Solutions To Improve Future Modern Uk Routes In Tsw - A Comprehensive, Non-exhaustible List

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cloudyskies21, Jan 27, 2023.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

So, getting straight to the point. I think the current trend of recent modern UK routes from both DTG and third-parties, like Cross City and Edinburgh-Glasgow, respectively need serious improvement which, have to me, been disappointing due to several factors - and I think this trend needs to be changed. This is summed up with the huge hype of the latter for me until the preview, which I felt was a major let-down. Moreover, while the new Skyhook route/loco still a mystery - I really hope this will be a good route.

I appreciate not everyone will share such a view, people may very well like Cross City and Edinburgh-Glasgow and that's fine, but hear me out and make sure you provide feedback if you agree or disagree with me below in the discussion. Just to be clear, this thread is just focusing on feedback for future modern UK content in TSW and I'm certainly not saying there should be more modern routes instead of older-period routes - I'm actually more in favour now of an older route to see how good this could be timetable-wise if they can actually utilise more layers from the plethora of existing content (but that's for another discussion).

Route Choice at Concept Stage:
    Going forward, regarding future UK content, it's very difficult obviously for more timetable layers when there is a lack of suitable UK rolling stock in the first place for new routes, especially those in brand-new areas (thanks to the vast amount of TOCs in the UK alone compared with the likes of Germany), licencing, the time in creating more locos etc. But, there's got to be some way to avoid this repetition of having one-loco routes and duller timetables. With a suitable route choice at the concept stage i.e. choosing a route with perhaps more locos that can be used, such as combining locos created from new with the potential of using any trains that already exist from previous TSW content as playable/AI services etc.

A prime example of such can be used for the new ScotRail route. There's a couple of alternatives that I think would of been much better than the current iteration of the Edinburgh-Glasgow offering with just the 385 and its quieter timetable. Option 1: Would it have been better to have this iconic route still put in a modern era, but prior to electrification - thus equal more loco choice? Option 2: Could Rivet have chosen a more suitable alternate route in the first place which actually does have extra traffic opportunities. Or, even better, a new route and train that could have also featured Glasgow Central and the 314 too. Then, in turn, whatever train was chosen (say a 380, instead of the 385) for this hypothetical route, could have also given Cathcart a boost with more traffic/services too - it's a win-win. Thus, I'm confused to why this did not happen. Option 3: Create the Edinburgh-Glasgow route for TSW a lot later in the future when more potential rolling stock can be used.

IMG_20181001_113005.jpg
    The iconic HST already exists in TSW, this needs to be on more routes where applicable All images taken by myself

Other route selection criteria needs to make sure we don't have some of the UK's busiest stations (like New Street or Waverley) being mostly empty! Yes, I'm sure someone will point out that is because there's a lack of suitable content for more traffic on the route in the first place. But, surely this could have been avoided at the concept stage - make more routes with smaller stations first in new areas (branch lines, or quieter main lines) and gradually build-up your locos (see below). Only then once you have more of a wider selection of trains to use should actual large stations be included - sometimes it has felt previous TSW routes have such large stations for the sake of including just to include, empty or not! Routes with big stations deserve high-quality product to match i.e. more AI traffic, better timetables and long-term gameplay variety - basically, busy real-life routes should only be in TSW if they are busy routes in-game, otherwise don't bother.

Meanwhile, while this is not necessary for all new routes (as we need freshness with new areas), but why not use more locations already in TSW: St Pancras, Ashford Intl, Glasgow Central, and now the likes of Waverley or Queen Street. Brighton has been a great example, and certainly makes London Commuter even better with all that 313 AI traffic for instance.

Finally, when thinking about new route ideas at the concept stage, really think about how the inclusion of any extra branches (big or small) could have generated any extra gameplay? Think Reigate from London Commuter (or even the Ardingly freight-only branch which makes some of the new Class 66 services even better) the extra branch on Dresden Riesa etc.

It's such factors that both DTG and third-parties really need to consider when choosing a route going forward!

More UK Loco DLCs:

I think from all of my suggestions/solutions, this, I would say, might be the easiest way to initially populate both future and existing modern UK routes. The key is to have such rolling stock DLC which is ubiquitous across the country (namely DMUs like Sprinters, Turbostars etc). I hope this would avoid more one-loco routes where possible with empty stations and duller timetables, and offer a huge variety of gameplay.

IMG_20190516_082120.jpg
    This Class 158 Express Sprinter is seen here at Aberystwyth in West Wales
    156 PB.jpg
    A Class 156 Super Sprinter is seen here at Peterborough
    170.jpg
    A Class 170 Turbostar departs Peterborough

The other benefits of loco DLCs are they can be used across multiple routes - thus we can make use of existing content for a better timetable. This has already been proven with ECW and its 313, its use on London Commuter was genius thanks to the busy AI traffic at Brighton, and even better, with those epic Selhurst ECS services. On the subject of London Commuter, while there are those who aren't particularly keen on more Southern England-based third-rail routes, they do however show how great UK routes on TSW can be regarding the plethora of rolling stock (377, 387, 313, 166, 375, 465, 66).

Also, consider the Class 700 as a loco DLC for example, just this one train could be added to London Commuter and SEHS Extended, and have lots of inclusion elsewhere for popular AC routes like ECML South and MML South as prime examples.

Timetables:
    Firstly, non AI-generated timetables are a must. Secondly, each new UK route must take advantage of all possible layers from existing TSW content where applicable like the German routes achieve well. For example, the Edinburgh-Glasgow route lacked any rail tours (why?) and had a very limited RHTT service (why just one playable when SEHS Extended had plenty - it doesn't make any sense!).

More UK Route/Train Variety:
    Again, I'm going to reference German content because it does this very well. And that is a wide and frequent range of commuter, freight and high-speed routes with all the relevant trains. While I'm a fan of commuter services the most, if UK content is going to be improved - and to make this feel more immersive - then we need more of a cross-section of service types so that routes are more realistic and, in turn, busier in general: Why not have a dedicated UK modern freight route and loco for example?

Modern UK Routes CAN be Superb, Rush Hour WAS Evidence of this:
    It frustrates me with the recent selection of modern UK routes considering we've come from Rush Hour in the past - it's kind of ironic that this pinnacle, although not completely perfect, was from TSW 2! While London Commuter is by the far the busiest-ever route in TSW, it does show what other modern UK routes could be like too with all the aforementioned factors considered. Rush Hour-style timetables don't have to be for every route, but it certainty should be seen on more future routes where able. Yep, I'm going to refer to German content again, but the recent Bremen route in comparison is brilliant overall compared to recent UK content - if future UK routes in TSW could ever get to as nearly the same level as to what nearly every German route offers, then that would be something - obviously not a straightforward process but I think UK content really needs to try and be like this.

IMG_20211007_132528.jpg
    A busy afternoon at Victoria with a Class 387, 377 and a pair of 465s seen here

Final Thoughts:
    Apologies for such a long read, but as a passionate player of TSW for many years, I hope DTG and other third-parties view my suggestions/solutions above as not just criticism, but constructive feedback to what i think will highly improve future modern-based UK routes because, at the moment, I feel that they are not as good as they should/could be - and that is a real shame as modern routes are by far my favourite.

I'd also like the community to add any ideas of their own to this list, in the hope this gives DTG some insight and areas of improvement for new content in the future to seriously consider.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 48
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Excellent post and some great points that many will agree with I’m sure. I’d take another route that has the feel of London Commuter any day, wherever it is set, in whatever time period and with whatever trains come with it. That’s what DTG and third parties should be aiming for. Building towards busy routes or networks should be a major factor in the decision making process for UK routes to get as good as the German ones for content.

I would add that there could be a collaborative approach to this goal with all the third party creators getting involved now. Working together to build some truly brilliant routes. There is space for less busy routes too and certainly ones without big empty stations at each end would be preferable but it may be unavoidable that they will happen in the short term as many desirable routes have big stations on them. If those routes are building towards something bigger though then it will be worth it in the end.

• Like Like x 3
  3. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

Completely agree, cloudyskies21. Thank you for taking the time to construct this post. I hope it finds it's way to the necessary eyes/minds.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elric#1386

elric#1386 Well-Known Member

I'm in 100% agreement with cloudyskies21. This is a huge opportunity for DTG and the third parties to turn TSW into something very special. I would love to see TSW have more of the Simulator feel and look to it, that the feel of it being just a game with a bit of sim' thrown in. If DTG and the 3rd parties were to collaborate in future projects, this would be a big Big step towards making it happen.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

TSW needs to figure out what it is. Is it about the trains, the routes, the railway operations as a whole. Its confusing to see the German content have so much to it while we get Scotrail express which feels like some low hanging fruit Rivet picked being local and choosing one train only. Other posters have said stuff like 'it only needs the 385' but I think most would disagree, and even many who are happy with it would gladly see more trains running.

The MSTS version by making tracks was excellent in its time and the TSC version by Thompson also good. Why are we getting worse as platforms develop? I don't need chapter and verse that content takes longer for TSW I am fully aware. However it shouldn't mean the end product is akin to a railway on a strike day. That's before we get into bugs and no fixes getting done.

We all want this situation to improve.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Great post, couldn´t agree more!

And I´d add: Change your launch/ release policies to something more down to earth. Do the previews, say, 4 weeks before launch. That gives you a time window to iron out the wrinkles and squash the bugs. Based on the input from the community which seems more than willing to participate and contribute.
    Finally: Don´t create that nuclear hyper-giga-super hype about a DLC when you can´t exclude the possibility that it might end in a disaster on release day. The higher the expectations the longer is the downfall, and it will hurt more on impact.
    I can understand the frustration of a community that was made giddy as schoolboys to get their hands on the new route.

A good wine takes its time to mature!

• Like Like x 8
  7. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

yes, i’ve made a post about this, concerning future content, less busier mainlines or branch lines should be used, or even if they want to make use of the big mainlines (Glasgow for WCML, Edinburgh for ECML, Reading for GWML, Birmingham for XC and WCML and WMR) then they should make proper use of those stations, it begs the question why add a big station like that if it is only served by one train (e.g ScotRail Class 385s with EDB) or class 314 (Glasgow) it makes the stations feel quite reduced in function, that’s why i advocate for bigger stations being used more

• Like Like x 2
  8. danielemerson78

danielemerson78 Member

I totally agree with this post.The routes I play and enjoy the most are the German routes.They are the most intresting to drive entirely due to the amount of content and the way they are layered.Uk routes mostly stand alone routes with no possibility of layering.I agree they missed a trick when doing the Scottish route.Why not create a route for the 380 which would then layer with the 314.Same with the(brilliant in my opinion) Birmingham cross city line.How can any layering ever be meaningfully effective on that.The German routes flow and are always intresting to drive due to the sheer variation in traffic.The UK routes need to follow the German example and follow a theme so they can layer previous DLC together.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

In agreement with everything bar this:
    For me their next big development should be completely automated timetables, but that means adding in routing and buffer time and running the timetable generation algorithm so that it always leaves at least one minute after it should arrive at any given station stop.
    They could also make it that the passenger load cycle absolute requirement is minimal (with reduced AP) and up from there to a "good stop" being a full minute at full points, this gives the player leeway to catch up lost time as necessary
    Personally I see this as a step towards more flexible timetabling, random events etc. If the timetable can adjust on the fly it will mean a lot less issues when things like delays, allocation of assets etc creep in

10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Why auto generate it when there are real life timetables to copy?

• Like Like x 14
  11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I agree with the points in the opening post.

London commuter shows what can be done, for me it is the most immersive TSW UK route and I was hoping for more of the same. I suppose much of it does depends on licences but it would be good to see them start to use some of the routes now out as a basis for some of the future content.

I do wonder why loco DLC's seem to have become a thing of the past, it doesn't bode well for the future to be honest. I hope to see a class 700 among others in the future.

• Like Like x 6
  12. ARuscoe

BML has 4000 services on it.
    Make a link to the South London line you have to extend a thousand or so of them
    Add on West Coastway and you then add on a bunch of services turning right from London or Left from Brighton
    Add on CML and you might want to extend the AI Services out to Chatham etc etc

Do all that by hand, or have an automated process that looks at installed DLC and either does the timetable and portalling automatically?

13. cloudyskies21

I really like the sound of a collaborative approach - especially as you say if it would lead to some epic routes. If a suitable route was chosen which had a wider selection of rolling stock opportunities, I'd like to see DTG focus their main efforts on creating the actual route, while third-parties could focus on creating the trains and vice versa - this is only an example of such collaboration opportunities, but I feel this could certainly be more realistic considering deadlines (time) have to be met. Regardless, I think collaboration/communication between DTG and third-parties is vital going forward so that everyone's on the same page i.e. for example, choosing locos that can sub in to existing or future routes. On the subject of big stations, I do agree with you that large, empty stations may arise on some routes, but, I would too, be okay with this in the short-term but only the basis that it is actually going to be improved, whether with more loco DLC, extra services, or both. Regarding German content, even this back in the earlier days of TSW had empty, large stations like Hagen on RSN, and while it has never really been updated with more traffic since, when the station appeared again on RRO, it felt a lot busier.

Thanks very much, took me 2.5 hours to write! :D But I do hope DTG can take inspiration from some of the points suggested - at the end of the day we're all passionate about TSW, and community feedback is absolutely vital for improvement of the sim going forward.

Absolutely agree with you here, TSW could, and should, be very special - and collaboration is certainly the way forward. Yeah, I also agree to more of an actual simulator aspect, instead of gameplay-like features such as pianos, which have nothing to do with trains.

• Like Like x 4
  14. cloudyskies21

Indeed, the new Scottish route seemed an odd choice considering it doesn't take advantage of any previous content from Cathcart, apart from literally two 314 services - a missed opportunity! I completely agree with you regarding the 385 on Edinburgh-Glasgow, some said it would be unrealistic if you had anything else on it apart from the 385, but I would argue having large stations like Waverley with just one train is even more highly unrealistic (and thus makes the route more dull thanks to just one loco). I think this route would have been much better in the modern era but pre-electrification with plenty of DMUs, thus more trains as you say. As I mentioned in this thread, one-loco routes might have been acceptable in the earlier days of TSW, but considering we have already come from Rush Hour (LC), SEHS Extended, plus all the current German content as a comparison, modern UK, one-loco routes are therefore a major step backwards!

Many thanks! I agree, never understood why previews have now become almost as late as possible which gives them almost no time to sort any bugs etc - where's the logic? DTG should be using the passionate TSW community as much as possible regarding feedback, it may mean more work from them on their end, but if it results in a higher-quality product then a lot of players will be more satisfied overall.

• Like Like x 5
  15. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

We've been vociferously agreeing on this for quite a while cloudyskies21 .

I think one of the biggest keys is to prioritise implementing common or easily reused rail stock.

If I were DTG, I'd be prioritising developing routes or loco packs with the following:

Class 168/1, 170, 171 - all essentially the same stock with very minor modifications, used incredibly widely across the network, with the right livery could layer onto almost any existing route.

Class 153/5/6 Super Sprinters - onto most non-electrified routes north of London, even if only as terminus traffic

Class 700 - can already layer onto two existing routes and add significant value, would layer into several other potential routes

Class 800 series - bit more complex due to the bi-mode nature of some units, but once a bi-mode version had been developed, it would surely be easier to develop the solely diesel or electric variants

As well as reusable HST variants, including a Paxman Valenta engined version for layering onto BR Blue routes (it's been conspicuously missing from every BR Blue route so far despite the fact it would fit perfectly, even if just AI traffic, and carried some of the most iconic liveries ever seen).

And it's also worth thinking about the further development of steam:

Black 5
    9F
    WD 2-8-0
    Fowler 4F

In the Western Region, assuming we get there, it would be sensible to start off with the common locos that can layer on anywhere in the network - a Pannier tank and a Hall would be a far more helpful and diverse pairing in future route development than starting off with a King and Manor class.

I'd also be very open (and indeed supportive) of using diesel traction where appropriate on steam routes as well - variety is good and extends the playing time of a route immensely. I'd personally love to see a Riviera set in the early-mid 60s where I could be driving an express either at the helm of a Castle-class steam locomotive or a Class 52 Western hydraulic diesel depending on what spawns! It would also give those who are maybe not keen on driving steam for whatever reason a good reason to buy the route knowing they could use it to give a Western or Warship a proper thrash regardless (or vice versa for those who aren't interested in diesel).

• Like Like x 7
  16. pessitheghost

Agreed, they should take use especially of the 800s/HSTs since those are more of the standardised mainline trains in the uk

17. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

F.R.E.I.G.H.T

68, 88, 70, 90, 325 and one of the other billion class 66 variants other than EWS/DB!

• Like Like x 2
  18. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

It's difficult to pick a route where large termini are populated with stock already in-game. Either you leave out services or concentrate routes in specific regions only where existing layers can be used. Ideally the former and add back in new layers as future content is produced.

There are route/loco combinations that would be beneficial from a layering perspective if made in the right order, e.g. a Class 700 is a logical next step, with services for BML/SEHS, followed by an ECML South route with additional layers for such. That route could then include a Class 800 which could layer onto another future route like Edinburgh to Dundee or the Harrogate Loop. There's plenty of other layering combinations and I could write an entire shopping list of DLC ideas with potential overlap (so could most of us).

Lots of choice but there's only a finite amount of time to make what we want, so best to pick wisely.

• Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Basically, DTG should lay out a UK Development Strategy something like the planning of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

20. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

How HST isn't used more is beyond baffling. I'd say it is the best-modeled UK train in the game, the details are insane, it sounds good, and runs really well... THE OLDEST UK train in the game. By now this should've been in at least 5 different versions and part of many routes. It's basically a free filler if proper livery/interior was applied.

• Like Like x 8
  21. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

i have hopes that ATS create something along the lines of london commuter with the ecml south, considering their past experience building this route in TSC

• Like Like x 2
  22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For future long-distance AC 25kv 50 hz lines in the UK add appropriate freight locomotives and dual-mode locomotives. An example of this is class 88
    [​IMG]
    For this locomotive and future classes 93 & 99 Training centre must introduce the player on dual mode capablities.

• Like Like x 3
  23. pessitheghost

When adding in uk routes they should consider standardised mainline trains (800s, 700s, HSt, 91s, 390s ) to fill empty stations

• Like Like x 3
  24. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think the previews should be done about 4 weeks out so they can work with feedback they're given. Time and again there are simple things picked up by community that could be fixed before release.

I definitely think DTG should further link to devs to look at new locos to pad routes out. I was all for Glasgow after seeing the first articles, yet after seeing first stream I totally disengaged with the one train approach and other niggles in it

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I agree with OP, but would also like to ask a little more love for freight and railtours. Although they may not make a timetable notably busier, it'd add more variety to the route. Allowing us to use more of our trains adds value to both the routes and the locos in our collection.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

BML is definitely the ultimate route in TSW so far with the kind-blowing level of traffic. It just screams realism and since release has become more and more stable. Can it still be improved, of course. I’d still like to see Thameslink at some point.

There definitely needs to be more loco sets in the game, either by including more in each route DLC or by releasing individual loco packs with one, two or more trains in each.

It’s a catch 22 situation isn’t it. We all want more content and quicker, but we also want the quality to be increased. It’s clear DTG can’t currently do both, so I guess we just have to be a little more patient for the time being. I’d much prefer quality over quantity, but I am gagging for more content.

• Like Like x 8
  27. cloudyskies21

Indeed we have! I really do hope DTG can seriously consider thinking about some of the ideas from this whole thread - we're all passionate players of TSW, and most, judging by feedback from here alone, seem to be in agreement that improvements are needed to get modern UK content back to its best.

Some excellent suggestions and, as you describe, it's reasons like this which should absolutely be a priority going forward. On the subject of steam, I'd be supportive of having transition periods which feature diesels too - after all, it's no surprise that often the best TSW routes are those which have a varied, exciting timetable with a plethora of rolling stock and service-type.

Indeed, I'd be very happy with a modern freight route. Considering modern UK freight in TSW consists of just the 66 (and now the 66 RHTT too), it's kind of unbelievable there has been no further modern UK freight locos since - but, obviously not forgetting there is quite a bit of BR Blue rolling stock. However, when you compare to German content, all their freight locos - such as the BR 204, 363, G6, 155, 185, 187, then even consider other locos which can also pull freight like the 143 etc - can still be used on modern routes. I'd like to have seen some more modern UK routes - existing and future - to have freight pulled instead by some of the existing BR locos, even if not totally realistic, for more variety instead of just 66s.

Yeah, it's not a straightforward process, but if DTG can have a well-thought strategy of always considering how routes could be further improved upon, whether via more layers as you say and/or loco stock DLC. If routes are going to be in TSW, then they need to be part of a wider strategy, as opposed to random routes which would never be further developed.

Well said, couldn't agree more!

28. cloudyskies21

Agreed, this approach is most logical. While previews weeks in advance may give DTG a bit of a higher workload from player feedback, surely this has got to be worth it for at least two factors, namely a higher-quality product and increased player satisfaction overall.

Absolutely! Despite modern routes being my favourite, I've not played Cathcart since 2021. The route looks great, and I do very like the 314, but the emptiness of Glasgow and it being a one-loco route just ruins the immersion - it's the same for Cross City. Loco DLCs do seem the best option in the short-term to make such real-life routes feel a bit more realistic in TSW.

I think loco DLCs have to be the most easiest way of achieving such a balance of more content, but higher quality initially. Obviously, they won't take as much effort compared with creating a whole new route, but if they can have a few very high-quality locos that could also fill existing and newer routes' timetables, then it's a win-win.

• Like Like x 3
  29. cloudyskies21

I just wanted to say, I do really hope this topic of future modern UK routes, and a lot of the points mentioned here, can be discussed in the next roadmap stream.

Judging by the response and feedback from this thread alone, there seem to be a lot of agreement to what type of solutions can get modern UK content in TSW back to its best!

30. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Very good points, but unfortunately it all comes down to money. The business model of DTG is to create content at the fastest rate possible, using the smallest amount of time and generating higher profits each year, like every business in general. Ive seen that most of us have asked for WCML Birmingham-euston for many years, and if this doesnt come to tsw3/4 then i think personally weve been robbed as customers, as this has many loco opportunities and extension possibilities.

• Like Like x 1
  31. pessitheghost

An ECML south route alone provides a lot of locos that can be used again, and it can be set in any era from the 70s-2020s, Adding a route like that would be absolutely great for the game

• Like Like x 4
  32. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

literally, it seems so silly to not build this route as it would most likely be one of the most popular ones yet

• Like Like x 3
  33. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I'm still mystified why there hasn't been a second route with the HST. Probably the most iconic train in the UK, and in all of TSW, yet we can only drive it for about 20 odd miles from Reading into London. It can be used in so many different places. I think DTG have shot themselves in the foot. If, for example, they'd done a portion of the ECML before Edinburgh to Glasgow we could at least have had LNER HSTs in Edinburgh, which would have gone a long way to making that station less empty.

• Like Like x 4
  34. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Which is why I suggest a route such as Edinburgh to Dundee should be the next Scottish route. The HST can be reused (modified to the Scotrail configuration) and a new DMU such as the Class 170 could feature (both of which have large cab views for enjoying the scenery!). Ideally these would then layer back onto Edinburgh to Glasgow to make that route feel less desolate.

• Like Like x 5
  35. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I sat at Peterborough station for 25 mins yesterday. In that time I saw 4 azumas, a 66, a 91, a 60 I believe and the cross country. As a station it's so busy now and all under renovation. 938236E1-59C3-42F4-BF59-62FE64049B84.jpeg A36069EF-39EE-48A0-96D4-367EE81F96D0.jpeg 1330FC9D-2B02-40EB-8A48-521BE18660CC.jpeg D3E8C023-D358-4029-B1CE-1EB83798BA04.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  36. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Most popular non steam trains in the UK from my experience are the HST, Deltics, Class 37s, Class 40s, with everything else a more even split of popularity. 37s are a huge draw and quite why they don't get more featured is a mystery.

• Like Like x 1
  37. elric#1386

elric#1386 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a Deltic, It's just as Iconic as the Mallard and the Scotsman are

• Like Like x 3
  38. stevenwalker1985

stevenwalker1985 Well-Known Member

My favourite route is london commuter, because its so busy with trains, and with a proper timetable, with red signals, makes it so real and enjoyable. More of this would be ace. A 1 train route is boring unless there is layers that can be included to make it busier.

• Like Like x 3
  39. cloudyskies21

Indeed, with the exception of SEHS, more traditional high-speed UK routes are absolutely essential for TSW, especially with the HST - dedicated freight content is a must too! More variety equals more realism and potentially better timetables with more rolling stock types across multiple existing and future routes.

Some nice pictures there - my favourite thing about Peterborough is the freight traffic.

100% agreed with you on this! Nearly every service feels unique and is a joy, and everything from the 166 to the 313 too - and now thanks to the new freight services, the route is even better! I really hope the Class 700 comes, then the route would be absolutely perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  40. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Going to do a bit of controversial pie-in-the-sky-ing here (indulge me for a minute); I wonder how East Coastway sales are these days? If they're minimal (as it's been out for ages now and isn't exactly a flagship route), then if I were DTG I'd just straight-up merge it with BML upon the release of a potential Class 700 (as well as upgrading to the new lighting etc) and extend the BML timetable over to the 'new' ECW part of the route, including the through services Victoria - Eastbourne which are currently missing from ECW. Some of the freight runs would be even better too (what a run it would be to drive all the way from Newhaven aggregates terminal all the way up to Clapham Junction, especially with the number of junctions and potential red lights!). Just one version of the 377 to maintain too then.

The link between Lewes and Wivelsfield can't possibly be that much work (the junctions are already set up and there are two basic stations between the two, so certainly less work than the Dartford extension on SEHS) and I think it would inspire a lot of goodwill from the UK community as well as potentially tempting some of those into coming back to the route to buy the theoretical 700 (or even buy BML for the first time if they were put off by the bugs on release).

It looks like they're upgrading Boston for the Acela, so why not BML for the 700? It's not as if we haven't been asking for it forever...

• Like Like x 4
  41. cloudyskies21

Agree 100% with your post, even if it might be a very complex, time-consuming process - though I'd argue it would certainly be worth the time and effort for an excellent gameplay experience!

While I have always loved ECW, this is been the most frustrating aspect of the route; how these services were never included in the first place is baffling - and to further add to this point, scenario planner with this route is still pretty much ineffective with the same limited start/end points. So, I would welcome a merger between ECW and BML for these services alone!

It's 9 miles of countryside with just two very small, rural stations to be exact. I've always wondered how DTG are going to solve the issue with the Wivelsfield branch considering both routes already exist - thus it's a frustrating gap that needs including, otherwise it never will be sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  42. cloudyskies21

Well, it looks like the new Leicester-Derby and Nottingham route might be the first modern UK route in absolutely ages that I look forward too!

Highlights for me so far are:
    - Not a one-loco route (FINALLY!)
    - Uses a train (158) which is ubiquitous across the UK. In turn, this will allow more modern UK routes - existing and new - to potentially have extra traffic, and thus a better timetable than just a one-loco route.
    - Uses existing rolling stock: great to finally see the HST on another route again, more please!

• Like Like x 2
  43. ARuscoe

With regards to this, although we have a HST in the game, this is going to be a completely different HST as it has a different engine (so different physics) different cab, and likely different interiors to the carriages.

I am very much looking forward to a (hopefully decent) class 158 though

• Like Like x 1