Shadow Draw Distance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ralphy_porter2000, Nov 10, 2020.

1. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

I get shadow pop up and want to increase the draw distance to mitigate.
    I have tweaked the graphics as per the guide on the steam page but cant find the shadow draw distance line.
    Any guesses?
    Cheers in advance

2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The only working method I found to reduce pop-in effects was to increase viewdistance and details, but it comes with a performance decrease, using the next three tweaks:

r.ViewDistanceScale=3
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=4

This one, which would be the needed to increase shadows distance, does not work:

r.Shadow.DistanceScale=4

With the shadows one you can only reduce them by setting values below 1 or 2 (those seem to be the upper limits used by default game indeed). You can´t overpass that limit. So you can note it down in case in the future we can use that line but today it´s useless.

As an alternative avoid the clear sky presets and use cloudy ones. The shadows outside limit is less noticieable under cloudy weather but not completely gone. But with it at least you could also avoid the annoying effect of outside light being rendered inside tunnels that happens in some routes when using clear sky presets.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1