PlayStation Steam Engines?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by schram.bryan, Jan 10, 2020.

1. schram.bryan

schram.bryan Member

Are there any steam engines planned for this game or is it only Diesels and Electrics? i only just picked this game up a week ago when it was on sale for PS4

• Like Like x 2
  2. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Only DTG know. It's been 3 years since release and we haven't heard anything about when or if steam locomotives will come. All DTG have said is that they 'would like to bring steam to TSW at some point,' but they have said that about the Editor, VR Support, Multiplayer, Engine Driver support, etc, etc, so nobody (except maybe DTG) knows if or when we'll see them.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. schram.bryan

schram.bryan Member

So far I’m digging the game since I got a bundle for $15 on the PlayStation store. But hopefully there will be steam. I would love to rumble over the rails with some railroad music playing while listening to the drivers of a steam engine going.

• Like Like x 3
  4. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

What's that?
    Can you explain more?

5. Digital Draftsman

I meant to say Rail Driver, it's the game controller which mimicks locomotive controls. http://raildriver.com/

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. schram.bryan

schram.bryan Member

Well I hope there will be. I’d love to see some good ol American steam.

• Like Like x 2
  7. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

This is only my personal opinion but I hope there isnt Steam for TSW. For the simple reason that there will be multiple requests for this type of steam loco, or this one as its better and so on and so fourth. Yes its just my own opinion but just hope their isnt. I almost despise the option of having steam locos in the game as much as I hate the thought of multiplayer. We dont need it. :)

8. Digital Draftsman

What a peculiar reason to not want steam locomotives. There are multiple requests for different types of diesel and electric locomotives as well, shall we just have TSW with no trains at all, would that satisfy? Very strange indeed.

• Like Like x 4
  9. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Nuclear trains FTW, I think there was only one ever! :)

10. schram.bryan

schram.bryan Member

While I see his point about steam engines I completely disagree. To not have steam would be disrespectful to the industry. That’d be like having a truck sim without any conventional trucks. Modern is good but never is it wrong to have the classics.

11. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Isn't the official line that Steam is incompatible with how the game plays (or something along that lines)? Personally, i'd love to see Steam added for variety.

12. TomGardinerUK

TomGardinerUK New Member

This whole game needs variety - so yeah, steam would be brilliant to eventually come to Train Sim World. There's a lot of steam engines I particularly would like to see on it. In fact, there's a lot of things on Train Simulator that should be brought to TSW. :D

13. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I believe they said it is possible but they're figuring out how to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

The main focus of TSW is on reality. So the question is how a steam locomotive could be controlled realistically. That would only be possible with highly simplified controls, which in turn calls critics into the picture. It's difficult enough to drive the Class 101 because of the gearbox.

A Playstation is a console, not a computer. No mouse, keyboard, no other input devices. It would be very difficult to control a steam locomotive using a controller or visual switches. Is that still fun? Either you make compromises in the reality or with a comfortable control.

My focus is more on entertainment, so I would have a simplified control. But that would not please everyone. DTG could bring out a simple DLC without a route, a kind of museum train. So you could experience the resonance. Would be a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

On the consoles we're fine with using the crosshair (mostly because keyboard and mouse functionality is broken/not there).

What's there to stop two modes? There could be a simple mode that doesn't have all of the features and a more complex more that has got more things there.

16. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

That's something, I suppose. It's not a 'no', at least.