South West Main Line: Mid 80s,

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by finntd#7891, Sep 15, 2022.

1. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

oh hey whats up, its me Finn Again back to give a suggestion for an 80s southern route this time in a fruitless attempt to get Slamdoor stock into the game, this one being the,
    South West Mainline: Mid 80s,

Route Overview:
    South_Western_Main_Line.png

the South West Main Line is a 142 Miles Line between London Waterloo - Weymouth, passing other places like Basingstoke, Southampton, and Bournemouth,
    Electrification took place in the 60s, but it ending at Bournemouth and did not extend to Weymouth, which lead to a Unique Push Pull services, which was taken over from standard Electric services at Bournemouth, more on that in the next section, the Portion between Bournemouth and Weymouth was later electrified by 1988,

Services:
    I Mentioned previously about the Unique Push Pull services, a Class 432 4-REP would take a set or two of Class 438 4-TCs to Bournemouth Driving from the 4-TCs on the Bournemouth End, from there a Class 33/1, would take the 4-TCs to Weymouth, and then drive the from the 4-TCs cab back were the 4-REPs would take them back over the Electrified lines, these Push pull services werent just seen on the SWML, according to Wikipedia these have been seen at Bristol Temple Meads and Cardiff,
    I Couldnt find anything else on Passenger or Freight please let me know if you know anything, I Can always add more info to this,

Locos and EMUs:
    BR Class 33/1:
    The Class 33 is a Loco we have seen before, the 33/1 is one we havent, the 33/1 differs from the Standard 33s in the Addition of Additional equipment allowing them Compatibility with Southern Region Multiple Units, they were Prominently used on Push Pull services with Class 438 4-TCs around this time,
    even in Preservation every once in a while you can see a 33/1 do what they do best with a Southern Multiple Unit,
    BR Class 33 1.jpg

BR Class 432 4-REP:
    The 4-REPs are 4 car EMUs constructed by York Works, they were More Unique compared to its Contemporaries like the 4-CIG or 4-VEP, They Had Driving Motors, rather then a Motorized Middle Carriage, the Middle Trailers were Converted from MK1s rather then being New Builds, the Cab Ends were new Builds However, and had 2200 more HP, Oh Yea have I mentioned these things are Monsters of EMUs? these Boast 2 Motorized units Ends per set with 4 400 HP Traction Motors on each Motored Vehicle, thats 3200 HP just 100 off from a Deltic, compared to a 4-CIG which has just 1 motorized coach with 250 HP Motors, thats only 1000 HP, thats because these were Meant to Haul Class 438s to Bournemouth, sometimes 2 sets of them, that 8 cars worth of what is Essentially special coaching stock to haul, also these have Buffet Coaches,
    BR Class 430.jpg

BR Class 438 4-TC:
    The 4-TCs were Unpowered Multiple Units built for Trains over the Unelectrified portion of the SWML Between Bournemouth and Weymouth, the Class 33/1s were Purpose Modified just for these and is able to act as what is Basically a Cab Car, think of Peninsula Corridor, where the Trains are a bunch of coaches with a cab car on the end where it can control the loco on the other end, thats about it Simple yet Unique in its own Ways, and also, one 4-TC set is in use on the London Underground in use every once in a while with older Preserved London underground Locos on the Metropolitan Line and is dressed up in a Wood Like Paint, very snazzy,
    BR Class 438 2.jpg

Layers:
    In:
    not many opportunities off the top of my head, but, if another route with Similar Slamdoor stock would to ever come stuff from there can Layer to here, possible on new services,
    out:
    the Class 33/1 can layer out to WSR, maybe with a new Service involving the new Slamdoor Stock,
    again if another route with Slamdoor stock were to come, the 33/1 can layer out but the Class 432/438 might not layer out so well, the 438 would literally not work so well without the 33/1, the 432 has a better possibility of layering out due to it actually be able to move on its own,

I Only chose this route cause i thought the whole push pull thing was cool, need more info i couldnt find, hey thats the fun of the suggestion forums, someone makes a suggestion and other people can bounce there ideas off it, if you got more info or ideas for this 80s route, just leave them in the comments,

--BONUS PICTURE--
    Found this picture of a 4-VEP Next to a warship.
    Cool image.jpg

well im done here for now see yall.

• Like Like x 6
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Nice choice and era.

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent choice and for the 438 layer out to Metropolitan Line if it comes with Sarah Siddons locomotive and Metropolitan Railway Coaches. Another locomotive That can go here is class 73 because it has SR Mu system electric mode 4 TC 4 REP 33/1 but turn on Diesel mode Blue Star MU couple to TVL WCL 37/5 NTP Classes 40 & 45 TVL Class 20. All trains can also run on BML

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022