Some Thoughts On How Dtg Could Enhance Tsw Without Creating New Dlcs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ShodanCat, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

Right, so I understand DTG needs to keep creating DLC to make money, but I know that I personally struggle with buying any TSW DLC unless it's on a deep sale because there is so little value. There is absolutely no 'dynamic' nature to the gameplay, other than setting different weather and season for a service mode run. Once you run those, you've experienced all there is to see and do (OK, aside from the "jobs" which are laughably basic.) edit: Forgot I really should have mentioned I am thinking in terms of FREIGHT gameplay here, but some tweaks I mention below could serve for passenger jobs, too!

This issue extends to TS2020 as well, although at least we have the Steam Workshop for scenarios which add value to most DLCs (although some are so unpopular that only one or scenarios have been created.) In TSW we don't even have that.

The thing about TSW is that it has some really cool simulation features that the developers clearly spent a lot of time on (for example, the refuel mechanic is very cool, with the hose physics and all, or the turn table in HH) but they only get used once or twice in scenarios and never get touched again. Another example is the car loading/unloading feature some routes/car types have.

So I've been thinking about how DTG could build on the strong foundation they have made with relatively little effort (compared to created whole new routes and locos from scratch,) creating value for new and existing customers:

To start with, we know that the basic gameplay loop in train sims involves either point to point runs (with or without setouts) or switching jobs. So how to enhance these in a dynamic way? Create an "industry" system (yes it is similar to the idea in Run 8, but I thought of it long before that ;) ) where sidings can be assigned a car type(s) and max number that can fit, and on a daily basis they could be spawned randomly. A service can be assigned to a group of industries, and the player could choose a service similar to how it works now, but they would be assigned a dynamically created switch list. Car loading and unloading could be fit into this mode as well (for example, empty hoppers spawn in a yard, player takes them to be loaded, then to the requesting industry siding.)

For point to point runs, it's even more straight forward, just randomly create a train (based on real time tables if desired, but it could be 100% dynamic, too), its start and end points and a random chance for setouts. Really not to different from the above mode, but fun when someone just wants to do a simple A to B run.

The other details like refueling or turn tables can be inserted at random, i.e. a loco may have a 20% chance to spawn requiring fuel or 20% chance to spawn where it needs to be turned around with the turn table. They could also have an option to spawn with a cold and dark loco so we get to make use of the detailed start procedures, or a chance to spawn cold and dark, or always running (with a tick box the player can set if desired.)

These features could be built over time to not overwhelm the developers; start with basic A to B with random chance for setouts or pickups, then work on switchlists and the other details.

The value added to every single DLC would be HUUUGE. Adding near limitless gameplay to both routes and locos (as the locos can be fit into the appropriate routes and $20 is a lot easier to stomach when you know you have much more than a few scenarios and services to play.)

It could be extended with even more "stretch goal" type features, for example each industry could be leveled up (similarly to how you level up locos and routes already) with achievements for "ranking up" with those customers. (I know from a simulation standpoint some people don't like this stuff, but if DTG wanted to, they could.)

Anyway, just some stuff I've been wanting to get off my mind here on the official TSW forum. I seriously think even one of these features, in its most basic form, would be a greatly appreciated improvement by pretty much all players.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

Bump. Can this be moved to Suggestions by a mod? Thanks :)

3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Moved to suggestions at OP's request. But please see the forum rules regarding thread bumping.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.