Slopes Limitation - Lgv Mediterranée Example

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Michael Blackbird, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Michael Blackbird

Michael Blackbird New Member

Hello,

I've checked the slopes at the north of Aix TGV station. It seems the designer didn't place the tracks in respect with the real profile. Between viaduct of Ventabren and above the Arc river, slope should be 35mm/m and I've seen only a poor 20mm/m maximum.

I've tested on a test line tracks with 35mm/m and I experienced weird behaviour above 175km/h while descending on the slope. The same slope taken in the other direction, so climbing could be at 280-300km/h without problem.

Is it why they didn't respect the real slopes or there's a problem with the simulator and/or with the track rules ?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It would be down to the person(s) making the route not having the full gradient information.
    There are routes in TS20xx with much steeper gradients

3. Michael Blackbird

Thanks.
    Full gradient information are available. Here for example :
    https://rail21.pagesperso-orange.fr/PLGVMED.pdf
    And anyway there are other source of information. Another example here, where you can easily know the profile using the tool "établir un profil altimétrique" : https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte

OK, steeper gradients, but not for 300km/h even above 160km/h. Or tell me where please? The problem occurs from 175km/h.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As you said the designer placed the tracks at the wrong gradient
    I doubt it will get changed
    Does it stop you running the trains?

5. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

Something to note - As far as I know it was done on purpose (said person did have the gradients) - due to Train Simulator 2021 not being able to cope with gradients too steep (London to Faversham does have 1 in 40 but is very juddery even with smoothing - I did that track - so I know about that 1 in 40 :) )

(also to note the above is what I've been told and it was a while ago (so might not be the exact quote)- so please don't shoot the messenger as it were ;) )

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Blackbird

Maybe I was not precise enough.
    I know DTG won't fix the tracks on this line... Even if it would be a good thing. I'm not dreaming.

I'm just saying, it seems there's a bug in TS that make impossible to have a speed above 175km/h if the slope is -35mm/m.
    Strange that's ok if it's climbing. And I'd like to have a confirmation it is a bug. And if it is, it could be possible to fix it.

Anyway, buying something far from reality is not enjoyable. And about vegetation is just another world on this line.