Shunting / Switching Scenarios / Services

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by antony.henley, Mar 26, 2022.

1. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Could we see more switching / Shunting in the form fourth coming DLC. Although DTG have nothing to "announce" at the moment, what type switching / Shunting type dlc would you like to see?

Would you rather see

DLC* + Scenarios / timetabled services added to previous routes such as Sherman Hill, Oakville & Tees Valley? (a bit like the diesel legends pack for GWE)?

or

A whole route dedicated to just switching?

What would you also include.

*by DLC this could possibly be more wagons and Switching / shunting locomotives.

Please don't turn this into a bashing thread just try and keep it on topic.

Check out what Sam had to say about it in his stream.

Regards

Hentis

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

I would definitely vote for option 1 - adding more shunting services for existing routes.

Something like in example, when you have to create train from wagons standing on different sidings on a depot, then move this train to starting point, couple the loco. Then in next scenario yoi could drive this train to another location when would would have to add/remove some wagons to/from that train and move it to the siding, and then continue with the train to its final destination.

• Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Perhaps another "gameplay pack" which adds shunting services using the existing lineup of switchers, the SW1500/07/363/G6, even the GP38. There are whole shuntyards sitting unused in many existing routes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

A full switching-based route would be great. A freight branch line would be awesome to have. I'd be very happy with a shortline railroad, they just move a bunch of cars around and it's GREAT. Wonderful stuff. Put a bunch of cars together and watch some Class I railroad pick them up and drive away. Lovely.

Older routes could definitely use more switching for sure. Clinchfield is begging for some sort of switching locomotive, and Boston Sprinter would very much benefit from some sort of GP40-2 add-on. Then there's Oakville, where even though switching is the main focus of the route, it completely ignores Aldershot. So populating that and putting some switchers there would be nice.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I once mentioned in a stream that a DLC set in one of the Chicago area's giant yards, or a short route connecting two of them, and loaded with a host of various yard-based scenarios and duties, would be awesome. But Matt said that the core audience for just shunting and such was too small to support something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dave the cat

Dave the cat New Member

Great Idea about upgrading older DLC with shunting services.
    My 1980's memories of Paddington station were of Class 50's, Screaming Valenta HST's and large logo named 47's. A sensory experience that I have never again witnessed!
    also add the missing class 40 (from NTP) along with more shunting services for a great variety pack.
    A sort of "GWR through the ages" pack to go along with the "Legends theme".

• Like Like x 2
  7. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

I'd go for option 1. They could bring the NTP freight stock onto TVL and have a few scenarios in which we shunt wagons around the yard and get trains either ready to go into the docks, into storage sidings or ready for onward travel. Same for the American and German routes with yards on them. Free up all the freight so it all layers into the yards and give us a few shunting scenarios for each yard

• Like Like x 2
  8. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Hmmm Port of Montreal would be great for a switching heavy route + it’s one of the most significant parts of the supply chain in North America.
    Although I really wouldn’t have a problem with seeing some passenger action on some of these freight routes. I suppose the oakville route already has stations but they have to add a passenger system and the route would be pretty short no?

9. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I really hope the future liverpool/crew route has some kind of yard switching option.The route will most likely have some yard areas and another big yard full of redlights and useless track isn't needed.

10. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

There is a route I have mentioned several times which fits perfect with your desire: The Racetrack!
    BNSF Chicago to Aurora route!:
    - Total length = 37,5 miles ( around 60 km!)
    - 2 big yards at both ends: Cicero one in Chicago and Aurora one at that city.
    - 3 tracks minimum (some places more)
    - 26 passenger stations
    - BNSF Freight trains
    - Metra Chicago commuter one
    - Also Amtrak long distance trains

Then this should be a very interesting one for sure!
    You can make shunting on both yards
    You can drive freight trains between them
    You can drive commuting passenger trains (the ones running there are similar to Peninsula Corridor ones.

So traffic and drive will be very interesting.
    In real life it is "like" a Rush Hour route.

As you know BNSF will join TSW2 - hopes be this year! - so this will be a great first route for this railroad name.

Hope it happens!

• Like Like x 2