Simrail

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by andyscotland, Feb 2, 2023.

1. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

Hi all, has anybody played simrail yet? Just came across a video on YouTube and there's no other word for the graphics, they are simply stunning in comparison to anything on TSW, not sure why you would want a multilayer.mode though. It looks a very polished performance indeed so far and wonder if DTG have any plans to improve the look and feel of TSW instead of (in the main) simply rehashing old routes.

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

People love it for multiplayer. You can play as dispatcher too which has a steep learning curve but there are plenty of tutorials out there. You can't just go in and hop into a train and drive it. It's not as simple as tsw driving style where you just put in master key and throttle up and down. You have to play the tutorial in singleplayer. In terms of singleplayer there's only a handful of scenarios. If you're going in for singleplayer, you won't have a lot of fun. Save game isn't there yet I believe but they are working on a checkpoint system I think. If you go in for multiplayer, there's plenty to do

• Like Like x 2
  4. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I bought it, and it can be fun, but it still needs a lot of work. I'll check it out again after a few updates come through.

5. addry#6825

addry#6825 Well-Known Member

It looks alright but ive held off for now. I like TSW and how I can vary the length of my run, in Simrail its hours with no save. Theres also no ai in single player only other trains in multiplayer.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I tried it but refunded, the route just didn't do it for me, although it was nice to see no flickering on the OHLE. The camera positioning was awful, that needs work and there's no passenger mode or decent passenger view. I'll wait to see how it progresses but won't be delving in until there is a UK route with decent rolling stock and passenger mode.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Simrail 91 % (775 reviews) of the reviews in steam recommend the Simrail train simulator
    TSW3 82 % (1500 reviews) of the reviews in steam recommend theTSW3 train simulator

I am one of them positive in Simrail. In many things it is much better than TSW3

• Like Like x 4
  8. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Personally I am waiting to see if they fulfil their promises of upcoming features, especially the one of an editor.

9. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Yep, without an editor it’s dead in the water. Granted, TSW doesn’t either, but at least every route has a full day’s timetable and there’s plenty of content. The save game option also works somewhat better than before.

10. zero909

zero909 Member

When Simrail was announced i was really sceptical. But I am have to say also considering that it is still early days I would say that its quite a refreshing approach to train simulators.

I really like the multiplayer mode, not so much for chatting or talking to other players, which also a nice bit. But the biggest advantage of multiplayer is that it adds a level of randomness and uncertainty to the game. As in real life, people make mistakes, things take longer as if all is AI-managed or (even worse) scripted like the TSW3 signals which only turn green with doors closed. So as a driver you can get surprised. In TSW there is hardly any surprise.

So my point is, that randomness is something that TSW is completely lacking. For that randomness you would not even need multiplayer, it could be done by adding elements of surprise to the AI.

Really looking forward to see if Simrail can continue on their path and also keen to see if DTG are learning from their new competition.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If by "stunning in comparison to anything on TSW" you mean somewhere between Trainz and TSW then I would agree with you.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Actually (IMHO) DRS has better graphics than SimRail, as does Derail Valley and they are all Unity games.

In fact the WIP from Derail Valley "Simulator" forthcoming upgrade are positively mouth watering!

For me, SimRail needs to put in a save game and give the single player a full timetable plus the option to act as signalman, before I'm likely to pick it up again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Multiplayer in a rail sim would be interesting if you had a few people who you knew were playing seriously. An open lobby situation would probably always end with some idiot messing things up though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've never left a review on a game mainly because their very easily skewed.
    Glad you like the other game, but wouldn't rely on spurious statistics for how satisfied people are

15. jörgen Näslund

Have now driven over 20-30 hours in multiplayer and have no problems at all (EN1) This is a small problem

• Like Like x 3
  16. ARuscoe

Funny how one person's "small problem" can be someone else's "This game is broken, nothing works, impossible to play, needs to be fixed right now!"

17. jörgen Näslund

I never to. But if more like the simrail. then you can't possibly say that more people like TSW.
    I would probably say that it is quite accurate.9 of 10 people like the simrail. those who don't like it are here writing about it
    I already think that it has passed TSW.
    But you probably answer that it is the early access version, not the final version when you say recommend

18. ARuscoe

if I'm interpreting your data correctly...
    1500 reviews for TSW, 82% positive means 1230 people left a positive review
    775 reviews for simrail, 91% positive means 705 people left a positive review
    So more people on a single platform have left positive reviews for TSW3 and this isn't including TSW2, 2020, 1 or consoles.

"More people" would need more definition

• Like Like x 1
  19. jörgen Näslund

Yes you can read it that way and i I continue
    270 persons not like the TSW3 and 70 persons not like the Simrail.
    if you want to interpret information incorrectly, it will be wrong

20. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Going to run this one over to off-topic when it can battle for supremacy with the thread that exists already.

• Like Like x 2
  21. jörgen Näslund

Right now it is 270 drivers and 155 dispatcher out in the different servers.
    Yeah the simulator must be completed wrong, Nothing works ;)....................

• Like Like x 2
  22. RedTiger SA92

RedTiger SA92 Member

Thinking about multiplayer... people getting trolled by dispatchers who let them stay behind a red signal waiting for a ragecall ;).

23. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that a big fraction of the player base for TSW comes from consoles (last and current gen). Also I'm not sure why you are using reviews to justify your use of the game. If you prefer Simrail that's great, why do you need reviews to tell you to like the game? :D

• Like Like x 1
  24. jörgen Näslund

[QUOTE="cwf.green, post: 600039, member: 10886"Also I'm not sure why you are using reviews to justify your use of the game. If you prefer Simrail that's great, why do you need reviews to tell you to like the game? :D[/QUOTE]

It was one way (among others) to to answer the question he who started this topic. but I would not have given my own judgment there.
    Info but there were many who were disturbed by the information. when it doesn't match their world view

25. ARuscoe

About the same is true of "the brakes don't work" "the dispatcher doesnt work" "the anouncements don't work"
    Welcome to the internet...!

26. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Spot on I can see this being useful in yards like Cumberland SPG Cajon Pass Barstow