Sos Journey Mode

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by samfjsmith, Jun 5, 2022.

1. samfjsmith

samfjsmith New Member

I'm sure we all play games in different ways and the way I've liked to play this game since release is by working my way through Journey Mode in order before working my way through timetables. With recent releases that has become more difficult but with SoS its seemingly impossible. I hope this latest one I've found will be something I'm doing wrong and not a bug...lets see

Any advice on how to get up a slight gradient when stopped? There's one service in Journey's mode in particular that I cant start for love nor money. Its the second one in chapter three, "Through Freight: Edge Hill - Nuneaton". I cant get the loco to move forwards no matter what I try, due to the incline. It rolls backwards, I can drive it backwards if I set the reverser as such but when I try to move forward I'm getting slip with the regulator even slightly applied (I've managed to get it as low as 3, it moves the same amount that it would I put it to something like 25 then just starts slipping). Its also raining on this journey, I've used the sander but its made no difference. Instinct told me to release the brakes straight after I've applied the regulator but this didnt work either. Its a relatively small incline too, I think its about 0.8%. One final thing I tried was letting it roll backwards to the end of the yard to a flat start but of course, when I did this, the wonderful derailment bug occurred. I then tried to play a few others in chapter 3 and, again, orange waggon bug followed by derailment bug.

I'm praying that this incline issue is not a bug because if you add to this the bug with the orange wagons (having to manually release the brakes each of them before you can move), the xbox jackhammer and of course, the possible derailment issue should I even get this moving its rendering this add on almost unplayable. Its beyond frustrating now and for the first time ever I'm strongly considering asking for a refund and moving on from this game I once loved. I've been patient with this game now for many years like we all have. I know for certain that this will be the final day one release I will be purchasing from DTG. Steam is hard enough as it is but with these bugs its just an extra challenge that simply shouldn't be present. I've wasted more time getting around these or doing the required research in the forums than I have playing the game this week and thats not a frustration/enjoyment balance I can justify for much longer. Please be something I'm doing wrong and not a bug this time, for the incline and hopefully the waggon brakes.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  2. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

With the orange wagons, I'm assuming that you've also got the white mineral wagons at the front of your consist. If you don't you shouldn't have to individually release the brakes on the orange wagons.
    (So far I've only had the orange five plank wagons on the edge Hill to Neuton runs).
    When I've done theses services it's taken a while for the vacuum brakes to fully release which holds the loco back. Waiting a few more moments all brakes should have released.
    Have you checked out the quick reference guide in the steam mega thread. You might find some useful information there.

Mega thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/spirit-of-steam-what-you-need-to-know-megathread.55036/

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  3. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is useful but this is how I start.
    Reverse all the way forward to 75%
    Cylinder drains open
    Fireman on automatic
    Small ejector fully open (all the way to the left)
    Combination brake applied (usually 50%)
    Move large ejector all the way to the right.
    Fully release combination brake.
    Apply 15% regulator and wait until I he train actually gets going. Usually just sit and wait no power applied.
    After waiting, apply 15% regulator, sand set to front. Jump up to around 20 then back down to 15 until I get going a bit more.
    Close large ejector when the vacuum gauge reads 21.0
    Close cylinder drains at 5 mph
    I don't increase the regulator above 40 and I aim to maintain speed and boiler pressure as a minimum, too much regulator and you get wheel slip.
    I find slow and steady is the best approach, as long as I make it over the gradient.

4. samfjsmith

samfjsmith New Member

Thanks for the response and the advice, I’ve had some time off from SoS because I’d frankly had enough and knew a patch was coming. That patch was of course released today but the issue with the orange wagons remains. I’ve just waited 5 mins for them to potentially release and nothing. Refund it is. Fed up doesn’t even cover it. Played TSW since day one and I’ve finally reached the end of my tether