Spirit Of Steam - Reversing Up An Incline

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Zomb8, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Zomb8

Zomb8 New Member

Hey folks
    I'm stuck on the scenario - Branch Freight; clock face colliery - Speke Jnc.
    Towards the end of the mission you have to stop at a location on a 1.0% downwards gradient, then reverse the goods train into the yard up that gradient. Thing is the weight of the train just pushes me forwards towards the signal at danger. As soon as the brakes are released I'm gathering forward pace as a runaway train despite trying to reverse which just causes wheelspin.

I've got to thinking because I had to manually pull the vacuum release on the plank sided mineral wagons if something has glitched?

Any help would be much appreciated with this one, I don't know what I'm doing wrong; I feel like I've tried everything in the instructional video.

2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

i'll hav to go try that one - but my strategy would be to fill up the steam chest with pressure, sanders on (if necessary), release the vacuum brakes and pull off the steam brake manually - that way you're immediately pushing the wagons as their brakes start coming off.

May need to open the cylinder cocks, ramp up the regulator and use that to keep the steam chest pressure close to the max.

Something like that anyway. I'll have to give it a shot :)

3. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

Just run this scenario and found the same as OP. Tried it with front sand and rear sand. Can't seem to get any traction up the hill, just wheelslip. Once the train starts rolling down, it's extremely difficult to stop because the wheels slide. Requires brakes off, sand, then very gradual brake application. Once stopped (hopefully before reaching the red signal), I can't get the loco's wheels to grip at all in order to start climbing the hill. The issue is lack of grip, not lack of power. It is a good test of loco control.

I am really enjoying the challenges in Spirit of Steam. I think DTG has done a superb job!

4. goonlgc#1925

goonlgc#1925 New Member

hi everyone. I’ve tried this MANY times and all combinations of reverser regulator brakes etc. I just can’t stop the whole train slipping down hill Matt has anyone from Dovetail tried this. I’m running in PS5 btw

5. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

This one was tricky and very hard but possible to do.
    It was a real challenge with 2-3% brake, sand, cylinder cocks open, very little regulator and a lot of patience.