Simrail "prologue"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamy, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I see you can download Simrail 2021 prologue for free on Steam.
    First impressions are it looks pretty but god the trains are difficult to drive. Some good ideas for DTG to pinch
    I like the radio dispatcher for release from stations and entering red signals
    Untitled.png

• Like Like x 6
  2. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Looks a very clean and smart UI, the opposite of TSW.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

4. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

I've also tested it and it has potential. Graphics are pretty meh in my opinion, but hey thats not the number one priority. I like the details. The dispatcher, actually doing a brakecheck, needing to actually wait some time for the brakes to build up pressure and so on. I'm intrigued to see where this is going. And with a 300+km long route it could be cool for some long freight action.
    Only downside is I'm not really that interested in polish trains :P

• Like Like x 3
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

What do you mean? Scrolling to choose what route to play is my favourite thing in TSW!

Also what do you mean that it's not intuitive? It's almost as if it would incredibly hard to tell apart two different versions of the same locomotive. Next you'll tell me you don't find incredibly easy choosing the loco you want to repaint in the livery designer...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This really should be moved/merged to the thread in the Off Topic forum.

• Like Like x 3
  7. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Neither am i,
    but i can see the potential in this new train sim,

Having played the prologue a few weeks ago, i really like that it's a lot more of a sim than a game, having to set the train up properly, with brake and system checks,
    being routed to the opposite running line and having to change things like the headlights to the correct position to show you are running wrong line.

The possibility to control almost everything in the trains cab with joystick inputs is obviously something i'm very interested in, that alone could be enough to make me 'jump ship' as it seems that will never come to TSW2.

If what they say is true, that there will be a train and route editor, how long will it be before people have made routes and trains for the countries you are interested in?

i only like to drive German trains and routes, thankfully Germany has a lot of train simmers, and i can guess a lot of what is already in the sim can be used for the country next door to where it's originally set.

• Like Like x 2
  8. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that 100%. For me its Germany as well. But, if it releases which is seemingly kinda doubtful as it got way too quited around the game :(, I will buy it nonetheless, the more in depth realism will probably keep me occupied enough for the time being that I can forgive it being in Poland. I'm intrigued if the 300km track has services that are actually utilizing the full route. That'd be insane. You'd really need to buckle up for the journey :D
    I'm really looking forward to it, if it ever comes...

• Like Like x 1
  9. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

If they add an editor along with US locomotives and routes, I will definitely purchase. Am not interested in any European trains at all.

10. gazz292

I think the idea of the editor (which last i read, they are still going ahead with) it's upto you to make the content you "want"... or other people who share the same interests as you to make it.

Personally, i'm not interested in any american trains at all, i deleted the stock american route that comes with TSW2 just so i don't have to have it clogging up the selection screen as i will never click on it,
    i drive German electric trains 99.9% of the time.

But we are both pretty well off in this respect, there's a large German group of rail fans who produce plenty of DLC for TSW2 and TSC, plus the 'local simulators' Zusi, Lok Sim3D, DB simulator etc,
    likewise on your side of the pond, you have american groups making loads of DLC for TSW2, TSC, Run8, Trainz, derail valley and so on.

live somewhere like... oh, say.... poland, and there's not really much out there for the train simulator fans, until now that is.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

As far as TSW2 and TSC is concerned, most of the NA content is made by developers not located in North America. Skyhook games is in the UK. Smokebox IIRC is also not located in the US. DTM is located in South America. Milepost simulations is also UK based. Same thing with Travel By Train.

Only Searchlight Simulations, HIS,G-TRAX and Great Northerner are the only NA based developers AFAIK.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And the only developer of German content for TSW based in Germany is TSG;l all the rest are UK.

13. gazz292

ok, maybe i worded that wrong,

what i meant was that there are people who make lots of content for the various train simulators, but 99% of them make content for UK, USA and German routes.

there are the odd few people about who make things for Dutch, Swiss, Japanese etc routes.

but if your interest is modern Polish railways, AFAIK there hasn't been that much for you to choose from (i know this will result in someone posting a 200 line list of Polish train simulators that no one else has ever heard of)

What i'm getting at, SimRail isn't even out yet and people are saying they won't buy it unless it becomes yet another UK, USA or German train simulator,

• Like Like x 2
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I only play UK routes because I'm only interested in UK railways to drive, so I have no interest in a game set in Poland
    Hopefully it succeeds and then people from that region can have a game which they might relate to as "local for them"

15. gazz292

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture,

What could SimRail become if it succeeds, it may start as a Polish train or 2 driving along routes in Poland, but if it has an editor it could become anything you want it to,

I already like that it's more of a sim than a game, there's more to driving a train than just pushing a lever forwards to go, and pulling it back to stop, but i also understand that for some people, that's all they want, but some want more.

• Like Like x 2
  16. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Apologies. I do seriously need to get rid of this habit of removing posts. For context I talked about how SimRail could in the future pierce in the more mainstream US/UK/GER market while exploiting the "unserved niche" first.

I completely agree - I really hope that TSW itself will open up more to third parties. I remember the italian community coming up with some 3D models of italian trains that could work in UE4 when CSX HH released... I wish I had the right skills to try and develop a route myself...

The ease of use and simplicity of the MSTS editor (and game itself) was IMO one of the reasons it thrived with third party add-ons and the sole reason it's still used today.

17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, I'm watching with interest. I'll happily drive Polish (Dutch, Italian, Japanese) trains, if the sim is well done.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey folks - this is a perfectly fine conversation, but moving to 'Off Topic', as it's focus is not TSW2.

19. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If Simrail gets EU46 Vectron EU44 Taurus then DTG will respond with DB BR193 and 183. In Austria these are ÖBB Baureihe 1293 (two batches Eastern Europe 001-085 173-200 Belgium and Netherlands) & 1216 ( two versions Italy Slovenia E190 2nd version is Former Czechoslovakia and Poland Runs the Railjet on Riesa-Dresden route Großenhein Berliner Bhf Dresden Hbf). ED 250 can become Rabe 503 for Luzern Sursee DLC it runs both Geneva Airport to Luzern and Luzern to Frankfurt Am Main Hbf from Milano Cle via Gotthard Base Tunnel

20. QO1922

QO1922 Member

This game will be released on January 13, here you can find the trailer: