Strange Shadow Bug

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Doomotron, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I have been making a route for TS but there's this weird shadow bug that only appears at certain angles and distances. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix it or what may be causing it. For context, I have the AP track and weather EPs and I have the UKTS freeware packs enabled.

image.jpg

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Does it appear too if you disable AP weather? Is the AP weather pack activated on route level (Object Set Filter)? Does it apply to your used TemplateRoute?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2022
  3. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Reminds me a lot of those All Aboard invisible road vehicles having their big shadow cast.
    Might be some big invisible object that actually has a... block box. I'm sure it has a proper name. But no visible texture, from this angle at least.

4. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Short answer': No and No. I tried more than once to figure out what it is and what causes it. It's something from the internal rendering process. It appears only once per route at a specific location.

5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Allaboard was missing the RSDL\IslandLine (road traffic used) activated on route level in the Object Set Filter, that fixed it. It is the rare case in which an Addon (ScaleRoads) calls another Addon (IslandLine) invisible for the user.

I am asking because I have not experienced the OP's issue and I'm sure it has something to do with the AP packs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I don't accept a "No" easily, have found fixes for things people thought weren't doable.

Doomotron , can you zip your route folder and post it here?

7. Doomotron

The Sky and Weather EP is installed but not activated in the route. The template route is either GEML or ECML.
    I will DM you since I don't want it to be public. The requirements are the Academy, GEML, ECML, Settle to Carlisle, all of the scenery UKTS Freeware Packs, and while I'm not certain it's used you'll probably want to have DPSimulation's Cresston and Strawberry Line routes (including the latter's additional assets).

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Doomotron, I've checked your route and could not reproduce the shadow, neither in World or Scenario editor nor in playing. I've moved around the map trying different heights and angles - all fine.

So what's different between our installations is that I don't have AP track or weather pack. I suspect the error there.

11.png
    12.png
    44.png
    33.png

I cannot get the terrain to appear as bright as in your screenshot - mine are in clear weather and 12:00 summertime. Could be your phone's camera though, brightening stuff up.

So you've chosen ECMLS as your route's template. It may be that ECMLS's sky has been altered by the AP weather pack and is therefore active on your route too (as it uses RSC\ECMLS\Environment\Sky)

My settings: Scenery Quality & Density 100%, ViewDistance 66%, Shadows 75%, Water 100%.
    For testing always: Ambient Light, Contrast, Brightness and Sunlight Intensity: Default
    GPU: NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (Driver 391.35, deliberately not updated - never change a running system;))

So, hope this helps - your route and all assets are OK, that's what I can conclude. If you removed the AP weather from ECMLS, I'd be interested if the issue persists. If yes it may be a graphics driver issue, someone on the Steam forums reported this when using DSGDDR locos - I could again not reproduce the issue (but found a dead texture reference in one of the locos while investigating).

Btw: Quaint little station, very nice.

Edit: If I had encountered the same issue I would've tried removing the houses that share parallel lines with the shadow. But there's nothing I can do on my end as everything's ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Doomotron

Thanks for your help. I will try both suggestions and see if it fixes the issue.

(Also thanks for the compliment) :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Any update on this? Renaming the TimeOfDay folder in the Assets\RSC\ECMLS folder should disable the AP sky in case you were not aware.

11. Doomotron

The issue is still there, although I will try that method and see if it works.

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I have tested it - it is the AP Weather EP causing this in conjunction with the UKTS Clutter assets. 100%.

Update: I have started removing all assets - it is tied to a specific one. Give me a moment.

Doomotron Maik Goltz , I have located the problem!

The asset that causes this in conjunction with AP Weather, is this one: FP Cardboard Box 1c (PB) from the UKTS_FP Clutter PB. Remove that cardboard box and the sky is fixed!

Edit: Even weirder: You only need to rotate it a little and you see the shadow appear and disappear! The other two are in a good angle, by chance. Rotate them a little and the shadow reappears.

I think there is an issue with its GeoPcDx that interferes with the AP sky GeoPcDx when it is facing one specific direction.

2022-06-28 13_24_58-Train Simulator (x64).png 2022-06-28 13_25_10-Train Simulator (x64).png

Cardboard Rotation bug:

2022-06-28 13_52_58-Train Simulator (x64).png 2022-06-28 13_53_09-Train Simulator (x64).png

I have some explanations in my mind but I am not a modeler. I think the AP sky is not the real issue - it just makes another issue reveal itself here, which is hidden by the foggier standard season files, and different (better) SunRadius/SunScale parameters AP uses.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I have tried other cardboards, they don't show this behaviour and shadowcasting error. So be careful with those aged assets.

What I have not tested, is if the sun's position has something to do with it. So by just rotating the boxes, the shadow could reappear at a different time of day.

I suggest NOT using those UKTS Cardboard boxes at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022
  14. Doomotron

Thanks for the further experimentation; I thought the old assets might have had something to do with it but as I didn't make that section (my friend and I work on the route together) I wasn't sure exactly what assets each one was and I didn't think it would be worth experimenting. That shadow glitch is a very strange one which admittedly I never would have seriously expected. Again, thanks for your help.