Sorting Out The Midland Mainline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Dec 24, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I had purchased the following from JT:
    1 Midland Main Line: Sheffield-Derby
    2 Midland Main Line: Derby-Nottingham-Leicester Extension

I also notice that the following are available through Steam:
    3 Midland Main Line: Sheffield - Derby Route Add-On
    4 Midland Main Line: Leicester - Derby & Nottingham Route Add-On

So 3 and 4 are just the Steam versions of JT's 1 and 2. (There currently doesn't seem to be other JT MML offerings on DTG/Steam.) And this JT Derby-Nottingham-Leicester is for those who don't have JT's MML Sheffield Derby and if you do have it, then you install 2 above.

Are there any differences apart from maybe different numbers of scenarios, like with AP's Wherry Lines? (Notice that JT only allows installation on one PC, unlike Steam/DTG DLC.)

JT - it would be great if you followed Steam's example and mentioned that you own DLC when browsing!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I think the only differences with the routes on Steam is that they only use default stock available that is available there (no AP packs etc).
    The JT versions have extra scenarios using AP packs and reskins.
    I'm not sure if Steam allows merging so only the stand alone packs are there and the merges are sold directly through JT.

Also, I note you say that JT only allows installation on one PC, yet it says on the my account page it can be downloaded and installed multiple times (eg if changing PCs).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Also a note. The Steam routes cannot extend. So if you get the Sheffield to Derby on Steam, you will never go to Leicester. Or Lincoln. Or Erewash Valley. Or…

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Steam version of Midland Main Line: Leicester - Derby & Nottingham Route Add-On is a stand alone route.
    JT do two versions - the Extension adds this to Sheffield - Derby to make one route.
    Also JT have released Nottingham - Newark - Lincoln as both Stand Alone and as an Extension to Derby - Notts.

You have a go at JT for not giving you information
    On their page for the stand alone version
    https://www.justtrains.net/product/derby-nottingham-leicester
    It says
    THIS VERSION OF THE DERBY-NOTTINGHAM-LEICESTER ROUTE IS FOR TRAIN SIMULATOR USERS WHO DO NOT HAVE JUST TRAINS' MIDLAND MAIN LINE: SHEFFIELD-DERBY ROUTE INSTALLED.

IF YOU DO HAVE MIDLAND MAIN LINE INSTALLED, YOU NEED THIS VERSION OF DERBY-NOTTINGHAM-LEICESTER.

Not sure what else they should show?

5. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I mean in terms of indicating ‘you own this’, like Steam and AP (and no doubt others). Would hate to accidentally buy something twice in error (maybe JT will flag that up?).

Which I summarised in my original post :)

6. Cyclone

“If you own the version from Steam, do not buy the other version of this route. It will never work.”

Something like that I guess. LOL. Unless Danny merges the Steam releases they remain standalone.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Or you just buy the routes from Just Trains - I purchased the Sheffield - Derby route as it is on sale at JT.
    Scenic wise it goes Sheffield - Derby
    Route wise it goes Sheffield - Derby - Leicester.
    Derby - Nottingham - Newark - Lincoln
    Chesterfield - Toton - Nottingham

All fully signalled - when you buy the Extension it just places the assets in the correct places

8. Cyclone

Right, I already know that. The comment above my post talked about buying things multiple times by accident. A certain Concordia, for instance, in Germany, has a standalone DLC but is not bundled with the route it also comes with despite being THE EXACT SAME TRAIN. And those are both on Steam. My comment was suggesting a comment that the version you quoted would not work on the Steam version of the route. Please follow along.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

[1] I don't know what you already know - I apologise for giving some information about the Sheffield - Derby route and its extensions
    [2] the BR440 CORADIA is available as a stand alone and it comes with the Nurnberg - Regensburg route
    It tells you that in the information about the route.
    It is available on Steam and both versions are made by DTG

10. Cyclone

Absolutely right. I had the Nuremberg route from a TS2020 install (that was literally one of my first routes, on Humble, so I hadn't known at the time the Concordia was in it) and later bought the Concordia not knowing I already had the train. Fun times. Baffled that they didn't bundle the Concordia with the route.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Hopefully they are getting away from that idea - If you have to update the train you update the routes maincontent.ap file