Srtm / Gdem Terrain Import Tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SwampBottom, Oct 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SwampBottom

SwampBottom New Member

Denver &Rio Grande Western, Tennessee Pass

I found a beta route a few years back that is a good chunk of the Tennessee Pass / Royal Gorge route for the D&RGW. It required allot of 3rd party freeware and payware stuff, but the guy had put in allot of time and effort for a decent route build. I've worked on the route some to upgrade it and remove the 3rd party stuff. But being its an 8 year old route, Im running into allot of what I would call compatibility issues and errors. So I've decided to make my own route going from Pueblo to Grand Junction along the now mostly abandoned Tennessee Pass. So I'm looking for some accurate information and help on using the Terrain Import tool. You can import SRTM and GDEM terrain mapping files for highly accurate terrain features. I have the files but they are not importing properly. Has anyone used this feature successfully? Which map data is best, SRTM v1, SRTM v2, or GDEM? Im willing to put the time in to make this route happen, but if I have to model all this terrain from scratch, Forget About it

2. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

I use 3" arc SRTM heightmaps from Viewfinder Panoramas - http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html I haven't done any serious route building for a while, but if you just download files from there and stick them into the folder path DEM\SRTM in your RailWorks directory (you might need to create those paths) then if you've chosen the right start coordinated you're good to go.

3. SwampBottom

SwampBottom New Member

Just tried the files from the site you posted. Still not working. I don't know if I'm missing a step or something else.

4. bob.fuller

bob.fuller New Member

I'm having the same problem in TS19. I have inserted the .hgt file in Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Railworks/DEM (have to create it) /SRTM (have to create it). I created a new route with the GPS coordinates (south coast of UK). Within the route I selected PAINT/IMPORT. In this window I ensured that the source folder is set to DEM\SRTM. I selected 5x5 tiles. Made sure Format was set to SRTM. Then clicked import. But there was no visible difference in the terrain. It remained flat even though I was located in a hilly region.

Am I doing something wrong?

5. bob.fuller

bob.fuller New Member

I just found a fix. In the PAINT/IMPORT window, delete the DEM\SRTM in the source field, and type it back in again DEM\SRTM. That fixed it for me. Don't know why.

6. timred

timred New Member

the PAINT/IMPORT window I cant seem to find it when im within the route is there a step by step for this somewhere?...thanks