Spirit Of Steam: Through Freight Edge Hill - Basford Hall 15:00 Impossible To Complete

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by lordbean, Jan 12, 2023.

1. lordbean

lordbean Member

I am at the point in the journey where my train is between two red signals and the next step should be to reverse into the correct siding, but contacting the signaller is returning the message "Denied. Your train appears to be off path." To be clear, this is immediately after stopping on a job waypoint.

2. ollyweston350

ollyweston350 Active Member

Having completed all of spirit of steam, its not impossible just very very tricky. I seem to remember this scenario because the same thing happened to me, and if I remember rightly it's because guard brake van is over hanging the junction at the back if you stop in time for the red signal. Don't hold me to this, but I seem to remember I completed it by driving up to the red light as close as possible, I.e 1 yard to go and then contacting the signaller. This allowed the junction at the back to switch thus allowing me to reverse back into the siding.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

I have SoS issues like that. That route is in a sorry state as it stands.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/spirit-of-steam-service-broken.63242/

4. lordbean

lordbean Member

Hmm... I'm willing to give it another go and see if this is the case. The mission didn't fail due to an AI passing a red (like so many other Spirit of Steam missions currently seem to do - I wonder if they forgot to tell the AI drivers about the new physics for the engines?) so if it's just a fine positioning issue maybe I can get it to work.

Edit: I must have gotten lucky yesterday. This time round, I passed a local service stopped in a station (I believe Mossley Hill? The one right after the big bridge on the longish climb), and then an express service stopped one block behind it, and then right around as the back of my train was clearing the back of the express service it just tossed up "Service Failure" and that was that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This still seems to be an issue with the early morning (just after midnight) freight from Edge Hill to Basford Hall. I'm as close as I can get to the ground signal by the loco but still get the off path error when I put the cutoff into reverse and the rear ground signal doesn't clear. Just wasted 80 minutes of careful driving sticking to the 35 MPH Class H speed, too.

Edit:
    Well I managed to get it done thanks to a hint in another thread about the same problem. Essentially you have to approach the "Go Via" marker dead slow (1 MPH in my case) and whack the brakes in fully as soon as it triggers. This should leave the back of the train out behind the ground signal in rear so you can commence the reversing move. If the back of your train is in clear of the ground signal it will not clear and you get the off path message.

However these are still flawed scenarios - in the real world you would not be doing such a tight manoeuvre and the game should not refuse to clear the ground signal if the rear of your train does end up inside it. Really needs a rework to change the parameters.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. lordbean

lordbean Member

They are still yet to deliver a patch to fix the other broken things with Spirit of Steam as well - I've been trying the Preston - London Euston service every time I see the game get updated on steam and I'm still getting spurious SPAD fails.

7. elric#1386

elric#1386 Well-Known Member

I'm sick of DTG's attitude towards it's customers. Constant excuses just on on the chance we give up complaining, Small fixes to make it look like they care! Minor little once in a blue moon patches isn't good enough. It's time DTG put our money to good use and start by listening to us. Their so called sunken flagship SoS is verging on being a total disaster! Instead of releasing minor bug fixes they should strip it back to the main core and rewrite it. How they have the nerve to keep adding it to new packages so unwitting new customers purchase it, then discover how bad it is, is beyond belief. If they was to fix their fast growing backlog of bugs then they will make more money, as more potential customers will start hearing via word of mouth and great reports from places like YT or forums.
    As it stands, the push out new routes, forget the issues, and take the money and run attitude stinks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

With respect, this is the sort of thread which belongs on the Technical Issues forum

9. lordbean

lordbean Member

It used to be in the TSW3 launch feedback forum. They moved it here when they merged all the content into the existing forums.