PlayStation Speed Limit Warnings - Trans-pennine

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Northlander, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Just a quick question, what should I look for with regard to speed decrease warnings on the Trans-Pennine route? Without AWS am I looking for some sort of actual sign or is this purely a route knowledge thing? Obviously we see actual speed limit signs, but like all train driving, by the time you see them, you're going too fast to correct in time.

Regards

2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Its mostly about route knowledge. Drivers need to know the route in and out before they drive them

3. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Cheers, I did think it must have basically come down to drivers knowing the location of the actual speed limit post on the route, then depending upon what loco they were driving and it's braking ability from speed, they would then work back from that point as to where and when to apply braking.

It just proves why AWS and more signalling came into the network over time to improve safety, even if some drivers during this transition probably felt like they were having their ability in driving took away from them, and any 'Tom, LOVE or Harry' could drive a train with little route knowledge as the signals and in-cab warnings would keep them right.

I guess for now I'll leave the Speed Change distance HUD panel enabled until I start picking up my braking markers, as I run with a minimal HUD anyway, and always use what I'm seeing out of the cab (along with the safety systems where appropriate) and only check that info as a backup if I'm not seeing the info in the sim as you drive.

4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Route knowledge, so far Ive gathered 15mph out of Victoria, 40 upto Miles platting, 20 through the junction. Back to 50/60, 15 entering and leaving Stalybridge. Back to 50/60 Down to 15 into Huddersfield. After Huddersfield speed goes up and down quickly due to joining and branching off from faster lines where you will see amber signals but no red. 45 going into Ravensthorpe. Then 50/60 and a reduction to 20-15 then 10 going into Leeds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Now I just need a quick tutorial on the Semaphore signalling as there's surprisingly nothing in the downloadable manual

6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Wouldnt worry too much. Ive only been stopped outside of Leeds or Manchester Victoria. Light signals not semaphores.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

sometimes random speed limits will pop with out any indication NEC has a random 55 MPH limit that pops up out of nowhere on hell gate bridge