Starting To Feel Discouraged: A Long Post Apparently

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by universal.chris, Oct 10, 2021.

1. universal.chris

universal.chris Active Member

When I was a kid I liked trains. I don't know that I loved them, but I liked them. When I rode the subway I liked sitting in the very front of the train looking out the window and watching the track and signals. I would get excited when we had to wait for a freight train at a crossing. I had a small model railway I got to put up only around Christmas every year.
    When MSTS came out I bought it and loved playing it.

I forgot about my like of trains until I came across a YouTube video of Colonel Failure playing TSW, and looked it up and saw that it was for PS4, I bought it and put hours and hours into it. Felt like a kid again.

I think I'd call myself a casual player in that I play for a couple hours most evenings, and am around level 250 but I didn't notice the catenary was wrong for Boston, and didn't notice when it was fixed. I really like a few of the German trains but can never keep the names of them straight, I know which one I like most when I see it but I couldn't tell you if it's the 186,143 or something else. It is red though.

But I like driving the trains. I purchased all routes except for Hamburg and Cane Creek.

I like Marathon-ing the Journey mode for each route before moving on either when finished or bored.

When Boston-Providence came out I played a bit of the journey until I realized there was something wrong with the safety systems. So I figured I'd go back to it when it was fixed. So I went back to Arosalinie only to see that the train rocketing forward from a stop hasn't been fixed, so I figured I'd go back to it when I can feel the immersion again.

I went down my list to Peninsular Corridor, and played a couple of services but I saw somewhere that there's an upgrade coming so I switched to MSB.
    Playing MSB really made me want to try Dresden despite reports of crashes, but it seemed like the issue was only happening for people who had the 101, which I didn't. It crashed near the end of the route on something like my third service.

Back to MSB, the preserved collection is stable, right? In the same minute my PS4 notified me that BML had finished downloaded, MSB crashed. I'm not sure if the two things are related.

BML was fantastic! So many trains! Sure, a bit laggy around Victoria but who cares! This is an achievement for DTG! I got stuck at a red light, it was then I realized I was playing the service everybody was talking about. No problem, it'll get fixed. I skipped it.

Three more services in last night, BML crashed about 3 km from Victoria.

I'm hugely supportive of DTG, things happen and this was a difficult upgrade for them and I'm sure they will get it sorted out.
    I'm not like that other guy I see on here rage posting a new thread every day, I like to think I'm reasonable and patient.

But I think I'm going to take a break for a bit, if I can and don't try to go back to some of the other preserved collection.

I do want to play it, I just went to try again and couldn't bring myself to start the game out of fear I would put an hour into a service only to lose the progress.

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. torben.meyer1995

torben.meyer1995 New Member

The problem is things seem to happen too much these days. It seems that every release recently is just full of bugs. I am very worried about their priorities because if they have every new release full of bugs, god knows whenever they will find a solution for older bugs.

• Like Like x 3
  3. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

They really need to clean up their act. Now that I've been trough some of their older routes it is noticeable nothing get's polished to perfection. I bought the routes with the most positive reviews and still I find very noticeable problems that clearly never got fixed.

It's a shame because a collection of routes like this is impressive if you knew all of them would work perfectly at one point in time but that is clearly not the case.

I think it's time to get "the higher ups" at DTG aware of the fact that there is also money to be found on consoles in title's with the label "remastered" sticked on to them.

• Like Like x 5
  4. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Amen to this, it’s exactly how I feel. Loved it before, still love it but it’s getting frustrating and making me want to look elsewhere for my kicks. These issues are precisely why I gave up n PC games

• Like Like x 2
  5. kmg#2367

kmg#2367 Member

I have to agree with this, particularly the last part.

I play this game to unwind/escape/relax but it is just too stressful to play, particularly the rush hour routes, as I find myself expecting a crash or a bug to mean I can't complete a service or scenario. Think I'll go away from the game for a bit and see if things get fixed.

• Like Like x 4
  6. universal.chris

It has brought me a lot of joy, I have rediscover my childhood interest in trains because of this game. And I'm not giving up forever. I will be back. I do have faith that things will get sorted out.

But I do need to walk away for awhile, maybe weeks or a couple months so I can come back knowing I'm going to find the joy in it again.

7. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

Right now, I'd be fine with a release-stop for new DLC's, because I have so many other new games to play (and much more older games to return to), so if there is a time, where Dovetail would be fine, without bringing out new stuff, it would be now, as far as I'm concerned. Take a breath, sit down and fix the the hell out of these bugs :D

• Like Like x 6
  8. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

This is an excellent post (and conversation) thank you for taking the time to spell out how you feel about the game. We're trying to evolve the game into being more immersive than ever and simultaneously support more platforms than ever. This level of ambition hasn't come without problems, and we're working to iron out those issues as quickly as possible.

Suffice to say that where we are right now is not where we want to be, this is not the experience we want you to have.

• Like Like x 7
  9. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that even though the problems with the first two RHs are known and have been known for some time . Those problems still persist and there is no sign that they will be sorted anytime soon

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

This summarizes it quite well. Problems have piled up on too many routes, and fixes and improvements here and there always seem to break something else.

• Like Like x 6
  11. universal.chris

Thanks Sam. I really do appreciate how much DTG has put into the game.
    I can appreciate how frustrating it must also be for you folks to be putting months and months of work into things like the core update and the new routes, only to hit a few speed bumps at the very last minute and suddenly have a bunch of fires you have to put out.

I am a loyal fan of the game and will be back, I know it's going to take some time to "put out the fires".
    But with a full time job and a few kids, the time I do get to sit down and relax is valuable. If it crashes right at the end of a route, I have to wait until tomorrow to give it another shot.

• Like Like x 4
  12. furiousbigface

furiousbigface Member

I've been playing this game since TSW 2020 on PS4, upgraded to PS5 and it's changed a hell of a lot since then for the better, although there has been issues that we all put up with and we know that bugs will get fixed and the Preservation crew do some fantastic work. However, this year Rush Hour has been difficult along with the upgrades, new gaming platforms and storefronts etc and it's a shame to see some of the DLC suffer. The Developers have worked extra hard and gamers are frustrated and rightly so. No one wants the end product eg, London Commuter in the condition it is currently in, its not enjoyable to play at the moment. All the build up and the positivity leading up to its release has gone in an instant replaced with an immediate backlash. Everyone is entitled to their view but for me at the moment it's back to Dresden and I'll give London Commuter another try at a later date, I'm sure then it will be worth playing and worth the extra wait to resolve its issues.

• Like Like x 5
  13. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with all the above posts.

I play TSW to enjoy and relax and play a game, not end up worrying all the time, at each glitch in the graphics, it is going to crash.

I know that DTG and others say they are going to fix stuff, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, sadly I do have to say, the eating has not been very palatable for many months this year. It also seems to be getting worse. Actions speak louder than typed or spoken words.

What I believe the community wants to see, is the releases fixed, not more new routes. That we also seem to be end up with lots of bugs and issues. Ok I will give you there are bound to be the "Odd" bug, but it would seem that it is far from the "Odd" bug now.

Anyway my take on it.

Certainly not buying anything at all for a long while, even then, not till this community says it is fixed and works well.

• Like Like x 8