Some Info And Content Creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jo3tr4ins, Dec 14, 2021.

1. jo3tr4ins

jo3tr4ins New Member

Hello everyone, I am new here and I am interested to know about this game little bit more. To give some context (and also to present myself), I am a Trains fan, always played at MSTS and then moved to Open Rails when MSTS became, well, obsolete. I enjoy Open Rails at the beginning as an excellent free Train sim, with a lot of hopes and interest, but then my passion for it slowly decreased since I have decided to abandon it. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the efforts put on this free sim, but years have passed, and the graphic of that game looks still old, stuck at the early 2000 era, and the route building is still tedious and time consuming. I have also tried Trainz, great graphic, but it looks to me more a toy train simulator instead a proper Train sim, without mentioning how poor optimized it is and terrible limitation such as not having the possibity to use Google Maps and Geo data for route building (and they are still calling it a simulator, right?), so here I am, on my "desperate" searching for a good Train sim.

So, after this TL;DR I want to ask some questions about TS2021/TS2022 or Railworks (what do you prefer), I have some basical skills in 3d modelling, I am using Blender and I have created some static 3D content for Open Rails in past, so I know how to build houses, stations, etc. but I want to know how hard is to create something for this simulator? Can you make a comparison between Trainz, Open Rails and TS2022 if is it possible? I heard that you need to know how to script a LUA, and I have zero idea of what a LUA is, can you enlight me little bit? Is something similar to what was called an .ENG or .WAG file for MSTS?

How difficult is to use the Route editor present in this game? It is also possible to create activities (I don't know how they are called here) to simulate some Trains/Services that I want to replicate? Or it does involve in crazy procedure like the sessions building in Trainz (I give up easely at that crazy system)?

For now those are my main questions, so I hope somebody can give me some good answers to valuate this game better.

Thanks a lot!

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't know about LUA but I think that is only used in something that is animated - I might be wrong

In TS22 the Activities are called Scenarios and it can be time consuming as you first path the Player Train and then add the AI Computer controlled trains that you see on your journey. These would be stationary on the route and depart at a set time so thy pass you or overtake the Player Train.

There is some documentation
    https://sites.google.com/a/railsimd...t-editor/cab-control-blueprints/input-mappers

And lots of videos showing you how to build a route and create scenarios
    This Video from Matt shows Google Maps Overlay

These video are a series showing different aspect of the Route and Scenario building

Peter