Steam-era Timetable For Northern Trans-pennine (using The Content From Liverpool-crewe)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WonterRail, May 20, 2022.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

So I just made a post on one of the Spirit of Steam threads talking about what other UK routes could the locos and wagons from Liverpool-Crewe be layered into, such as having rail tour services on routes like Great Western Express, Brighton Main Line & East Coastway, as well as pondering about whether to use the LPC content to form to basis of a steam timetable on West Somerset, or to just go and make a separate West Somerset Steam Pack for that (I tend to ponder for the later). But there was one other idea I had for bringing the LPC content over to other routes, and this idea I had I thought was so good, I felt like it deserved it's own suggestion thread in order to go into more detail about it.

So the idea I have in mind is for Northern Trans-Pennine, and this was inspired by the second stream DTG did back during March Madness when there was a brief discussion about where else to put the Liverpool-Crewe locos on and I remember NTP was mentioned as one possible route. Now you could just a put a steam rail tour service on that route, like what I brought up on the that other thread. But you know what, I had a better idea in mind...

Instead of a simple rail tour run for the existing timetable, What about a full blown separate timetable that is set during the steam-era.

…and the best thing about this idea is that you don't even need to make a separate DLC for this, as this timetable could be made out of the content available with the upcoming Liverpool-Crewe. The think behind this is that both locos available with that route did run on that route back in the day and at certain angles, NTP kinda does look a bit like a steam-era route. It's probably not exactly like how it was back in steam days as there probably was a lot more trackage & stations back then, compared to when the route we have right now is set (1983) and even compared to nowadays, but you could get the same vibe considering the fact that NTP has a lot of grime and dirt for the time period it is set in, which wouldn't be too out of place in a steam-era. Plus, considering the step gradients on this route, especially going over the Pennine's, this would provide a unique challenge driving a steam loco up these inclines and be quite a site to look back and watch from a distance.

Maybe the chances for this ever happening is highly unlikely, but I would never say never to it. Plus, something like this would look far more authentic and believable than something like the Diesel Legends Pack for GWE or the 1938 stock running on a modern Bakerloo Line. I'm just going to end this suggestion off with a couple of images that I was able to find that did show NTP during the days of steam and you will see that it doesn't look all that dissimilar to the 1983 set route that we currently have now in TSW2. I look forward to seeing what you have to make of this idea, but for now, enjoy the images!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One thing I will note about these images is that they specifically have either the Jubilee or the 8F in them. Just to prove that they did run on this route back in the day. Of course, if I find any new images (and more importantly, if any new ideas come to mind) I'll come back and update this suggestion as accordingly.

Images Sources:

• Like Like x 16
  2. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

As a way for DTG to recoup some of the cost for creating a new timetable, perhaps they could sell it as a very cheap DLC (like $5-10?) as all the locos and rollingstock can all come from spirit of steam.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

For me it would be better if they did some smaller locos, a few more wagon types and then did a pack which expands on Crewe Liverpool AND adds into NTP (and maybe adds a new steam gala layer onto WSR)
    The more generic usable stuff we get is better than lots of bits all over the place

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I would support this as driving NTP with steam, even in its 1980’s era depiction, would be far more enjoyable than dreary Crewe to Liverpool. Give it a “Legends” treatment, maybe throw in a Black Five and buffet car and I would happily pay £20 for it.

5. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Also excited to get steam onto NTP. As mentioned on a stream awhile ago I do hope DTG consider making some additional timetables to get steam onto other routes such as NTP and WSR as well as what the community create!

• Like Like x 1