Selective Dlc Installations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Dec 31, 2020.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I’ve got TS installed both on a laptop and a PC.

However thanks to the size of recently purchased DLC, my laptop’s much smaller drive is almost full.

I notice in ‘Manage My DLC’ in the Steam portal that there are install tick boxes. Am I correct in assuming that if I untick DLC on the laptop Steam portal that these will be removed only from my laptop? Or will Steam remove them from my desktop too?

Basically what I’m asking is can you have two TS installations: a full one, and a minimal one on a separate computer?

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Unticking a DLC will remove it from only the system you are using.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You will find that Steam changes the settings so you can not use the DLC
    But it does not always remove the DLC from your computer
    If you are trying to free up space and having Unticked the DLC you need to manually remove the Assets Folder.

I was running short of space before an upgrade and removed 90% of my US Routes
    Leaving a few as the Assets were required in Freeware routes

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. inversnecky

Thanks guys

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I've stopped trying to manage it. I just let it all hang out now, and I'll buy a bigger drive when it becomes necessary.
    Screenshot 2021-01-01 10.31.16.png

6. Pookeyhead

Just a heads up. As I never play any US or European stuff, I decided to go down the "untick it in DLC manager" route to remove all the US stuff, and half of Preston station disappeared.

Hard drives are cheap.

7. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

The US assets pack is used in some UK routes. Wherry Lines uses it for at least one bridge, for example. I leave generic DLC always installed irrespective of my DLC interests at the time.

BTW, I find a bloated install slows loading times and appears to slows things down in game too, which is a reason to keep your install focused. Every six months or so I annihilate my Railworks folder and selectively reinstall my current interests.

8. Pookeyhead

I can't say I've noticed load times increasing as a result. Each route will just load what it needs. How much other stuff you have shouldn't effect it. The only thing that is slow as a result of just dumping everything on there is a delay from the first time you click "Drive" when first running the game and the drive/scenario menu appearing, but when I say delay, I'm taking perhaps 2 seconds... everything else is the same. It's clearly building a list of installed assets the first time it's run.

There's also no reason whatsoever for the game to run slower, unless you have TS installed on your Boot drive, and it is so full that Windows is struggling to assign scratch disk space. Or perhaps those on mechanical drives are suffering from Windows' inability to adequately de-fragment due to lack of space. I've noticed no difference in game speed at all despite just dumping literally every piece of DLC I own back on there because I've still got a ton of free space available. FPS and responsiveness is identical now, as to when I used to have very little DLC installed, otherwise I'd not do this :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. inversnecky

Does this advice for using separate drives also apply to SSDs?

10. Pookeyhead

If it's full, yes. fragmentation makes no difference on a SSD, but any system drive that's full will perform terribly when RAM starts get to get low.

11. inversnecky

I’m thinking I might have to bite the bullet to get a new SSD for the household gaming PC this year then. I’d got a 1TB C drive which now has only over 50GB free thanks to my son’s 700GB odd of Steam games now augmented by my 80GB of TS stuff.

I don’t know if it could be easily separated out into two drives, or you basically have to reinstall everything on a new D drive.

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

My Steam folder sits on a 1TB drive - called G:\ - and it has 261GB free
    But that is because I have TSW on it which I might remove as I don't play it.

13. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I have TS on the system drive and TSW on the data drive because I knew there wouldn't be room on C: for it. I've not actually played TSW much (really must get around to it at some time) but Steam made the installation easy and so far so good. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam had some means of moving already installed games. I'd suggest keeping TS on (or moving it to) the fastest drive you have to minimise any stutter when it loads scenery.

14. Pookeyhead

Personally, I'd just clone whatever drive it's on now onto a larger SSD