Single Line Routes In Demand???

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SD40Australia, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Who would like to see a few single track routes where you actually have to cross other trains? And no not the Arosa line...

Maybe a Midwest US line like BNSF or CP or CN.

Like between Rockford and Genoa?

I had done a route on Steam workshop known as the Genoa Freeport sub. ICE

It would be a new experience for train simmers to be able to manage their train and know where crossing places are and stop safely for 'meets'. Or as we say in Australia, to cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeport_Subdivision

It could run from downtown Chicago to Rockford. But if the distance is too much then from near Elgin to Rockford?

I know Matt play tested the route on his regular Twitch or youtube streams 5 or 6 years ago.

I know the Racetrack would have more demand than this because of the exposure it has.

• Like Like x 4
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The problem I see with single line routes is possibly the lack of gameplay/service count. Not saying every single line route is bad. Just that I prefer routes that have a more gameplay. I didn't like cane creek because of that, although it only sees like 1 or 2 trains a week in real life. However, if single line routes offer interesting gameplay, then it would be appealing.

3. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I think something like the Cumbrian Coast line which is a mixture of double and single track sections would be interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Something like the Highland Main Line in Scotland or the Cambrian/Cambrian Coast in Wales would be good for single line ops. Set back in BR days when there was still plenty of freight about for added traffic levels. I suspect one of the challenges of a long single track route is it will confuse the hell out of the AI signalling routine when out of course running occurs. We see this on West Somerset particularly loading a saved game when it goes skew whiff and locks everything up. Simple answer there. 1. Talk to the Run 8 people to learn how they managed to implement a dynamic and efficient auto dispatcher. 2. Again looking at Run 8, put in a meansfor the player to take over the signalling, with a Simsig style operating panel that can be called up as necessary, plus the ability to delete rogue or blocker trains.

As regards interest, the appeal of these types of route lies in the scenery and the chance to thrash noisy diesels across challenging terrain and gradients.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks OldVern you always provide intelligent input!

We have so many mountain routes and so many Amtrak routes etc.... time for a relaxing Midwest route.

At least I am being realistic.

Unless I have the money to develop one in Australia, the US is one of the more common locations that would be successful for DTG.

Not every railroad has a mountain in the USA you know.

• Like Like x 3
  6. OldVern

I have the old SIAM Traffic Control game between St Louis and Kansas City. Obviously the entire route is too long, but beyond (west of) Jefferson City you effectively have two single line routes - the Sedalia Sub (probably slightly busier) and the River Sub via Boonville. Either of those would provide an interesting route to operate over.

Then not quite in the mountains, also funnily enough a SIAM traffic control game, the BN Funnel between Spokane and Sandpoint, but set it in the early 90's before the extensive realignment and doubling. Constant procession of grain trains, vying for paths with hotshot intermodals and the infamous "Rattler" (actually RATL) the Hauser Yard to Atholl and Rathdrum local switching duty.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I'll wait for them to fix the Clinchfield service where this bugs out before trusting any new ones.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I would!
    And, I agree.
    Too many mountainous routes, and not enough single track.

US Midwest and/or (preferably) a Western Canadian Prairies operations would be a perfect new route concept that could easily do both single and dual/multiple mainline track runs. And throw in some branch line services and yard/industry switching scenarios and we would have a winner. Kind of a combination of Clinchfield & Cajon Pass set in the Central parts of North America. CN or CP would be perfect for this and have many existing locations that would easily fill this category. Particularly CP Rail through Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.... even though I am a life long CN fan ;)

Something like this could become a DLC add-on route for CN Oakville, or a completely new stand alone CP Rail route. The flat lands, rolling hills, and random valleys and contours would keep it interesting. Without the mountains or deserts that seem to permeate most North American TSW routes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Clinchfield is probably the prime example of why I wouldn't want to see a single line route for TSW, as the in game dispatcher cant handle trains properly for the route. Cant even put trains properly into siding, as each one acts like a double track main.

• Like Like x 3
  10. OldVern

As I said, extensive single line operations need to come with a player dispatcher/signal panel so we can intercede and even remove trains if necessary. In some of the SIAM games you can even instruct trains to back up, if you got something too ,long for the passing loop!

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Electrified commuter single track United States you are looking at NJ Transit Gladstone Branch Metro-North New Canaan branch & LIRR West Hempstead branch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DTG have been working on despatcher and train pathing improvements. Signs of things to come?

In Tokyo there are many railways (JR and private companies such as Odakyu, Narita Express?)where for example a Tokyo bound train would pass a local train (same direction) at a railway station. For this to occur in TSW it would require some robust despatching. :)
    That is double line though.

Now there are so many MAJOR lines (US almost all multi track where you get lots of passing) in TSW it is time to have a few primarily single track lines and hopefully not another mountain one.... rolls eyes....

On some (not sure in Illinois though?) you have to operate the points manually (to get on the loop or to get back on the main after passing a train), either totally by hand or pressing a button to operate a points motor that is solar powered.... Maybe some of you have good knowledge of this?

13. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think single line routes could be risky due to limited amount of scenarios and issues with signals. Like you could have to wait at a signal on a single track line for maybe 20+ minutes waiting for a train to come down due to there being no nearby passing loop or slow trains using the line which would be very annoying as I wouldn't want to be late due to waiting a very long while.

14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Typically freight runs don't have strict arrival and departure times (as are implemented on passenger runs) so not sure this would be an issue anyway

15. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

Though it would be annoying driving a passenger train and having to wait forever for a freight train which I was saying in the previous post.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Ah OK... that might well be annoying as the game doesn't compensate for that points wise

17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean some people want more realism, so now they can run Amtrak long distance trains like they are IRL, getting stuck in a siding and being late.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Hell yea! We need more CN and some CP in TSW3, right?

• Like Like x 2
  19. The way people are behaving in this forum towards a new DLC I think they would delight at the realism ROFL.....

20. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

The nibberbahn,IOW,cane creek,WSR.Arosa,ECW.Theres already several routes with single track area.

21. OldVern

A busy single track route would be great particularly if DTG can crack resuming chained services without losing objectives data. That way you can see delays accumulate across the day and no one shift would be the same. Truly dynamic and emergent gameplay.

• Like Like x 1