Stop The Sun From Leaking Into The Cab

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Ding, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ding

Ding Member

I had this happen before but while I was waiting for a signal to turn green today (and had a pretty overcast sky with and without sunlight coming through) I took the chance to screenshot the problem: The sun (or maybe just some flare effect attached to it, can't tell) can leak into the cab, making awkward reflections on surfaces where there shouldn't be any.

This happens when the sun is somewhere behind you and especially a problem on the BR 425 S-Bahn, where it can be next to impossible to read your displays because of the reflections. Note that this has nothing to do with sunlight coming through your windows, this is rendered correctly. It's just some weird flare/reflection effect from the sun behind you like your cab doesn't have a roof.

Here are the screenshots in a BR 185 cab, note the yellow-ish reflections on the displays, once with and once without - depending on clouds currently blocking the sun or not. Is there a way to fix this? Or is this a UE4 issue?

20200405120254_1.jpg
    20200405120518_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s to do with the shadow and lighting system DTG use in TSW. For some reason any external light source shines through solid walls inside of trains.

This has been a problem ever since the launch of TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  3. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I cant believe this bug still exists in 2022

4. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Will this be fixed in TSW3 ?

5. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Will this be fixed? Let's remember the transition from TSW 2020 to TSW2 ...
    All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG Alex

Is DTG aware of the massive lighting issues in TSW2 and will this be fixed?

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Technically it's an occlusion issue rather than a lighting issue and no doubt there's memory issues an dother issues when you have a load of trains casting and blocking light all over the place. They said similarly on the Brighton Mainline route a while back, that there were occlusions in place which caused all sorts of memory drain

8. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Hello, thanks for the ping!

In case you haven't seen it yet, I've linked below to a point in our Q&A with JD and Matt Peddlesden where they discuss lighting, specifically in regards to the night-time lights but then more generally about our lighting systems overall.

Lighting as a whole is something we're looking at internally and we'll talk again to greater depth when we have more details about it :)

• Like Like x 1