South Lancs North Cheshire V5 Add On...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Aug 15, 2021.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Hi all...

I've just downloaded & installed the v5 version of SLNC from Wotawallys bits primarily because of the ability to drive between Liverpool & Crewe...

If I've installed it correctly i presume i can do a quick drive between Liverpool & Crewe???

I used utilities.exe to install the 4 rwp files (route, assets, updated assets & tail lamp) & are showing in the package manager...

When I tried a QD it won't let me pick Liverpool - Crewe... not sure if its pertinent but I haven't run any .bat files as I can't find them...

Am I doing something wrong???

Thanks for your time...

Eric

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There are no QD to or from Crewe at the moment
    The Author knows and a patch will be released at some point

There are two scenarios from Crewe to Lime St - one is a non-stop with an 87 the other is a local with a 303

• Like Like x 1
  3. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

are they "Standard" scenarios???

Eric

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    I don't think there are any Career Scenarios on the route - have a look in TS Tools

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

There is indeed a couple of scenarios from Crewe to Lime St, and they're pretty good... and as I found out the first time I ran it... it has working neutral sections too LOL.

I wish AP or someone would do a decent 87 to the same standard as the AP class 86.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There is one being made by Waggonz but I think the Covid problems have slowed them down
    A WIP shot of the cab off Facebook
    Waggonz 87 cab.jpg

7. Pookeyhead

Yeah I'm eagerly awaiting that. Seems to have gone very quiet for a very long time though. As you said.. maybe Covid etc.

8. ntypeman

One for Peter (749)...

On a non-stop run from Crewe to Lime St in an 87, as you approach Edge Hill there's a theatre signal that displays a single yellow (the signal after that is green) but the theatre indicator displays a "W"...

Can you please tell me what the "W" stands for???

Cheers

Eric

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think that signal is a mistake

If you look on the Open Train Times diagram the signal is missing
    https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/limestreet

I think it was put in so as to give an indication to Wapping Sdgs on the left at Edge Hill
    But it should show F towards Lime St

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  10. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

I thought you'd know having driven in & out of Lime St... Wouldn't have thought you visited platforms 6-9 regularly, but more platforms 1-5...

Is there a way to "fix" the theatre indicator at all???

Eric

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  11. Pookeyhead

Isn't this set in the 80s though?

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Although I illustrated the current view there has never been a signal at that location.
    The two signals on the DF, EH 43,and DS, EH45, gave the indication to go in to Wapping Sdgs
    I was at Manchester Piccadilly as a Driver and Guard and only drove over the CLC via Warrington Central and via Allerton.
    We normally went in to 5-9 and occasionally went in to 1-4
    108 Lime ST.jpg

Fixing the Signal
    I would not remove it or you will also have to change the previous signals
    Make a Backup of the Route - go in the Content/Routes find the route and make a backup of the tracks.bin file
    Go in to the Editor (Build) and to the route then Edit
    Find Edge Hill using the 2D map
    Screenshot (47).png
    you might be underground so Ctrl+Shift+Home gets you to track level

the find the signal and Double Click on the post so the Flyout appears
    Screenshot (46).png For some reason a route is given in to P3 even though you cannot do that
    I changed the W for F and a few of the others

When you are done press the Yellow Play Arrow
    On my system it took over 5 mins to save - just ignore it until it is finished

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  13. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I just downloaded this route last week, and it certainly is a ‘magnum opus’, as it were, covering a fair amount of routes.

I downloaded mine from Backdated train sim. The instructions could be a little less confusing perhaps: it says if you haven’t yet installed it, you install the v4 files and then only need to install the v5 route files, but it still lists half a dozen or so asset and other files under v5!

I installed everything just in case, v5 the day after v4. I noticed some missing textures on a line section while on one of the snowy Class 101 scenarios, which was rectified after installing v5, and now just a very few rare issues left (missing textures on a bridge), and ‘anomalies’ at Wigan, with missing platforms etc.

But apart from that, an excellent route set in my preferred period, and amazing work for people doing it as a labour of love rather than commercially.

A wide range of scenarios too, that will keep you busy for a while. I just found I am missing a lot of wagons needed for many of the freight ones. There was reference to ‘UK Wagon Pack 1’ by Michael Whitely which I assumed was on UKTrainSim, but turned out it was on Steam, and I was able to pick it up for about £2.99 in the sale. However once I added it, it still hasn’t appeared in the siding where they are to be collected (guess that’s a TS issue, not the route).

But a great route, and well recommended!

14. ac_freeman

ac_freeman Member

Hi - just joined this Forum today, nice to see a thread for South Lancs :) Glad that people seem to be enjoying it - just to explain the slightly convoluted installation path for anybody new to the route, when Nick and I first started the route we used several third party assets which we were given permission from the creators to bundle with the route, so if you do not install all versions sequentially you will be missing a bunch of assets - once you have gone through this pain all subsequent and future updates should be much more straightforward.

Andy

• Like Like x 5
  15. inversnecky

Thanks, Andy, I tried to do it sequentially - what was were maybe not always obvious - but all seems to work well, apart from some anomalies at Wigan (missing platforms).

It’s great to see such an expansive route set in what anyone of sound mind must admit was the best period, BR Blue :)

So many scenarios too: I still need to source many wagons, but at least I’m safe with the Class 101s.

Round of applause to those who brought it to fruition.

16. ac_freeman

ac_freeman Member

Thanks, really pleased that you like it - the “missing” platforms are probably caused by the complexity and density of the scenery that I have included at Wigan….this can sometimes cause slow loading of assets such as platforms for some people. On the scenarios that I created to go with the route I added signal checks just outside Wigan to allow the platforms to load just out of sight

17. inversnecky

Not to worry, once I realised it was just missing assets, that was fine.

18. ntypeman

Hi Andy...

nice of you to join us!!! Thanks for all your hard work...

Can I ask, do you have any other plans for anything similar or any more updates to SLNC???

Eric

19. ac_freeman

ac_freeman Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks - good to be here. Yes, when Nick passed away a couple of years ago he had already completed a lot of additional track so I decided that I would complete the scenery for the sections on which Nick had already laid track - I am currently working on the "Atherton Line" section between Manchester Victoria and Wigan, Nick had roughly completed the track and fortunately Steve has jumped in to help with the track side of things and has done a great job in tidying up what Nick had started. I have a thread running on a side Forum ( which I admin ) - https://railworks.freeforums.net/thread/6/south-lancs-north-cheshire-blue?page=25 where I post periodic updates but I will start a thread on this Forum at some point too, I have only just discovered how active a Forum this is. I also have a Flickr site ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/143036581@N05/sets/72157718139143613/ ) where I post larger numbers of screeshots from time to time.

Longer term Steve and I are toying with the idea of regressing Manchester Victoria to Leeds to BR Blue era, but this reallly is longer term as there is still a lot to do to complete the Atherton Line, we are also not sure if we will be able to connect the Leeds route to South Lancs or if it will need to be stand-alone.

Andy

• Like Like x 2
  20. Pookeyhead

That would be epic!

• Like Like x 1
  21. moyni

moyni New Member

I love this route, however, for me Crewe station is missing as is most of the track from Crewe to about Hartford.

I think this might be because I have the updated North Wales route and not the Virgin one, does anyone else have this issue, and do they know if there is a way I can fix it?

Thanks,

22. ac_freeman

ac_freeman Member

Hi - Thanks, yes unfortunately the route is not currently compatible with the newer North Wales Coast Route - we have tried to make it compatible but this caused random issues elsewhere. The plan is to complete the current Phase between Manchester Victoria and Wigan, via the Atherton Line, and then have another go at making the route compatible with both North Wales Coast versions. The good news is that only this small area ( around Crewe ) is affected by this - I know, of course, that this impacts anybody who wants to run through Crewe so I really hope that we can figure it out, it is a much bigger task than you might imagine to sort out the compatibility.

Andy

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. moyni

moyni New Member

No worries, I can imagine how much work it is, and I appreciate what you have already done with the route.

Keep me in the loop, always happy to help with any testing.

24. ac_freeman

ac_freeman Member

Thanks - yes, we will need some testers when the time comes.

Andy

25. ac_freeman

ac_freeman Member

I forgot to mention, in case you have not seen it I have a thread in the Content Creation section ( https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/south-lancashire-and-north-cheshire-br-blue.64754/ ) where I add ocasional updates on progress, there is also a link to the Flickr site with screenshots from the Editor. Updates don't happen that often as progress in the built up areas can be slow....but at least it shows that the route is still alive...lol.

• Like Like x 1