Steam In America.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Warringtons, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Warringtons

Warringtons New Member

Just recently I started to read up more and more on US railroads and found I loved the idea of these beautiful master pieces of engineering working in some of the hardest remote conditions, the romance of it all. Now I have always been into locomotives from a distance but only really dived into it more when I bought TSW a few years back and it’s grown on me over time and now I am at this point. Trying to get information together to recreate accurate markings for rolling stock etc even tho I am using LPC stock to achieve this. I am looking for someone to try and team up with to achieve something I feel enthusiasts may want when it comes to Steam locomotives in the US. I noticed noting much in the way of routes made in scenario planner based around steam in the US, it just could be no one wants to mix British Steam locos into a US environment because it’s not realistic and I agree. Hence why I am suggesting a new American steam route and seeing if this is a good idea for the community and DTG to consider as a whole. So until then here is a recent route I have done so you could get some idea of what a route like this could look like if done. It features a LMS Stanier 8F in Union Pacific livery and with US cars an caboose. So I hope you like this idea and if so let’s see if it could be done if the community or if DTG feels theres a gap in the market that needs filling by something like this. Please let me know you thoughts.
    IMG_5026.JPG IMG_5025.JPG IMG_5030.JPG IMG_5028.JPG IMG_5029.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It seems like based on other comments that DTG is currently not going to work on steam projects for the forseeable future. And given how much more complex US steam locos are compared to UK, I dont expect any US steam locos to come to TSW for quite a few years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

There's also no manual firing. Dtg said they would release an update with manual firing for sos but it's still being worked on. So I'm also assuming until that happens, dtg are unlikely to release more steam routes since manual firing is a really important feature for lots of people

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is that the US Steam locomotives can be a 0-6-0 all the way to a 4-8-8-4 wheel configuration. For the Mountain routes these are 4-8-8-4 configuration which has different Physics than a 8F

• Like Like x 1
  5. Warringtons

Warringtons New Member

Hi Thanks for replying. Obviously I wasn’t aware of this and guess if that’s the case it’s dead in the water. Which is a shame really as I thought it maybe possible now with the next gen consoles to cope with those larger locomotives which are more inherently technical when it comes to the running gear etc. I just thought that with some steam routes being on TSW for PC they would try for consoles. Maybe it’s too much work or just too expensive for them to do. Either way if that the case for me personally I can’t be bothered with repeat DLCs themes if some of history’s most iconic railways or locomotives won’t be coming to console.

6. Warringtons

Warringtons New Member

Hi Thank for posting. I am aware of the different classifications and like you say it’s gaining the physical behaviour of some these locomotives which are long gone or just technically difficult to do with the larger locos like 4014 and 844. If that’s the case surly they could do something like a Shay geared locomotive. Are they people that want things like these as Alternatives. I don’t know but like I’ve just said in another comment it looks dead in the water. Thank you anyway.

7. Warringtons

Warringtons New Member

I’m not sure about this,,but when I first started to play SofS it was on manual setting which I’d have to be the fireman to keep steam pressure up for the cylinders. I remember some update a few months back was released because players couldn’t get steam up so DTG placed the settings to automatic firing. So I assume it could be put back to manual in the settings. Like I say I’m not sure on the situation now but if that is true then I really am barking up the wrong tree when comes DTG fixing bugs. Because last time I got in touch with DTG I wasn’t complaining about faulty products but apparently it’s a players demands?. When they said that I knew I would be wasting my time. Hence I’m still waiting for my SofS Plates from Mastery and it’s been months from when it was released. So yes the idea of steam in America is nothing but a Pipe Dream. Worth a try tho.

8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The manual firing is very basic. You can only control the firebox, dampers, and blower and whatever. You can't control the water injectors and other valves and stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Warringtons

Warringtons New Member

I thought it was because I’m no expert on steam locomotives I have a basic understanding of what goes on as I was messing around with the water valves on the tender to see if it would do anything to the water levels but nothing changed as far as know. So by the sounds of it you have a better understanding of bringing it altogether in a more complex way of real steam workings, Driver and Fireman and is what you may want to see for a more realistic experience when it comes to steam locomotives functionality. But I believe after reading a recent post that DTG will not be doing future steam projects because of certain issues around things we have touched upon. I might pluck the courage up to do a video so I can personally get a better understanding by talking to users live about steam in general and about the work I do. We’ll have to see. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

10. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

Also they need to fix the fireman shoveling coal into the firebox and it looks unreal for them to shoveling nothing into the firebox