and gen 8 can run it well too at 30fps

13. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

btw even gen 9 will sorta struggle running it, the gen 9 consoles can still crash on the bml and that plus the extra track and much more services (2500+ I'm assuming), gen 9 may struggle, well at least crash a lot of times in busy areas

14. pessitheghost

gen 9 consoles don’t necessarily struggle on BML, the only crashes that were happening on XSS/X were due to game bugs
    so then again it just proves my point about poor optimisation on DTGs part, and on XSX/S you run flight sim with much higher quality than on XB1. Then again we are in the console generation for simulators, so idk why people keep thinking consoles can’t run sims when that’s not close to true

15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not sure you're thinking this through...
    Victoria to Ashford is 59½ miles with 29 new stations needed (not including VIC and Ashford Int.)
    Ashford to Eastbourne is 43 miles with 16 new stations (not inc Ashford or Eastbourne)
    Wivelsfield branch is 9 miles with two stations
    And might as well "chuck in" Rochester to Bickley Junction to complete the merger at both ends, that's 21½ miles with 6 more stations

So to get the basis of your suggestion we would need a further 133 route miles and 53 stations... That's a lot!
    And does nothing to address the concerns of many people which say "please no more electrostar EMU nonsense, I beg of you!" (Yes the 171 is diesel, but the Marshlink route is also bland boringness with very little service and only two stopping patterns)

• Like Like x 2
  16. pessitheghost

good point, what would you think the best way to merge this would be?

17. ARuscoe

I would disregard the Marshlink line as there are much better diesel routes to be done
    If I had to link the two systems (BML and SEHS) together then I would add on a CML extension running Victoria to Rochester (34 miles, 20 stations via the Catford loop) and maybe some of the surrounding south London lines to utilise the 700, 465 etc so maybe add in Orpington branch (3 miles 2 stations), the Sydenham Hill branch (just under 7 miles, 7 stations)

This would fill out a heck of a lot of South London Services, and with the 377,375,700,465 (get them to do a 466 just to make up the numbers),66,37 and maybe a London Overground DLC we'd almost have a full roster. Only the 376 would be outstanding and that would be better off with a full North Kent Lines route (which is another subject)

But again, there's loads more country out there to be built so this is all a bit "naval gazing for the EMU crowd"
    Why not make the Liverpool / Manchester area with a load of diesel and EMUs, or South Wales in the transition from pacers to sprinters (or even backdated to 37s, 47s and whatever diesel flea traps they had back in the 70s and 80s)?

• Like Like x 2
  18. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

It doesn't make much sense to merge BML with another extended SEHS as no services would run between them (it would only save the need to exit to the menu and back when changing trains at London Victoria).

Merging BML with an extended ECW is more logical as that would enable full length Eastbourne to Victoria services to be driven.

• Like Like x 3
  19. pessitheghost

People on this forum need to realise that most of the time it’s modern routes that make dovetail the most money

20. lucasfor49

Yeah uhh - still better diesel routes ngl. ANYTHING from the Midlands would work or in northern Scotland and they'd likely make the dough - especially with the rise of torrentening some people are being forced into that simply by being well, bored of the same content and or don't want to waste. DTG while knowing its market needs to relize eventually if they make the same kinds of routes tormenting will just be more often and sales go down. I'm not saying you should torrent I'm just saying it's rising.

• Like Like x 1
  21. pessitheghost

yeah but if they are modern diesel they would still sell

22. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Like Leeds to York for example :)
    Some good commuter and express services all on DMUs!

23. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

would be cool but I feel like it would be to complex for dtg to add

24. pessitheghost

yes or the fife circle line

• Like Like x 1
  25. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Only because they haven't given backdated routes a chance. We haven't see a BR Diesel route from DTG since TSW2020.

Even so there are other areas of Britain such as the East which has had absolutely no routes which I find barmy considering it has such a variety of routes and units. Another 3rd rail route with another Electrostar will be an instant no buy for me as they have become rather dull and boring.

All I would like is one BR diesel route every couple of years and I would be happy. If it weren't for NTP I wouldn't still be playing the game.

• Like Like x 2
  26. pessitheghost

I can definitely see where you are coming from, me now being a much younger railfan, i’m not really interested in BR blue, although i would absolutely love a backdated 1980s ECML with the Deltics and HSTs running as i have nostalgia from playing TSC with these, but the thing about HSTs and deltics is they require long routes, you won’t get satisfaction from driving a deltic for 25 miles eh? i definitely want a BR Blue/Sectorisation era route in BR especially the ECML just before or around when the 91s entered service

27. matt#4801

I see what you mean but I have driven a deltic before and it was bloomin brilliant. It would be 25 miles in heaven.
    The good thing about the ECML is that for example York to Peterborough is just over 100 miles only has 6 stations and the scenery isn't too demanding so it would be a possibility, though I am not saying it will happen.

I would rather have a small shunting route with a deltic that another 3rd rail electrostar fest.

• Like Like x 1
  28. pessitheghost

i’m not really into electrostars either, i prefer longer intercity routes, don’t mind the era i would love to be in the cab of a 125mph train doing services to leeds, york, edinburgh or even inverness, or even go up the west coast to Manchester, Liverpool or Glasgow, i’m a very big fan of long distance fast/semi fast intercity, i also like commuters and regional but mainly intercity. You could give me a Peaks, Deltic or an Azuma i’ll take it as long as you give me a route with good distance. I really like BML,GWE and Edinburgh - Glasgow because they offer what i like

29. matt#4801

I agree and this is why I wouldn't want to see this suggestion: I would rather the time went into a proper intercity route than commuter ones.

30. pessitheghost

but yea, i agree the east is extremely underrepresented, not even a GEML

• Like Like x 1
  31. twinboo

twinboo Active Member

The dilemma with the ECML is that you either have the Deltics or InterCity 225s, sadly not both.

32. pessitheghost

i wouldn’t mind any, it’s like picking apple juice and orange juice

33. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

I hope the DTG focus is on NextGen console and PCs for future trains Sim world titles.

• Like Like x 1
  34. lucasfor49

That's litterally what I was implying...

35. ARuscoe

There are more, almost fully populated modern routes in game than there are populated non-modern routes so you're probably right, but I think DTG would be remiss to leave out extension of the BR blue era, if only because many of those older locos would fill in a few gaps in the 80s and 90s and many of the locos introduced then lead into now, ie if we had routes that have changed little in the last thirty or forty years (and there are a few of those in the UK) we could easily have two or three "eras of timetable" using basic stock
    Again, going back to south wales, the 37s, 47s and probably some class 2 diesels basically ran the place with a DMU or two until the sprinters and pacers came in. They ran the place til a few years back with the HST and now we have the sprinters on the locals, the IETs on the regionals, the 158 and HST still on the line...
    So with the 37,47,150,158,43 all in game, add in an 800 and a 143 you can essentially have any period from 1990 to now on the same basic routes, and it's not like the South Wales Valleys are bereft of branch lines, freight or high speed runs either so the scenario and timetable capabilities would be large

The same is true up North, or in the West Country

So I guess what I'm saying is that yes, you could stick with modern, but you can look elsewhere than the Kent Sussex border

36. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Gen8 is far from dead, even though it is reaching practical limits it is still very much alive.

• Like Like x 1
  37. smugstarlord#4202

It's holding back decent production on new gen because of the practical limits. Now gen consoles are easy enough to come by now

• Like Like x 2
  38. ARuscoe

Not sure this is the case for TSW to be honest. From what Matt's said a few times (and Sam before him) I think the game's built on PC for PC and then they start making it work on other platforms, normally by ratcheting back textures, layers and timetables so I think it's more a case of PS4 taking more time, but not necessarily holding back the dev cycle.
    I think the way DTG have built DLC in the past is more of a drain on development, because they built things ad hoc on a per DLC basis, meaning that to update one thing on all DLC they have to redev each time (take GSM-R as an example, it's on every UK train, but they didn't just "put a faceplate on it" and slap in a box later, so if they want to implement it now they have to dev a solution for each DLC)

• Like Like x 1
  39. pessitheghost

yep, the south wales mainline is probably a very good suggestion ( i would do it from swindon - cardiff) so you can get a healthy balance of everything older HSTs and Sptinters, Newer IETs, 387s and even TfW stock. DTG really need to stop with the Kent/Surrey/Sussex based routes, look more into the south west or eastern region or even wales, and dtg need to capitalise more on shunting and etc in routes, i think shunting would sell as well.

BR blue though, i feel like it would sell but it depends heavily on where it’s located , eg a BR blue ecml would sell quite a lot, but when it comes to BR imo, the best era to add would be the very late 80s, just before privatisation. But then again it comes down to taste. A br Blue wcml would sell a lot as well because of the APT. If you do a Stafford - Rugby or Preston to Carlisle with an APT it would be a hit because it has that retro feeling

40. pessitheghost

oh my bad, a 68 route would sell for sure

41. ARuscoe

From their annual "what do you want?" questions, both Sam and matt have said that UK freight is generally well down the list, behind intercities, scotland etc so not sure Shunting WOULD do well, though to be fair I did like the Grangemouth DLC in TSC...

Not sure on that. I would say probably 1980... still had all five diesel types in full mainline running as well as loads of DMU and EMUs. Late eighties had seen a lot of withdrawals, including things like the class 25 (which got everywhere...)
    Yes the system was basically run into the ground by then, but the main class types could be used widely without the need to keep rebuilding them (as DTG are wont to do it seems)

42. pessitheghost

a York - Newcastle would be very good in a BR blue era

43. ARuscoe

I'd always be looking at the locals, local freight, branch freight and industrial rather than the intercity on those ones. I know the intercities were the "glamour runs" but in essence they're big engines at top revs for two hours. And York to Newcastle is only six stations now, not sure many it was back then

• Like Like x 1
  44. pessitheghost

i don’t really know any BR freight routes to be honest

45. ARuscoe

I don't, outside of south wales coal and metal, but I'm sure people here would know loads, especially given almost all stations had goods and parcels handling. Even in the 90s many major rail stations had red star parcels and freight yards attached

• Like Like x 1
  46. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

This for me, on the proviso that they extend to Hastings/Ore. This with the Wivelsfield section would be the best route in the game by some distance

• Like Like x 2
  47. Folup1372#8582

Folup1372#8582 Well-Known Member

I Like it and i also like the enthusiasm, but that would take a lot of work and they would mean they have to overwrite what the have done so ... i dont know...