Sherman Hill Tutorial Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Nov 29, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the Sherman Hill tutorials leave something to be desired.

SD70ACE:
    The initial tutorial instructions require repeated movements between sitting and standing. I realize that all DTG locomotives become active only when the engineer sits down, but the very next instruction requires a standing position. All right, the isolation switch can be reached in the sim while seated, but I very much doubt that this would be true in reality. The next instruction, turning on the fuel pump, requires sitting again, and the next requires standing. This strikes me as ridiculous!
    Once the start-up procedure is finally over, you're instructed to leave the cab to change a switch, which requires a considerably long walk; however, the instruction fails to mention that 2 switches must be changed.

SD40-2:
    Again, repeated standing and sitting during start-up procedure.
    Once the engine is started (requires leaving the cab and opening a door), closing the door before returning to the cab is not mentioned -- sure, it's logical, but ...
    This tutorial requires coupling, but there's no mention of how to proceed and at what speed.
    Although not actually a part of the tutorial procedures, this version of the SD40-2 includes the useless possibility of moving the mirrors: useless because they are incapable of reflecting what's behind the engine.

I'm just getting started, but will only add that I find the tone of the instructor's voice annoying -- not because it's female, but because it just doesn't seem to be taking things seriously.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The ACe tutorial also tells you to use banking comm, despite not having any DPUs.

3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

What's wrong wirh having to stand up again? Your virtual legs aren't going to get tired.

As for the SD70 tutorial, I don't remember having to set two switches. I changed only one and it was fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

When you stand up out the driving chair, the countdown timer asking if you want to surrender control starts to run.

5. Dinosbacsi

Only in timetable mode. In scenarios it doesn't.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

If you have more feedback on the tutorial voice over i'd appreciate it, I will pass it on to my wife so she can try and practice ways of improving it, she's always keen to hear what people think so she can do it better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dinosbacsi

Wow, I didn't know that voice is your wife. That's so cute.

In regards of the voiceover, I didn't find any problems with it, but I will replay it and listen to it again.

My biggest problem with the tutorials/instructions on this route is that they never tell you that the brakes can take several minutes to release. Early tutorials on CSX Heavy Haul did, if I recall correctly, it wouldn't be a bad idea here either. Because currently many players think they can't move due to a bug, and I can't blame them, the tutorial just tells you to put it in throttle and go.

8. DTG Matt

Yep we have some lessons to learn on the scripting and instructions for sure, i'm already talking ot Skyhook to help them learn from these lessons for their Horseshoe Curve route as well as talking to the Gameplay team so they can factor it into future tutorials as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I enjoyed her voice overs on Boston Sprinter and will be starting out on Sherman Hill soon.

Thank you for the bonus stream last night - enjoyable and helpful as well.

I send my best wishes to your wife for an uneventful course with Covid. Please keep us posted.

10. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I would like to add that I don’t like how the Hill Start tutorial was done. Besides the tutorial not letting you know to release the brakes for a few minutes, I think the hill start itself was fine.

But I was really disappointed to see that the tutorial doesn’t teach us how to use dynamic brakes. It basically said “We’re now over the summit. Let’s use the dynamic brakes now”. It literally just told me to use the dynamic brakes. Missing a step perhaps? Maybe let the player know that it has to be charged for a certain amount of time?

11. DTG Matt

Yep i've fed that back to the team. We definitely need to work on a few things for the tutorials going forwards.

12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Frankly, providing a user's manual to supplement the tutorials would be an enormous help. After all, once you've run the tutorial -- even multiple times -- you're on your own in the cab during a scenario or session. Those, like myself, who have a second monitor can easily use it to display the manual while the sim is running on the main screen. This can also be done, of course, with the manuals that I and others have put together and posted, but it seems to me that a route or engine DLC without a manual is an incomplete product.

• Like Like x 5
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

+1